new here and need some help and direction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxtsvnstang

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

one of my hobbies is building/ fixing/ tinkering with chainsaws. experimenting with blade angles and whatnot. anyways, this hobby stemmed from buying a woodstove. now i spend a whole lot of time cutting up wood, and cutting down trees. My father-in-law is an arborist and he he occasionally lets me use his big boys when one of the many 16"-18" saws arn't enough. anyways, i was helping him at a big job, taking a 40" maple down. I started up his jonsered 920 36" bar, with one pull and i didnt use the decompression button, so he was amazed because he cant budge the pull start without the button (he claims its his back). so the story came out that when he bought the saw, 3 days later he went into the shop to pick up his chipper blades they had sharpened for him and the same 920 was sitting in place of the one he bought. expect, this one had a decompression button. he asked the guy why his saw that he bought earlier in the week didnt have one, and the guy said they just came out with it, and he'd call jonsered to see if they can honor the upgrade to the latest and greatest. so a few days late, in came a whole new engine with decompression and the engine cover with the hole for the button molded in.

so the point of the story is, that my father-in-law saw me start the saw without the button so he said since i can start it, he will give me the engine that was changed out, (it only has 3 or 3.5 hours on it) all i have to do is build a saw around it.
so if anyone here has a dead jonsered 920 (either with a blown motor or even missing a motor, trashed jug etc) that they can sell me cheap, or know where to point me that would be great. his current shop he goes to has a whole pile of dead saws that they let him pick parts off of here or there, problem is they havent seen a 920 in a long time and dont service any (besides his)
thanks in advance to help from all of you.

by the way, this is a great site, ive searched through it for quite some time reading up on things for fixing all the other saws i have, but i finally needed to post for some help myself.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site, there is a lot of information here as well as some BS. I had looked at that ebay 920 myself, but if your interested I won't bid on it. I already have 2 of them anyway, and am fresh out of reasons that I need another saw. Good luck. JR

Back