New guy to saws, where to start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quicksilver500

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking to learn about saws. I have been reading through a bunch of threads on the site about different saws. I recently had a big red oak fall across my yard into my neighbors and a friend and I cut it up back to my property line using a trio of Husqvarna saws. I used a 55 model with a 20" setup. I enjoyed it so much and with so many other trees on the property I feel I can rationalize an investment :chainsaw:

Based on what I read I think I want a Stihl 028 or 034 with a 18-20" bar/chain. I can always borrow a smaller saw from my buddy if I need to (till i get my own), but I don't really like borrowing equipment. I still have about 25' of tree to cut up and the 20" baaaarely gets through it, I feel like the 55 doesn't really like the 20" bar either. So I want to get a saw I can use as a multi tool around the place and not kill myself getting through this red oak. I don't mind tinkering, I have older benz's that are quite demanding of my time and toolage.

I am leaning to the 034, there is a nice powerhead on ebay right now I am keeping an eye on. But if anyone has any other classified like sources or good reading material I'd like to take a look. These forums are just huge and general searches turn out like 1000 threads...

Appreciate any input,

-Mike

I am leaning to the 034, there is a nice powerhead on ebay right now I am keeping an eye on. But if anyone has any other classified like sources or good reading material I'd like to take a look. These forums are just huge and general searches turn out like 1000 threads...

Appreciate any input,

-Mike[/QUOTE]

be sure,,to check the persons ratings..and ebay can still be a crapshoot......its called, buyer beware...

The 028 wont be enough for the 20" bar and an 034 wont want any more than the 20". For a one saw plan always go bigger. For a 2 saw plan 50cc/70cc is what I prefer. If you end up like many here a 12 saw plan wont be enough.

I like the 034, but for a first saw, you may want to try and find an ms361. You learn alot working on your first saw and it'll be easier to get parts for the newer model. Every local shop has at least SOME stock of 361 stuff. The 034 is getting rare these days. And the 361 loves a 20" bar.

I would suggest buying in person rather than over the net(other than here or some other chainsaw board anyway). Something in the 50-70cc range is probably what you want.

I have both those saws and the 034 pulls a 20 inch bar great ive buried it in oak many times with a full chisel chain and it pulls it great the 028 is good with a 16 or 18 20 is a little much for them. Either saw will be great saws they are both considered pro grade and before stihl even made homeowner saws. Also i paid 150 for my 034 on craigslist and it runs great and looks great check your local CL for saws too.:msp_thumbsup: for stihl

OP, if you are willing to drive to my location (about 50 miles south of Atlanta) you can try out an 028 Super in some wood to see what you think. I have 16" and 18" bars that will fit it and you can do some comparison. I don't have an 034.

I live in Pike County if you want to look that up on the map.

I have two of the 028S here at the moment but neither are for sale. You can also try an 026 for comparison sake.

Actually, I have a bunch of saws and you can run whichever of them interest you.

Atalanta area c-list has 4 pages of chainsaws. Another 6401 for $250.00 on canton rd. where ever that is. I seen 2-3 272xp`s on there.

The Atlanta CL covers a very large geographic area and that makes it challenging to hunt down or sell saws on. I sometimes see a saw I would be interested in but it is 100 miles away...

What is your comfort level with saw repair? Also how much time do you have for saw repairs? What is your budget? A 034 is a nice saw, but it will be somewhat old, and will almost certainly need stuff done to keep it running. I have an older pro used saw. The important stuff still runs great, but nickel and dimey stuff does keep me busy. I'd pick up something more recently made, preferably still in production

My pops has an 034 runs a 25" bar on, and has for 22 years, no problem, neighbor has a 361 runs a 28" pulls it just fine. I have a ms 260 that wears a 20" bar, bone stock cuts everything I ask of it, and has been know to bail out my 461/046 from time to time. Keep a sharp chain on it and don't worry.

any of the middle weight saws will do the average home owner plenty good service.

I appreciate all the guidance guys. I haven't really done any saw repair, but I have rebuilt just about anything and everything on my cars (youngest is 20 yrs old, oldest is 44yrs) so I feel like with the internet I can figure it out. I'll read through that Madsens guide for sure.

-Mike

Ended up with a MS361 per thread and recommendation of the guys at the local Stihl dealer (easy to work on and parts will be avail for a long time). Got the saw off ebay ($390) from a highly rated seller with a posted "14 day return for full refund" policy so should be ok! Reading through the manual online so I should be ready when she gets here.

It begins....

-Mike

what is wrong with you guys,,,,geezzzz,, just buy one of these,,port it,,so a mm and go for it:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1XO2xB6XL5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

then if that is to small then get one of these:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pXQDJAgsiAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Its probably too late

Whatever you do, do not get a ported 385 xp from Wicked Saws.

Buy any of 50 or so saws that might be suggested by anyone on this site. Go to Wally World and buy any thing they sell. With any stock saw you have half a chance to have a normal life.

If you don't listen, you will be forever cursed by having to scour the nearby locations around Atlanta looking for bigger and bigger wood to appease the urge to feed the beast. Cutting up storm damage around your area will lead to looking for bigger and bigger and bigger wood.

Go buy something reasonable. Get something that makes sense. Do not get a professional saw and have it modded by any of the members here on AS. Heed my warning and you may have a normal life. If not . . .

enjoy the disease. :msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back