New guy with some advise needed from the pros

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, every couple weeks, even once a week is alright. Just not every day. I've had guys call me every day, late evenings, whenever. At first it shows ambition, after awhile it just gets annoying!

How 'bout the ones that call right in the middle of the worst storm of the year wanting to know when start-up will be?

How 'bout the ones that call right in the middle of the worst storm of the year wanting to know when start-up will be?

Ya that may be part of the problem too most companys logging above 500 feet have been shut down for the last week due to too much snow, but its melting!!!!

Thanks coastalfaller Ill try once every two weeks. I have lots of work I am able to do for now and pretty much all the time as far as side work goes so im not in a huge hurry but im ready to go with a days notice if the opertunity arises. I still havent droped the doe on calks yet I want to wait and see if im gonna get hired somewhere before I do.

Thanks Gologit I am not trying to get on with either of them I really dont want to travel out of town all the time for long periods of time as I have a family but I wouldnt be against it tottaly if the need arised as long as I could get home on the weekends but even that would be rough for me and my family. Thanks

What do you think a good time is to call? Durring the day I think he is mostly out of service and I didnt want to bother him at home in the evenings but I may have to if I ever want to talk to him and not his voice mail:/ Thanks

It's ok to call him at home to make contact initially. Perhaps leave a voice mail saying you'll call him at home unless you hear different from him. Once you get him on the line, keep it brief, but ask him if he minds you calling him at home in the evening. Some guys don't mind at all, others will begrudge you for it. You've been getting great advice from everyone on here and it sound like you've got the right attitude. Keep at it and you'll get to where you want to be.

Thanks coastalfaller Ill try once every two weeks. I have lots of work I am able to do for now and pretty much all the time as far as side work goes so im not in a huge hurry but im ready to go with a days notice if the opertunity arises. I still havent droped the doe on calks yet I want to wait and see if im gonna get hired somewhere before I do.

Thanks Gologit I am not trying to get on with either of them I really dont want to travel out of town all the time for long periods of time as I have a family but I wouldnt be against it tottaly if the need arised as long as I could get home on the weekends but even that would be rough for me and my family. Thanks

What do you think a good time is to call? Durring the day I think he is mostly out of service and I didnt want to bother him at home in the evenings but I may have to if I ever want to talk to him and not his voice mail:/ Thanks

That's hard to say but I know when I don't like calls (and I think a lot of the guys will agree)....first thing in the morning. Early calls are the ones about break downs, slides, wrecks, no-shows, every kind of bad news you can think of. The guy in charge usually has a ton of things to do first thing in the morning and decisions to make. As a rough rule of thumb you never get good news on the phone before 7 in the morning or after 9 at night. Keep your calling to regular hours.

I don't know the guy you're talking about but if he has caller ID he'll know you're trying to get through.

Are you saying thats a prank people play on ya? I knew a guy who rapped a turd up in a paper towel and put it in a guys lunch box now the outcome to that wasnt good either, funny Yes good no guy got his but kicked bad I mean bad hospital bad. I pry would have just got a new lunch box or bleached it but oil aint that bad lol

I was thinking about starting a thread on Logging terminology just wanting to get some of the terms used and what things are called ect. Do you think this is something exceptible for the forum? I think it would be usefull for new guys to look through. Thanks

So I was talking to one of the guys off AX Men today lol and he talked me out of buying a top dollar pair of boots to start out in. His theory was until I learn to move in the brush im better off just getting cheap boots or I will ruin my top dollar custom boots right off the get go.

What are your thoughts on this?

I have read almost all the boot threads but still not sure:msp_confused: Thanks guys and gals

Wesco's need a good break in. Pour an inch or so of warm water in them for a bit and wear till dry couple of times.
I worked on a crew that had good guys on it. When the crummy door closed the yarder op started yelling. He put Craig Rygaard to shame. The only time he wasn't yelling he was smoking dope. Lasted two and a half days. No food my lunch box was tossed in the crummy water was allowed but no eating. You ate to and from the job only.
Don't just accept any job. You could try getting on chasing under a shovel or for a skidder outfit it's a little slower pace. Not much but some.

So I was talking to one of the guys off AX Men today lol and he talked me out of buying a top dollar pair of boots to start out in. His theory was until I learn to move in the brush im better off just getting cheap boots or I will ruin my top dollar custom boots right off the get go.

What are your thoughts on this?

I have read almost all the boot threads but still not sure:msp_confused: Thanks guys and gals

A good cheap boot to get is the Pronghorn corks from Hoffman or their Striker 2 corks.

I had no trouble with the Wescos. I was able to wear them from the get go. But like I said before, a logger I was working with did. He was in a machine most of the time so maybe his feet were more tender?

You will need rubber calks if you stick with it. The Vikings (Orange ones, no laces) cost aroune $100 and are well made. Some guys wear them year round, which I would not recommend. On the bad side, they are heavy because they have steel toes and stuff to keep you from cutting your highly visible feet off with a saw.
I call them Sauna Boots. But they may work until you find out if you want to keep on. Get the felt insoles or something similar, or if you can stand them, some guys were Bama Socks inside the rubber calks. Ooooh, thats a funny story reminder. Thocks.

If you have normal sized feet, there may be other options.

Last edited:
slowp Thanks for the info, They have the Viking rubber boot calks on sale for 100 dollars here at a local boot shop so I may grab a pair but I would think they would be a royal pain to work in in the brush as big and bulkey as they look, they look nice for landing work and cold weather but ill buy and try a pair for a bill its worth a shot Thanks.

Horsefaller thanks for the tip I can handle a good amount of yelling but what you described I might be a bit much. You would think after a while he wouldnt have to yell if people were doing there jobs?

Forestryworks thanks ill look at those.

I can handle a good amount of yelling but what you described I might be a bit much. You would think after a while he wouldnt have to yell if people were doing there jobs?

Ya thats not the way it works for some of these guys. They yell and scream just because they can. In my experience it's the cab lizards that do most of the screaming. For what ever reason or why, who knows but they really like to think they look big yelling at and about everything.

If you have an butt chew'in coming take it, you stand there and take it like needed, if you don't have it coming for a while any how keep, your mouth shut because you are gonna learn something out of it, then direct them top the rightful receiver when the time comes and it's not yours let'em know. There ain't no reason on this earth to take a hammering for another man.

There is a lot of great info out on this thread. Soak it up, read and reread, ask and ask again.

Owl

Thanks Owl

Well I got ahold of the man who does the hiring this morning so making actual contact was promising! He told me that allot of guys were laid off right now due to the snow so he didnt need me right now but to call back and check in. I went ahead and asked him how often and when to check in with him and he said to go ahead and give him a call monday of this coming week and check in again. So no yes or no for sure but im feeling good about it and really hope he tells me to come in monday to pee in a cup so I can start work Tuesday morning! If not I will just keep checking in untill something happens, I was just glad to know that he was going to consider me with having no experiance. I also told him I would come work for a week and if I didnt cut it with the hook tender I was working for and impress him with my work ethics I would take my stuff and go with no pay for the week but I assured him I would quikly become a asset to the company with some training and time.

I am really hoping this happens! It was pooring down rain and blowing like crazy this morning and as I sat by the front room window looking out before leaving for my side job I couldnt help but wish I was out there working in the brush! Allot of guys dont like the Pacific Northwest coastal weather but Iwouldnt trade it for world. Thanks again guys and gals you have all givin me allot to think about and some great info and tips, now its time for me to step up and prove to myself as well as the people I will hopefully be working with that I can do this and do it good! Thanks again!

HAH! I figured it out. Here's another accessory. They come in pastels, and you will be the envy of all the loggers in the Tillamook Bay area or even up to Nehalem Bay, if you get one.
227653d1331093636-los-dos-thermoses0001-jpg

View attachment 227653

Latest posts

Back