New guy mistake, be nice!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJC

Reaction score
Alright, here goes.

I have a Stihl MS290. I was doing some work with it this evening and was in kind of a rush to get things done. In my haste I accidently poured some chain oil in the gas tank. I realized my mistake immediately and poured the whole lot out. I tried to wipe it out as best I could and put in new gas. As expected, it wouldn't fire and as of right now will not. Surely, I am not the first to do this?! Someone please tell me how to remedy this problem. Thanks in advance and let the ribbing commence!

You might try filling the tank with gas a couple times and swishing it around in there. That will dilute the oil and carry it out when you dump it. Pull the plug and blow it off. Should fire.

I STILL do that sometimes on my Echo 3400...the caps are opposite everything else these days.

You may be able to put a small amount of premix in the carb enough to get it running and after several times of doing this and cleaning the plug it should clear.
If all else fails I open up the carb and clean out the oil and it is good to go. OF course I only do this stunt myself when I am out in the woods so I hike alot when I space

Definitely chuck the fuel filter (replace) and clean out the fuel line. If the oil only got to the pump side of the carb, it will usually clean out. If it got though to the metering chamber, it likely won't, and you'll need to clean out the carb also.

If you didn't pull it over a lot, it may just have choked up the filter and fuel line line. Try leaving it full of gas overnight... after you clean out the fuel hose and replace the filter.

had the gasket blow which sperates the bar and chain oil and the gas so it all mixed together while running, after a new fuel filter and new tanks it runs fine, you didnt kill your saw just super lubricated the engine...haha dont worry about, try all the advice everyone else has offered and if all else fails bring it to your dealer, it wont be the first time they have seen it.

I drank a quart of bar oil for 20 bux in my younger days. Does that count?

Mix gas in the bar oil tank is Much more worrisome to me. Dunno how all those oil pump aprts react to solvents such as fuel.

I've never done that!

Lies, lies, lies....

Get a small Echo...your chances of doing it will increase. It's as if you bought a car and the manufacturer reversed the position of the clutch and brake.

Pest: I've done that once when I was in a hurry.

I have started to do it three times I think. The reason being I hated the saw sinceI first got it. I had my last climbing job a few years back and there were no other choices available to me on short notice. I only grabbed it after that for occasional use here on my homestead and of course after working on a bunch of other top handles and sending them out for customers. My driveway is pretty long with a crop of alders that I keep for smoke chips and most heavt snows I am cutting my way out before I plow.

I never have filled it all the way up but enough to make my job 10 minutes longer:dizzy:

Alright, here goes.

I have a Stihl MS290. I was doing some work with it this evening and was in kind of a rush to get things done. In my haste I accidently poured some chain oil in the gas tank. I realized my mistake immediately and poured the whole lot out. I tried to wipe it out as best I could and put in new gas. As expected, it wouldn't fire and as of right now will not. Surely, I am not the first to do this?! Someone please tell me how to remedy this problem. Thanks in advance and let the ribbing commence!
I have never done that,although I have done some less than smart things.:hmm3grin2orange:
I drank a quart of bar oil for 20 bux in my younger days. Does that count?

Mix gas in the bar oil tank is Much more worrisome to me. Dunno how all those oil pump aprts react to solvents such as fuel.

I have never done that,although I have done some less than smart things:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :jawdrop:

All is well. I left the saw for a couple of hours, came back and tried it. It seemed to want to start. Finally, after several minutes of pulling it started and stayed on. Thanks again for all the knowledge and support!:bowdown:

Back