New guy with some advise needed from the pros

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillamook

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello Im new to the forum so I figured I would introduce myself and ask for some advice. I live in Tillamook Oregon I spend my off time building stickbows, hunting fishing and scouting for next years hunts.

I recently decided I would like to work in the woods and I have applied at a few different company here locally and I am tottaly green to logging. I have worked on the mill side pulling green chain and enjoyed it allot but working in the same place every day gets old and the sights to see just arent that great.

I wanted to get some advice, tips or words of wisdom from you guys on what it takes to succeed in this industry. I know its hard work and I understand it will take me a while to get my legs but I know that I can do it and I feel that I could with some time and training become a asset to any company I work for (I hope):msp_smile: I plan on starting at the bottom setting chokers so I guess any advise you can give me regarding this job would be greatly appretiated. Any advise on gear (Boots, clothing, things to have at the job) would be great.

Also any jokes tricks or pranks to be aware of for the green horn would be nice but im sure that anything you guys know will stay a secret as its probably logger code lol but if you want to share any of those please do.

I was also told that spring is a good time to apply as that is usually when the logging outfits usually start looking for more guys, not sure if that statement holds any water but im hoping so. Thanks in advance for any help or info you can give me.

Mouth shut, eye and ears open, work hard until they stop you.

Don't talk about what you want to do until you have learned what you are doing.

Leave your watch at home, lots of heavy cotton gloves and run them through the mud before your first day and don't show up with a brand new shiny hat run that through the mud also. Don't make your own rags until you see what everyone else has and why.

Oh ya, MOUTH SHUT, EYES AND EARS OPEN

Owl

Last edited:
A thought on clock-watching. I work for a government agency, and some folks within this agency are VERY MUCH clock-watchers. They take their breaks not a minute late, come back from lunch not a minute early, and leave promptly at the end of the day. Not only is it a hassle trying to work around that arbitrarily rigid and obnoxious adherence to a schedule, it divides folks down a line between "company" people and folks just trying to do a good job. Both give the other a bad name. It's probably best to just develop a strong work ethic and let that speak for itself. I was a clock-watcher myself when I was in the Navy, but that's mainly because there wasn't much else to watch. An idle mind is the devil's rumpus room.

Thick skin is a plus if you work in the woods. People will give you a hard time but don't take it personally. Every new person gets
the same treatment at every outfit. You will be responsible for your own safety. Listen to experienced hands, if they say move,
then move. Also, the woods these days has a lot of guys who have serious personal problems (drug and alcohol addiction,
personality defects, lack of communication skills) and they bring these into the work place. Succeeding in this job depends on
managing these factors. As everyone else here will tell you, it's nothing like what you see on "Axemen."

Thanks again I feel that I have a good work ethic and have never been the guy to check my watch or call breaks. I worked for railroad for 5 years doing track maintenance and in that 5 years I never once called in sick and was only sent home 1 time because I had a bad bug and the boss man didnt want me to pass it around understandably. I was also never 1 time late to work in that 5 years and was and am always willing to work long hours or weekends to get a job done. I am a hard working guy and have worked with some great guys and also some of the best SOBS out there and I liked working with all of them! I am a little concerned I may be getting old and I wish I would have started younger but im 27 and in good shape so hopefully thats not to old to make a good run at logging. My main goal would be to eventually move up to hook tender and when I cant do that anymore maybe run shovel or yarder:msp_mellow: Thanks again

A thought on clock-watching. I work for a government agency, and some folks within this agency are VERY MUCH clock-watchers. They take their breaks not a minute late, come back from lunch not a minute early, and leave promptly at the end of the day. Not only is it a hassle trying to work around that arbitrarily rigid and obnoxious adherence to a schedule, it divides folks down a line between "company" people and folks just trying to do a good job. Both give the other a bad name. It's probably best to just develop a strong work ethic and let that speak for itself. I was a clock-watcher myself when I was in the Navy, but that's mainly because there wasn't much else to watch. An idle mind is the devil's rumpus room.

That's so true. I had a major problem when I had to take or work with clock watchers in the woods. When things were going good, I usually just ate lunch while driving to another timber sale. Which is a no no, but
a fact of life. Or munch while walking. When a clock watcher came along, things had to slow down.

The be careful of the guys that might be using meth and stuff is a good one. And I tried to always have a stump picked out or a hole in the ground to dive into. Just stay alert and be aware of where all the lines are.
It is not at all like Axmen. Speaking of lunch, I'd take stuff that can be munched on as you go. Most outfits here don't stop for lunch. Take water too.

Thick skin is a plus if you work in the woods. People will give you a hard time but don't take it personally. Every new person gets
the same treatment at every outfit. You will be responsible for your own safety. Listen to experienced hands, if they say move,
then move. Also, the woods these days has a lot of guys who have serious personal problems (drug and alcohol addiction,
personality defects, lack of communication skills) and they bring these into the work place. Succeeding in this job depends on
managing these factors. As everyone else here will tell you, it's nothing like what you see on "Axemen."

Thanks Jacob I have pretty thick skin when it comes to either being a whipping boy or dealing with the meth heads and there fits on the job. I never have been one to let name calling or day to day torment bother me and I can take crap and give it with the best of em... ok the worst of em :) and lastly I Hate reality shows they pick and choose what they want the public to see, I watched the first couple shows and never looked back its your everydayreality TV BS!! Thanks allot I really appretiate your advise and input!

That's so true. I had a major problem when I had to take or work with clock watchers in the woods. When things were going good, I usually just ate lunch while driving to another timber sale. Which is a no no, but
a fact of life. Or munch while walking. When a clock watcher came along, things had to slow down.

The be careful of the guys that might be using meth and stuff is a good one. And I tried to always have a stump picked out or a hole in the ground to dive into. Just stay alert and be aware of where all the lines are.
It is not at all like Axmen. Speaking of lunch, I'd take stuff that can be munched on as you go. Most outfits here don't stop for lunch. Take water too.

slowp Thanks I always enjoy reading your posts you are a straight shooter and tell people how it is from what I have read. I am very familiar of having a couple means of excape in mind as I have been a volunteer with the fire service for 8 years and that is always somethig to be aware of, also with working mow with the railroad I always had an excape in mind if the passing train derailed while we were in a siding waiting for them to pass. Good advice on the food you can eat while things are slow I will keep that in mind. Thanks a bunch

Mouth shut, eye and ears open, work hard until they stop you.

Don't talk about what you want to do until you have learned what you are doing.

Leave your watch at home, lots of heavy cotton gloves and run them through the mud before your first day and don't show up with a brand new shiny hat run that through the mud also. Don't make your own rags until you see what everyone else has and why.

Oh ya, MOUTH SHUT, EYES AND EARS OPEN

Owl

Owl are you serious about running my gloves and hard hat through the mud or roughing them up a bit? lol I understand I will probably get some crap if I come on a job with shiny new hat boots gloves ect but im not sure getting them dirty is gonna save me any shxx kicking? Thanks anyway and I may consider that:biggrin:

Also what do you mean "dont make your own rags until you see what every one else has and why" ???

Thanks

Rags as in worn work clothes.
I wouldn't dredge anything through the mud. It's just best if you fit in and if everything on you is brand new you'll stick out.
Do get a pair of White Ox gloves, suspenders, logger cut pants, a hickory shirt, some kind of caulks, a tin hat and a lunch bucket. Put them all on and go cut wood for a day or two. You'll look the part. Better bring rainclothes too.

Do not listen to Slowp, Barbie stickers and pink are not a good addition.

Do you know any loggers, truckers, foresters, construction guys? If you do ask them about work. They may know of some one that is hiring or maybe they might know of someone that is going to be starting up.

Thanks humptulips I have most of the things you listed there except calk boots. I didnt see where sllowp suggested that stuff but maybe a Justin Bieber sticker on my tinhat or lunch box would work :) JK Thanks

Rags as in worn work clothes.

Do not listen to Slowp, Barbie stickers and pink are not a good addition.

Nonsense. They are quite the rage. You can buy some White Ox gloves and toss them in the washing machine with red shop rags. A pastel thermos is a good thing to have. I have these two in my cupboard.
If you aren't a Barbie fan, try My Kitty or Dora the Explorer.

A good thing to carry in the brush is Skin So Soft bug repellent. It doesn't do a darn thing to keep bugs off, but it makes your coworkers smell good. :D You just need to tell them it works well, then they'll use it.

Hmmf. I can't get the picture thingie to work right now.

Tillamook.

You've been given some good advice here. Maybe I can add a couple of little things that will help.

Show up. A new guy that doesn't make it to work won't last long. If your boss can depend on you to just be there and you show him you're willing to make the effort he'll be more inclined to take you seriously and teach you. Most of us would rather work with a guy we can depend on, even if he doesn't know much. We can teach the skills...we can't teach responsibility.

Show up on time. If you're catching the crummy or riding with another guy don't make them wait for you in the morning. Ever. If you're providing your own wheels make it a point to be one of the first ones to the job.

Show up with food and water. Some outfits supply the water but nobody pays a lot of attention to what's been settling into the bottom of the water tank for who knows how long. A few anti-diarrhea pills wouldn't hurt, either...just in case the water barrel on the crummy is developing it's own life forms. Bring enough food to get you through the day. Don't put mayonnaise on your sandwiches. When you pack your lunch in the morning think how those sandwiches will taste seven or eight hours from then...keep them plain and simple. Stuff a few granola bars, raisins, peanuts and such in your pockets. If you're running rigging you'll burn a lot of calories quick.

You can put a little pre-wear on your boots and hardhat and riggin' rags if you want but don't go to extremes. The guys you're working with will know you're green as soon as they see how you move. Don't worry about that. They'll razz you a little but if you get on a good crew they'll also teach you. It's in their best interests to bring you along in your skill sets. It makes everybody's job easier. Ask questions when you have a chance. Don't argue with the answers.

Don't let your mistakes defeat you. You'll screw up. New guys screw up...that's just the way it is. Try not to make the same mistakes more than once. Mistakes are a learning opportunity. There might be some yelling but it's mainly to get the point across as quickly as possible. I've never seen anyone get yelled at like they do on that goofy Ax-Men show.

Keep yourself safe. I can't emphasize that enough. If you don't know how to do something ask somebody. Watch the guys you're working with...watch how they stand, watch where they stand, watch how they move....especially in regard to working around machinery or rigging.

There's probably more but most of it's just common sense. If you have that, a decent work ethic, and a sense of humor, you'll probably do alright.

One other thing. If Slowp advises you on forestry, logging, cutting, laying out corridors....anything whatsoever to do with working in the woods...you can pretty much believe what she says. She's been there and she knows.
Do not, however, take any of her suggestions on what to wear and how to wear it. She's been on a long standing, but ill fated, mission to bring a bit of sartorial elegance to those of us who work in the woods. Somehow the fact that we're not all color coordinated in soft pastels that harmonize with the woodsy background colors is offensive to her sense of style. She pushes, we resist. We need all the help we can get.

Gologit Thanks a bunch for the reply and taking your time to type that up! I was actually hoping you would reply to this thread I appretiate and value your input very much as I do all of you guys and gals on here. Thanks allot I will have to re read this one again so I can get some of this stuff ingrained in my head! I thanks you all again allot and welcome any more input tips info or links you would like to share that may help me better prepare myself.

I have been looking at calk boots and I am really leaning toward the Wesco as they are only about an hr and a half away from me, I would also like to get a custom fit as I have a narrow flat foot and I want to do anything I can to up my performance! I am also not sure wether to get a steel toe or not? I would rather not as it will add more weight but im not sure if its required when setting chokers?

I am also searching around for a tin or aluminum orange hard hat and not really sure what I want to get or what is the lightest most comfortable brand or type. I dont want to skimp on my boots hat or clothing as its what is going to make my time in the woods safe as far as hat and cloths and comfortable as far as boots and rain gear staying dry. Any input on rain gear would be great also. I have Grundens hoping they will work:msp_unsure: Thanks again every one I cant tell you how much I appretiate your input!

Nonsense. They are quite the rage. You can buy some White Ox gloves and toss them in the washing machine with red shop rags. A pastel thermos is a good thing to have. I have these two in my cupboard.
If you aren't a Barbie fan, try My Kitty or Dora the Explorer.

A good thing to carry in the brush is Skin So Soft bug repellent. It doesn't do a darn thing to keep bugs off, but it makes your coworkers smell good. :D You just need to tell them it works well, then they'll use it.

Hmmf. I can't get the picture thingie to work right now.

:bang::bang::bang:

A heads up on Wescos. Ask if they still use the "exclusive" Wesco spikes. Then, if they do, ask how much replacement spikes cost. Wesco was doing this, and the spikes were spendy. When you get new boots, try to wear them a while or you may be in for blisters. I had no problem with new Wescos, but some of the loggers did.

I worked several years on a timber marking/cruising crew. We had a saying about water. We would share our water the first time you forgot to bring any or enough. The second time? You were on your own. Our boss would drive off and leave at the exact time each day. If you weren't in the van, you got left. He would leave guys who were walking across the parking lot, or running. He'd be yelling, "YOU CAN RUN BUT YOU'LL STILL BE LATE." They either had to take the day off, with no pay, or drive their own car out.

It might seem rough, but we got a lot of work done.

Last edited:
Back