New guy with some advise needed from the pros

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks cedarkerf

I was told to bring a backpack with me down into the brush so I can carry my gear. What kind of gear mite that be? I was thinking toilet paper,rain gear, extra gloves, water, lunch maybe some duck tape? What would you all suggest to pack in there? I dont want to stuff too much weight in there but want to know some good ideas please. thanks

As long as you have #### tickets and water, you can put in the day.

Stag pants will help keep a little air flow over your legs. Cuffs kind of end up sealing the heat in. Nobody likes Schwety Balls..........

Last edited:
Thanks cedarkerf

I was told to bring a backpack with me down into the brush so I can carry my gear. What kind of gear mite that be? I was thinking toilet paper,rain gear, extra gloves, water, lunch maybe some duck tape? What would you all suggest to pack in there? I dont want to stuff too much weight in there but want to know some good ideas please. thanks

Don't forget the Skin So Soft bug repellent. An old tire and some matches might come in handy too. :msp_ohmy:

I carry a first aid kit on me at all times. It's in the pouch on my CamelBak. I always need water, so why not carry a first aid kit too? Oh, and ear plugs, and a ##### pad on the right shoulder... CamelBak is a pretty important tool for me!

Thank you guys for all the suggestions! Not sure why but madhatte the shoulder something was xed out? What were you talking about? The camelback idea sounds nice I think as you wont have to go to your water jugs to get a drink its always with you so you can keep working.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions! Not sure why but madhatte the shoulder something was xed out? What were you talking about? The camelback idea sounds nice I think as you wont have to go to your water jugs to get a drink its always with you so you can keep working.

I think he meant a shoulder pad like the fallers wear. You probably shouldn't wear one of those to work in the rigging.

Ya thats what I thought too but I thought it may come in handy if carying cable on the shoulder but maybe there is no need. Now im probably just over thinking all this lol Thanks a bunch

I think he meant a shoulder pad like the fallers wear. You probably shouldn't wear one of those to work in the rigging.

Yes and, hrmm, yes, probably. I just got in the habit after ruining a few shirts packing a saw over my shoulder. The leather is cheap and lasts a long time. I don't mind looking goofy.

Yes and, hrmm, yes, probably. I just got in the habit after ruining a few shirts packing a saw over my shoulder. The leather is cheap and lasts a long time. I don't mind looking goofy.

I use one and an axe tin. I get made fun of alot. But piss on em. Where what you want and be yourself as long as its safe.

I think for a production cutter that the camelbak is about the best "modd" for increased production. For about 2years we have been using them and it sure cuts down if not eliminates waste of time trips to the truck or carrying around another jug with your gas/oil, or just plain stopping to drink. We drink while walking the log from butt to top and when cutting the tree down at the stump ..... work and drink at the same time, never thirsty.

I hang my "tally counter" for counting trees down, cell phone, walkie talkie, orange screwdriver and 50' tape on mine. I feel naked cutting trees if I don't have it on, and wear it whether I have water in it or not, LOL.

I actually prefer a cheap one found at Walmart .... they have several, but it seems to work the best for me. I tried some Army one and didn't really like it too much.

Sam

I've got two -- the older one is some non-name-brand model and is held together with dental floss and good wishes. The newer one is an actual "CamelBak" branded model. I like 'em both. I always go 100 ounce. I'll easily drink two in a day on the fireline.

REGROUP!

Tillamook is not starting out as a faller. He is working in the rigging. No need for shoulder pads, tallywackers, etc. He'll be with guys who will have a whistle that can be heard miles away. I was kind of joking about matches and the tires. Kind of. There was a guy who said he worked on a crew where they'd get two tires sent down to them each day. They were to be lit to stay warm by because it was cold. Can't do that now days.

Here are my feet fashions, and stagged pants. I planted trees again yesterday. Thank goodness we finished! It was one of those days when it was drizzling but too warm for raingear. A lightweight longjohn top with lightweight fleece pullover, rigging pants, and wool socks were the clothing of the day.

Although they look soaked, my feet were warm and cozy because I wore some part wool socks that are wick dry. It was a good day to wear calks.
228288d1331476522-more-treeplanting0001_1-jpg

Apres' work. Burvol swears by crocs. I like the pretty colors they come in. Those that go with the flow wear Romeos.
228289d1331476524-more-treeplanting0001_2-jpg

My Thermos matches my Crocs.
228290d1331476526-more-treeplanting0001_3-jpg

Now I've got some serious de-mudding to do later today--after the ibuprofen kicks in.
View attachment 228288View attachment 228289View attachment 228290

Last edited:
TP is a must. Not only to clean yourself, but for flagging so others know where not to step

Back