New Homelite 750 Pistons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mlouderback

Mlouderback

I have been in discussion with Wiseco about reproducing the Homie 750 piston. I am sending in my piston to them in the next couple of days. They asked for a gently used piston, which I don't have as mine has some scoring. The technical sales manager sounded fairly confident over the phone that Wiseco engineering could make the piston, wrist pin, rings and install the wrist pin bearings.

Initial price over the phone based on the piston diameter and specs was in the $170 range with a minimum order of 12 pistons. Price may go up or down after they look at the engineering and production side I am sure.

Anyone interested in this? I haven't been able to find a 750 piston for my saw, and I bet a lot of people are in the same situation.

Thanks,

Mitch

blsnelling
Make sure you tell them the clearance you want and be specific about all details. The one Wiseco chainsaw piston I tried was way too tight in the bore. One of the others I had had the ring end pins in the wrong location. They all went in the recycle bin.

leeha

leeha

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I had a run of Wiseco pistons made for the
Sachs Dolmar 166 and have had great results
with them. Have sold a few and used a few as
well.
Brad is correct about all details especially piston
clearance and ring pin oriantation.
I would be in for one if the order goe's through.
If you end up with alot of interest i would only
count on half when they are done.
If you have more made the price drops.

Lee

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
If you end up with alot of interest i would only
count on half when they are done.........

Lee

And that is on the high end. There is a lot of talk but when push comes to shove and cash needs to trade hands the guys that are full of bull poop are gone. Ask anyone who has laid out hard earned dollars on custom parts:msp_mad:

PES+

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have one real one new if they need that.

Who is your contact at Wiesco as they shouldn't be forged if they can help it as forged doesn't work well in that engine configuration unless you run them REAL loose.

They didn't really work in Macs or West Bends either.

Mono block engine cylinders do not heat evenly like a removable jug engine and the cast pistons scuff and stick if not run looser than reasonable.

Last edited:
Mlouderback

Mlouderback

Tom Davis is whom I have been talking to at Wiseco. Super nice Guy.

Does the 750 have a chrome bore or a nikasil bore? Acres site has it listed as a chrome bore. Tom said that would determine what type of ring material they would use for the piston.

I also talked to Crown piston in New Delhi. They quoted $3.50 per piston and $.65 extra for the rings. I wonder exactly how much engineering goes into a $4.15 reproduction piston!?

Jacob J.

Does the 750 have a chrome bore or a nikasil bore? Acres site has it listed as a chrome bore. Tom said that would determine what type of ring material they would use for the piston.

I also talked to Crown piston in New Delhi. They quoted $3.50 per piston and $.65 extra for the rings. I wonder exactly how much engineering goes into a $4.15 reproduction piston!?

Now you know why ebay is flooded with $25-35 reproduction piston kits for modern saws...

Looking at my 750 cylinder I can't really say for sure if it's chrome or Nikasil. It *looks* like other Chrome plated cylinders to me, i.e. it has the distinctive wear characteristics around the port windows I've
seen on older saw cylinders that I know were chrome. Also- after I hot-tanked my 750 cylinder it came out shiny clean and lighter colored, like a NIB cylinder. Talking to guys in the bike industry, the cylinder
can end up lighter or darker colored depending on the type of plating process used.

ozflea

ozflea

Good ol' BP Zoom 25-1

Buy one and find out

Mlouderback

Mlouderback

The minimum order from Crown piston was 300 pistons. If they aren't right on the specs, trying to have them fix the problem from the other side of the world would be difficult. Plus, it seems unamerican to put a piston made in India in a Homelite 750. That just wouldn't be right.

Ambull

Ambull

OCD Muscle Saw Collector
The minimum order from Crown piston was 300 pistons. If they aren't right on the specs, trying to have them fix the problem from the other side of the world would be difficult. Plus, it seems unamerican to put a piston made in India in a Homelite 750. That just wouldn't be right.

I can't stand Chinese knock offs, but this situation is a bit different. We are talking contracted reproductions on a part that is no longer available. I would have no problem going to India if they can make it so it works. I don't know, but I would guess that the intake boots that we get for these saws are made somewhere outside the US, and everybody buys them.

watsonr

watsonr

Addicted to ArboristSite
I can't stand Chinese knock offs, but this situation is a bit different. We are talking contracted reproductions on a part that is no longer available. I would have no problem going to India if they can make it so it works. I don't know, but I would guess that the intake boots that we get for these saws are made somewhere outside the US, and everybody buys them.

India, they make some pretty good stuff!

67L36Driver
Another dog for this fight.

Seems we are all looking for a two ring piston of 2.250" diameter (57mm).

I have a Homie 2000 that needs one. Homelite # A 65752-A.

Could the 750 and 2000/2100 pistons be the same? Or, close enuff to get by? Skirts can be shortened and crowns cut down on a simple lathe.

How about a mower engine like a Lawnboy. What is available along that line? Granted, mower engines tend to be much larger displacement. North of 150cc.

Just like seals, bearings and rings, I think pistons would also tend to be rather generic.

Carl.

lesorubcheek

lesorubcheek

Addicted to ArboristSite
2000/2100 and 750 pistons are very different animals. The bearings on 750s (as well as 650,550,440,350/360) are pressed into either side of the piston. The wrist pin is held by a press fit on the connecting rod. Also, since the pro series are piston-ported, the skirts are different than the reed-valve 2000/2100s.

Dan

67L36Driver
2000/2100 and 750 pistons are very different animals. The bearings on 750s (as well as 650,550,440,350/360) are pressed into either side of the piston. The wrist pin is held by a press fit on the connecting rod. Also, since the pro series are piston-ported, the skirts are different than the reed-valve 2000/2100s.

Dan

I was afraid of that............................................................................

How about the Poulan 655 and the PL/SL-6 & 7. Also a 2.250" bore.

Jacob J.

Dan

In addition, the 750 piston is much taller than the 2000/2100 from the wrist pin to the crown. The 2000/2100 piston is very short due to more of the stroke length being in the crankcase rather than up in the cylinder.

I was afraid of that............................................................................

How about the Poulan 655 and the PL/SL-6 & 7. Also a 2.250" bore.

Also very different animals, not even close to being interchangeable or easily modified on a lathe.

Latest posts