New guy with some ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zigzag

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings forum members. I am a long time lurker first time poster. I have decided to pull the trigger on a chainsaw. I am a homeowner and have a few trees to take down and some clearing to do on my property. Nothing that couldint be accomplished with a basic 35cc chainsaw. But my modo is buy right or buy twice. I purchase the best tools I can afford, this strategy has served me well. I often end up on a bigger project down the road and am happy to have the right tool in my arsenal. Now I am in the market for a chainsaw. My search for the best tool for me. Has brought me to the conclusion that I would like to own a Husqvarna 562xp. Yes this is way more saw then I will need for my basic homeowner projects. I figure it would also make a great firewood scavenging saw and that is something I could see myself getting into between fishing/hunting seasons. I like to call those the Tweener months in the Pacific Northwest. Did I mention I live in Portland OR. So any members who might be interested in sharing firewood scavenging spots feel free to contact me. I was looking at some areas around Tillamook Forest. I am familiar with that area as I fish the Wilson R. Often. So in summary I am looking for advice on my purchase of a Husqvarna 562xp. Any tips on dealers and good pricing? I would also appreciate any input on good places to scavenge firewood with a forestry permit or BLM/state permit. I am open to areas as far south as Sisters and as far North as Olympic peninsula.

Thanks to all the contributors of this forum it has been a great resource thus far.

welcome to the site Zigzag. i hope you find what you are looking for. i live in Minnesota and am primarily a stihl guy so i cant help you much. from what ive read the 562 is a good stout saw that will last a long time for you. if you dave the cash, buy it up

Welcome aboard zigzag. I'm a Stihl fan too so can't help much on the 562. Have you looked at the Stihl lineup? I have a 310 and I think it's a great all around saw.
I do own a small Husky but I seldom use it, it's the most cold blooded machine I have ever seen. Once it warms up it's fine but it takes forever to get it warmed up. I'm sure a good Husky repairman could probably fix that but it just sits on a shelf.

Welcome zigzag, your a long way from me, but I buy from local dealer, not the cheapest price, but they're there when I need something and very appreciative of my business. I have found them to be fair and honest with me on every visit. Your looking at 7 bills and some change, but you be HAPPY HAPPY...

Welcome to the site.

562's are great saws. Be sure to check with the dealers on here like spike60 as his prices shipped to your door will probably beat your local prices.

Welcome aboard zigzag. I'm a Stihl fan too so can't help much on the 562. Have you looked at the Stihl lineup? I have a 310 and I think it's a great all around saw.
I do own a small Husky but I seldom use it, it's the most cold blooded machine I have ever seen. Once it warms up it's fine but it takes forever to get it warmed up. I'm sure a good Husky repairman could probably fix that but it just sits on a shelf.

That 310 is getting rather old. I bought mine when they first came out. It has eaten hundreds of cords and is still kicking but compression is getting weak - causes some starting problems (lots of pulls when it is cold) but once started it is good for the entire work session. Great saw

I own Husky's and found them to be good saws. I always bought from a dealer so I was sure the saw was set up right and they would treat me right when I needed a part/s.
How ever when I was in the market for a 40/45 CC saw I was not impressed with the Husky or Jred saws.
I bought a Echo CS 400 and am very impressed with it. Also bought from a dealer so I would not need to worry about the so called shipped running lean rumors.
A friend bought a Echo CS 590 timber wolf from the same dealer. I am really impressed with the power of that saw.
I am going to slowly switch my saw stable over to the Echo brand, so impressed with them and the dealer has treated me and friend way better than the Husky dealer, gave us both veterans discounts on our saws and extra chains too.

:D Al

I've run a couple of those, and they seemed like powerful saws, even in stock form. IF you don't want to have the cool xp stickers look at the Husky 555, same case and such. Down only a minimal # on power but even more on price. I like the autotune, I have the Jonsered version of the 550.

Shea

Thanks for the replies. It appears there are a few Stihl fans out there. What would be the comparable Stihl 60cc saw to the Husky 562. I also have looked closely at the Husky 455 and they can be found for considerable less online. Howeaver when looking at retail prices I only see about a 200 dollar price difference. I don't believe the 455 uses a Power match style Bar mount. Correct me if I am wrong.

Stihls 60 cc saw is the 362 at 59cc. I have one that wears a 16" bar that I use primarily for bucking logs. It runs well with a 16 and I won't put anything longer on it. But I cut all hardwood. In soft wood I bet you could get away with a 25" but it would be happier with a 20".

Sent from a field

Oh, you can also get skip tooth chain to run the longer bar on a smaller saw. That would make the 362/25" combo much more productive in bigger wood.

Sent from a field

Comparable stihl would be the MS362C at 59cc. Great saw. Not as much torque as the older 036 or 360's but it revs higher and really rips wide open. Any stihl saw with the "C" after the numbers is an auto tune saw so no fiddling with the carb. Only reason for my like and use of stihl is dealer location. No husky dealer within 30 miles, stihl dealer is 4 miles away and is a family friend. Dealer service and location should drive your purchase more than like and desire

I'm a husky man and have the 562xp and 550xp. If it were me, I would go with the 550xp for scrounging, as it is easier to swing around all day. The 562 is a real rip snorter and is great on bigger stuff(16" and bigger), but will wear you out fast. If you're young and strong it may not matter, but the 550xp is probably a better fit and it will last you a long time, also. You can't go wrong with either, they are both phenomenal saws, the 550 will set you back about 600 bucks.

I don't have anything against husky personally. It's all about my dealer. I've known him for going on 20 years and he's never done me wrong either as a commercial customer or a homeowner that prefers the commercial line.

Sent from a field

I'm a husky man and have the 562xp and 550xp. If it were me, I would go with the 550xp for scrounging, as it is easier to swing around all day. The 562 is a real rip snorter and is great on bigger stuff(16" and bigger), but will wear you out fast. If you're young and strong it may not matter, but the 550xp is probably a better fit and it will last you a long time, also. You can't go wrong with either, they are both phenomenal saws, the 550 will set you back about 600 bucks.

What he said is spot on. I can run a 16" or 18" with .325 and cut most anything I want to. Yes, it will cut the big stuff too, just not as fast. I have found that a small 50cc saw like my Jonsered/Husky will cut 99% of what most use for firewood. Concerning the 455, it's a fine saw. It isn't a *PRO* style saw like 562. Doesn't mean much, unless you have to drink the XP/pro saw kool-aid. Most firewood is cut with similar style saws.......yes, I even have a few. Compare and read about the 555 though, don't know the price difference between it and the 562XP. Husky saws are either large or small mount. Powermatch bars can be had either type.

Shea

Stihls 60 cc saw is the 362 at 59cc. I have one that wears a 16" bar that I use primarily for bucking logs. It runs well with a 16 and I won't put anything longer on it. But I cut all hardwood. In soft wood I bet you could get away with a 25" but it would be happier with a 20".

Sent from a field

Casey - Just curious, hopefully don't start a derail here... Why not run anything longer than a 16" on a 362? Reason I ask is my only saw is a 261 and it gobbles up the mostly oak and hickory with an 18" bar no problem. Seems like a 362 ought to handle a 20"+ bar no problem. Based on the way you post most of the time, I expect you to have a good explanation, and possibly a reason why I am wrong.

Back