new gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna try a 150' 11mm Tachyon with a tight eye splice for my Dbrt climbing. Throw in a static line and some hand ascenders and I'm off on SRT.

I went all out and had both ends of my 120' tachy spliced. I wish I had pics of the new setup, it's really condensed. I am doing six things at once up here and on a new computer on dial up. Every chance I get to sit with the computer, well lets just say reducing and uploading pics doesn't cut it.

I went all out and had both ends of my 120' tachy spliced. I wish I had pics of the new setup, it's really condensed. I am doing six things at once up here and on a new computer on dial up. Every chance I get to sit with the computer, well lets just say reducing and uploading pics doesn't cut it.

How do you like the rope?

Doesn't splicing both ends make it a pain to pull through some devices? I don't think I would want to have to shove a splice through my Spiderjack.

How do you like the rope?

Doesn't splicing both ends make it a pain to pull through some devices? I don't think I would want to have to shove a splice through my Spiderjack.

I don't need no stinking devices. I'm trying to keep off the devices. I don't want my job to get to easy. :dizzy:Don't worry you'll love the tachy. It is a real well constructed rope.

Man I wanna new saddle bad. I got a master 3 saddle about 8 years ago or so. It's really still in good shape just can't get it tight for nothing anymore.
Getting tired of trying to get that last 1/4 inch. So I have to stop in the tree often and keep pulling it up.

I'm considering the Petzl Sequoia Saddle. Any of you guys wear that saddle? I like the clip clip clip and go.
The time I spend messing with mine anymore sucks. :computer:

rayray, get a new saddle. i work with a couple guys that love their sequoia.

looks like i picked up a little side jammy for tomw. pine in the back yard all beat up from the storm. should be about 1hr in the new saddle so we'll see.

all the **** stays but i gotta drag it over to the other side of the yard and buck up the stem....450$ i am thinking no more than 5hr total. we'll see. tonight's weather isnt helping the cause any.

rayray, get a new saddle. i work with a couple guys that love their sequoia.

looks like i picked up a little side jammy for tomw. pine in the back yard all beat up from the storm. should be about 1hr in the new saddle so we'll see.

all the **** stays but i gotta drag it over to the other side of the yard and buck up the stem....450$ i am thinking no more than 5hr total. we'll see. tonight's weather isnt helping the cause any.

Thanks Olddirty I think I will. I was just talking it over with my wife and now she thinks I may fall out of it now. We know that wont happen but hey lets not tell her that I wanna new saddle. heh heh :cheers:

Got an older pair of gloves so you don't get that pine sap on your regular gloves?

I'm going to do it fellas, I'm going to do it. :blob2:
I'm on my way to get my new Petzl Sequoia Saddle.

Wife's at work and doesn't know yet. She's may be a little pissy, can I stay with you guys for a day or two?
LOL a little.

get the SRT version...
Well now you tell me. Just got back with the Petzl Sequoia Saddle, the ones with the 3 buckles. The other one..SRT was like my old Master saddle 3. With the side strap pulls.

Plus I got a me a new 9' Gillion lanyard...and a couple new carabiners.
One of them is the black plastic saw holder that has a little bit of a flat back to it. Keeping outright instead of falling to the sides.

Good way to start the new season for sure.

Next is the small 11mm climbing line. Guys use that yet? Man it's so much smaller and lighter. Yeah that's next.

I'm gonna make the saddle switch, before the wife gets home.

Last edited:
Oldirty I owe it all to you. :cheers:
Had you not of started this conversation I wouldn't of done it just yet.
For a couple of years now I've been fighting this old saddle of mine.
By the time I get it tight I almost wanna sit down and rest a minute, then it's still not tight but I made it work, stopping and pulling the thing back up and straight, every few minutes.

Told the wife a new saddles coming soon. Not at the end of summer either.

It was cheaper than I thought...319.00. Go for it bro it's gonna be worth it. :cheers:

Last edited:
lol. glad i could help motivate your money out your pocket.

test ran that saddle today....not bad at all. that new flinline adjuster is the bomb diggity as well.

hey ray, you talking about the petzl caritool? careful with that thing after some time putting weight on it. she'll let go on you.

Yeah the petzl caritool. It's just for the climbing saw.

OH S:censored: wife's home.. gotta tell her how good she looks today.

Well she took it well.
Yeah that petzl caritool is going to be nice. So you say it gives out after a while? Even just with saws? :computer:

Definitely be keepin' an eye on it. I like my STIHL's but they can't take a fall. And I could only imagine what my helps head would look like with a STIHL hanging out of it.

Well she took it well.
Yeah that petzl caritool is going to be nice. So you say it gives out after a while? Even just with saws? :computer:

Definitely be keepin' an eye on it. I like my STIHL's but they can't take a fall. And I could only imagine what my helps head would look like with a STIHL hanging out of it.
the caritool is very fragile, i have broke many of them, i have most problems with loosing the gates:mad:

Well doesn't that suck? Man I can't afford to drop one saw.
After looking at it again. The wire gate does look like it could get messed up easy before long.

If it does, I wont buy another one.

Saw on a rope huh? Man I don't know...
I like to hang upside down and one hand saws sometimes. I can see that getting in the way. :computer:

I use a bungee break away and haven't noticed it in the way. If anything I like the fact that I can let the saw down without having to clip it in.

Back