new gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldirty

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
in an attempt to stimulate the economy i went on a little spending spree. taxes came in, lol. any way i went to one of our sponsors for most of the stuff i got. Tree Stuff.com is a good spot and a sponsor so i thought i would get loose there.

3 pair of arborwear at short money on a sale. and a couple tshirts.

a few biners and some prussics and a pulley.

but i went all out on the petzl navajo mini boss. a couple of the boys at work wowed me with the sequoia. i took a long look at that miniboss and jumped. so far i have been in the lab tweaking on it so tomw will be its maiden voyage in a tree.

rec climb of course because i am on vacation all week.

i was hanging from the rafters and it felt good. light. nice fit. the way the saddle is set up i think it is similar to a pinnacle, which was my first saddle. but i climb completely different that when i started so i threw a rope bridge to the rings. like i said, i was hanging from the rafters so we'll see how it goes in the tree tomw.

but so far i am most excited about a new use i found for my isc swivel snap biner. put some cordage on it and turned it into a self tending flipline biner.

thanks tom dunlap for the GREAT idea. for real, should check it out if you are using that particular biner or you dont want to have a pulley out there tending the slack on your flip.

anyway i just wanted to share.

Looking forward to your review. I'm looking at a petzl harness right now myself.

What ever happened to Tom Dunlap? Why don't he post here anymore??? Maybe I'm just missing his posts. He is one of the guys who I totally looked forward to reading his input when I started out on this forum..

sure does rf. some times it pays not having to worry about anyone else. lol

tree md, i look forward to it too. last saddle i got i jumped all over with some hate but i am gonna just put some climbs together first this time.

i will miss the bigger accessory loops on the back of my other other saddle but i'll figure something out.

tell you what though this is going to be an awesome summer saddle. nothing to it and fits snug. i like that.

i think i am going to go hop in a couple monsters up in the bird sanctuary tomw. i got some new ropes that i need to dirty up.

...but i went all out on the petzl navajo mini boss.
i was hanging from the rafters and it felt good. light. nice fit. ....

Oldirty - what are you doing? I just bought a Dragonfly a couple months ago on your recomendation. Man. Some folks just hang their rope in any new saddle that flashes its D cups -- I mean rings -- at them. No decency at all.

Last edited:
lol.

she a good saddle for sure man, no doubt. i cant say a bad word about that saddle other than the bridge. i just wanted something else. you liking the dfly?

Liking it Real Well. I love the bridge. I opened it up long enough to put the eye of an ISC Swivel biner on it. Use it with a small lion's paw for traversing, and i can swivel 360 even on a traverse without twisting any ropes. Beats the heck out of my Buck Traverse, which I liked well enough until I saw your Dragonfly. The Traverse just locked me in to one position on a traverse. Couldn't rotate on it. When I thought about putting the eye of the swivel biner on the bridge of the Dragonfly I had to have one. I could have put the swivel on my Traverse, but I like keeping my friction hitch as close to the bridge as possible. The Dragonfly has a tighter bridge than the traverse anyway, and then by putting the ISC directly on the bridge I save the length of another biner.

The swivel also helps when using a STOP or I'd. Dont have to worry how you put it on to keep the handle from getting caught up in the ropes.

Only problem with the Dragonfly is it was only available in 2 sizes. Small fits me best, but the D rings are a little behind my hips. Wish they were a little in front of the hip bones.

Last edited:
whats the climbing system you are using? a STOP? what that?

are you saying you put the captive eye on the brigde? got a pic of the setup?

Oldirty - what are you doing? I just bought a Dragonfly a couple months ago on your recomendation. Man. Some folks just hang their rope in any new saddle that flashes its D cups -- I mean rings -- at them. No decency at all.

If the Dragonfly is anything like it's B-cup II sister you've still got a great saddle!:)

If the Dragonfly is anything like it's B-cup II sister you've still got a great saddle!:)

You guys have to get your minds out of the gutter. :jester:

Looking forward to some pics on that stuff. Swivel biner? I'll have to look that one up.

Hey, dirty if your looking to go on a road trip during your vacation swing on over to the Catskills and we'll do a rec climb in my giant white pine. Maybe pick up Moss on the way. I'm just hanging here.

Tom D is a mod over at the buzz if you want to talk with him:)

the stop & i'd are petzl descender's, both are differnt but do the same dizzle, the i'd is about 1 hundo more and just a better tool imo. there are better things to use but cost much more money.:)

Yes, I took the bridge loose on the Dfly and put it through the captive eye of the ISC "Swivel Captive Eye" biner (page 45 Sherrill 2008 catalog). I also left the original ring on the bridge, for an additional attachment point. Then, for a traverse, I put the small rigging plate (page 62 2008 catalog) on the ISC and I am good to go for as many as 3 traverse points or redirects with 360 degree freedom of rotation.

Dont have a picture here with me tonight, but maybe i can get one for tomorrow.

I could have done the same thing with a Petzl Swivel, but then I would have had to add a 'biner anyway. And, the Petzl swivel is $70. The ISC was only $34. I guess a Locking Swivel Rope Snap would also work for $25, but it is heavier, has less hook space, and does not swivel as easily.

Last edited:
nice. thats what i thought when i read it.

whats the system? splittail on a blakes?

I keep a split tail with a Michoacan usually on my right, and it is my primary if i am not on a traverse. The second tie in for the traverse is usually a blakes. That way the second friction hitch is out away from my bridge, to give me a little more working room.

Latest posts

Back