New Husky Purchase Decision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
A good friend of mine asked me about Husky 450 or 353 saw durability... (or there Jonsered brothers H450=J2250, H353=J2152) I have no experence with any of those models, so i thought i'd ask here.

He's wanting it for a "good long lasting" light weight home owner saw, and is wondering about the durability of the metal VS nylon/plastic case??

Anyone have comments or info as to repair record of these two models???

Thanks,

Sawyerob

excess650

excess650

Addicted to ArboristSite
Without a doubt the 353 is the better saw. For "more goodness" in the same size and weight package, 346xp or 2153. I've never seen a picture of a 353 or 346xp that lost a muffler and proceeded to melt its cases. Likewise, bar studs and main bearings mounted in magnesium are less likely to become troublesome.

mowoodchopper

mowoodchopper

Polar Bear
The 450 will get a bad wrap because it is a plastic case saw but they are in my opinion about the best saw for the money in the 50 cc size. I will agree the 353 or 346 are made better but if your not running it every day I wouldnt worry about that. I have personally used the 345/350 and the 450 alot and had not one trouble with any of them. I dont use them everyday but I do cut wood for about 5 people who heat with wood only so they get beat on every weekend pretty hard. I would buy another 450 !

Zero Gravity

Zero Gravity

ArboristSite Operative
If I was even thinking about the 353, I would fork out the extra cash and buy the 346XP. That saw is flipping amazing!!:chainsaw:

I agree with simple man on the 346. With that said the 353 is nearly identical to the 346. Its a land owner class saw that is a real performer. I have an e-tech with the CAT and it is no concern. There is no diference in performance or operating temperature due the catalysis. Chainsaws do not use a revsersion cycle in the exaust so the heated exaust has little to no effect on engine temperatue. The saw requires just a little more attention to carb adjustment, it is really no problem. I think the fear of catalysis exhaust and green chain is another Internet myth. The 353 with the 95VP chain is just about the perfect limbing saw. Still a big need for a 70cc bucking and felling saw.
ZG