New Husky 346xp - lousy filter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't call it poor design but rather poor accessory/part specification. There are, however, lots of people who prefer the mesh to the flock. They are the norm in Sweden and much of Europe, AFAIK.
I prefere the mesh filters, but not the black "winter" one (too course). There is no need for the flocked one here! :msp_smile:

Are you sure about that?

I have the filter off my brand spanking new 346 NE right here in front of me and it is identical to the filter in those photos. The filter on the local dealers 346 NE is the same...well, except it's black. There's no twisting involved and it's held in place with a squarish metal loop.
After a second look I think you're right, that is a NE filter, the OE as two round post on the neck, not the flat tabs. But like ST said earlier, I see nothing wrong with it?

Get rid of the black filter (unless you have snow on the ground all the time) and get the yellow mesh, or felt filter.

After a second look I think you're right, that is a NE filter, the OE as two round post on the neck, not the flat tabs. But like ST said earlier, I see nothing wrong with it?

Get rid of the black filter (unless you have snow on the ground all the time) and get the yellow mesh, or felt filter.

Thanks. My saw actually came with the yellow filter. I plan to get a felt filter as well so I'll be covered in the variety of conditions I cut in.

another 346 owner here with the yellow mesh filter and noticed the same thing - I will get the felt style ASAP!

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread - very useful!!!

IT all depends upon the conditions, a felt/flocked filter here in the spring/damp conditions will choke up the intake.......like running around with a bag on your head and just a lil hole to breath through behind your right ear.

Three Filters for 3 conditions of cutting, with lots of overlap in coverage, pick the right one to suit your needs.

I cut dead dry wood. My 346 came with the white nylon mesh filter. I thought it sucked for that type of wood. I put a flock type filter on my 346. That solved the problem of fines from getting past the filter.

Are you sure about that?

I have the filter off my brand spanking new 346 NE right here in front of me and it is identical to the filter in those photos. The filter on the local dealers 346 NE is the same...well, except it's black. There's no twisting involved and it's held in place with a squarish metal loop.

Your right! But I think the photo's have been changed? because I know the difference between the two styles of filters, and Niko(saw troll) also does and he noticed the difference as well back in Aug, when the OP posted. So I don't know what the hell is going on????:msp_confused:

Are you sure about that?

Rusty, read post # 52 and 53 ?? It doesn't make sense???

Rusty, read post # 52 and 53 ?? It doesn't make sense???

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Perhaps it was just a simple oversight. We're only human after all...and something like that could be even easier after a few Keystones.:biggrin:

At any rate, I wouldn't know as I'm just learning about this saw. Just saw the posts, then the pics and thought to myself "wait a sec, something doesn't add up". Just wanting to make sure I get myself the correct filter to begin with. Hate having to send things back after ordering.

Cheers!

Far too many filter choices to be made for a Pro chainsaw. Wonder how the saw handles after changing to a different style filter? Winter filter? Spring filters? Dust getting in carb? Sheeeesh, think I'll stick to the Stihls. Much easier/simpler filtration system and predicatable handling. LOL! Just kidding and jerking the SawTrolls chain for a change.

This is one area where Stihl got it right with the 261, far superior filteration compared to the 346xp, and it's an easy twist on and twist off filter, and you don't need three different kinds in your saw box for different conditions.

This is one area where Stihl got it right with the 261, far superior filteration compared to the 346xp, and it's an easy twist on and twist off filter, and you don't need three different kinds in your saw box for different conditions.
No, they got it wrong (on a small saw), as they added bulk and weight that mostly isn't needed! :msp_wink:

Your right! But I think the photo's have been changed? because I know the difference between the two styles of filters, and Niko(saw troll) also does and he noticed the difference as well back in Aug, when the OP posted. So I don't know what the hell is going on????:msp_confused:

Fits with my observations.....:msp_confused::confused2:

Wonderful design on the 261 filter.

On a side note, I sure hope I like running this 346 runs cause I'm not at all impressed with its engineering compared to the Stihls. Hopefully it's different on the inside because on the outside, everything looks cobbled together to me and not that well thought out or refined...at least compared to the Stihl. In the end, maybe it just doesn't matter. Hope not to offend any Husqvarna owners by saying this. Peace.

Last edited:

The 261 does have better filtration, but saying it's far superior is a stretch.:msp_wink:

Last edited:
That's unmistakeable. Wonderful design on the 261 filter.

On a side note, I sure hope I like running this 346 runs cause I'm not at all impressed with its engineering compared to the Stihls. Hopefully it's different on the inside because on the outside, everything looks cobbled together to me and not that well thought out or refined...at least compared to the Stihl. In the end, maybe it just doesn't matter but it's something my detail eyes just can't help but notice. Hope not to offend any Husqvarna owners by saying this. Peace.

Rusty my man you're a Stihl kind of guy and that fine with me they make great products.

With that said some people are branded, and they simply like what they know, and even when the brand they love is pumping out garbage, these people still buy that brand. GM is a good example of this, they pump out junk, but the marketing makes people buy their junk.

I was really surprised when Rusty bought the 346 but now it appears he did it so he could whine about it and share with us all his opinions of what is wrong with it. :ices_rofl:

I was really surprised when Rusty bought the 346 but now it appears he did it so he could whine about it and share with us all his opinions of what is wrong with it. :ices_rofl:

Sorry. Didn't realize sharing an observation was considered whining :rolleyes:

On a side note, I sure hope I like running this 346 runs cause I'm not at all impressed with its engineering compared to the Stihls. Hopefully it's different on the inside because on the outside, everything looks cobbled together to me and not that well thought out or refined...at least compared to the Stihl. In the end, maybe it just doesn't matter but it's something my detail eyes just can't help but notice. Hope not to offend any Husqvarna owners by saying this. Peace.

Sorry. Didn't realize sharing an observation was considered whining :rolleyes:

With all the anguish you told us you put into this decision and all the posts we had to suffer through, you just figured the above out now? Or, maybe your "detail eyes" :Eye::Eye: don't work until after you buy something?

At this point, you would be hard pressed to convince anyone here that you aren't just another troll trying to stir things up.

With all the anguish you told us you put into this decision and all the posts we had to suffer through, you just figured the above out now? Or, maybe your "detail eyes" :Eye::Eye: don't work until after you buy something?

At this point, you would be hard pressed to convince anyone here that you aren't just another troll trying to stir things up.

Look. No need to give yourself a wedgie over this. I simply stated my observation. Bet you've never done that before, right? I don't care what color or name is on the saw. I may be childish but not so much that I feel the need to pick a "team" or get bent out of shape cause a stranger said a brand I owned looked cobbled together.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything, or stir things up or offend any overly sensitive egos. If you don't like the very few observations I make or slew of honest questions I ask, you don't have to read my stuff. But if you do, and want to continue whining about it, that's your prerogative too. :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back