new husq saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skindaddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i'm looking to eventually buy a small husqvarna saw top handle or just a smaller saw , not sure which model to consider and debating 14" or 16". want something smaller all around use so i dont always have to get the 460 20" out.
thoughts please

find a nice shape 346xp. will blow the doors off with 16" on it. if it was me i would stay away from newer autotune saws for now. some guys love em, i personally havent used one but i like chainsaws without computers.

prob new, but im open to used but it would have to look about new, so i dont think its been abused , price best i can get on the right one of course;)

The 550xp is an awesome saw if you can swing it. The 545 will work just about as well for a little less money. If you're looking for a homeowner saw only, the 440 isn't horrible. As far as a top handle, check out the T540 new or find a good used 338.

I was in your shoes I have a 562xp and wanted a light husky limbing saw with enough snot to be able to do 12-16" logs for firewood . I bought a 435 husky for 269$. I love it light fast easy start and does a good job clearing out firewood

thaks for suggestions i going to have to write these down and research the diff. in all of these, did not think there would be this many options in this catagory. i dont keep up with all these models, this might get confusing!
def. want something better than homeowner job/level. i want it to work it.

My opinion is that your saw choice depends on a number of circumstances surrounding the need/want. I bought a Husky 340 from Tractor Supply a 6-7 years ago, and to this day it works perfectly fine, light, good zip, but it hasn't seen much use since I found this site and bought a 550XP. Lets face it, both wear a 16 inch bar, and there isn't a noticeable weight difference. The 550XP is just in a different class - I can fiddle with carbs as well as the next home/land owner, but I'm nowhere near an expert, I have limited time to cut - and I don't like it when my saw acts up - 550XP in a year of landowner work takes all the guess work out, and with a sharp chain, you'll definitely fill the gap below your 460 with 20 inch. My wife and daughter also grab the 550XP when we burn wood piles for clearing purposes. I asked my 18 year old, 105lb daughter - why did you grab the 550XP - her answer "cause its bad azz"

I personally would stay way from the top handled saws. They are really purpose built and unless you find yourself climbing where you need that added shortness, the really aren't the best saw for limbing trees that are already on the ground.

Any of the smaller Husky's series that start with a 3 or a 4 are capable saws. If you are looking for value go used, but also you can often find refurbished ones that are Garaunteed. If you would like to change brands look at the smaller Echo. There's a guy in my neighborhood who puts up a mountain of firewood every year with a CS400P and an 18 inch bar. Theres a really nice one in t trading post right now for a really good price.

thaks for suggestions i going to have to write these down and research the diff. in all of these, did not think there would be this many options in this catagory. i dont keep up with all these models, this might get confusing!
def. want something better than homeowner job/level. i want it to work it.
If you want more than homeowner, take a look at the 545 and 550XP.

might have to rethink this homeowner deal holy cow on these prof prices lol. although i found a new 545 $100 off.

might have to rethink this homeowner deal holy cow on these prof prices lol. although i found a new 545 $100 off.

That same place that has the $100 bargain on the 545 also has the Jonsered 2250 for a steal, and I saw a 440 Husqvarna for even a better deal. If you like your 460 you will really love those 2 lightweight rippers.

My point in this is, You'll get sold on the pro saws from guys on this site. And the pro saws are great, but for the average homeowner who shops around and dares to go with the off branded equipment, there are bargains out there. Right now I can buy that 2250 and that Echo CS400 on the trading post for less than a 545. Those 2 saws will outlast you. I just brought home 2 pick up loads of blown down red oak tops that I cut with my trusty Olympic 945 trucksaw and a plastic Jonsered 2238 that is basically a red Poulan Wildthing. I cut that pile of wood with gas that's left over from early fall that I wouldn't dare put in my 346. I bought those 2 saws for less than the price of a good bar and chain combo, and I wouldn't hesitate to take them to any firewood job that there bars would handle.

A sharp chain a small screwdriver and your scrench are your friends when it com time to get the saws out. Not the brand name.

With a 545 in the stable, I think you'd be suprised how little you touch that 460.

As I get older, the smaller saws are more appealing. And when I say smaller, I find myself getting out the 40cc saws as much as the 50cc'rs. I have a 2065 Jonsered that is a beast I the cut. But dragging out in the woods just seems to begetting harder and harder. Especially when my toy looking Ryobi 40cc with an 18 inch bar will rip apart any 16 inch log just a little slower than that heavy 65cc slug.

Back