New Husqvarna burned up using factory premix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it’s late now but I deal with a local dealer since the 80’s for new saws now. I may pay a tad more but when I need service he’s there. These big box stores offer nothing. They buy in quantity and sell fast. There in the numbers game.

I know it’s late now but I deal with a local dealer since the 80’s for new saws now. I may pay a tad more but when I need service he’s there. These big box stores offer nothing. They buy in quantity and sell fast. There in the numbers game.
Agreed! The box stores offer little or nothing but should have a very generous return policy since they don't have the overhead of a maintenance/repair staff. I could/would NEVER buy a saw at a box store and take it to a dealer for warranty work.

You've mentioned this twice now. Are you too cheap to buy oil or what? I'm guessing you buy gas with corn in it too.
No corn gas for me, and i think its more expensive to buy better oil than to use more of an inferior oil.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

He could do better with Amsoil run it 100:1 :popcorn2:
Im not brave enough to go 100:1 but per the manufacturer...they tested it to 150:1 with no failures...id never ride that edge.

If it is locked up after only 30 min it was not just a lean setting from the factory, I have seen Stihls run on straight gas for longer than 30 min at Stihl school
A new husky will run about 3 minutes out the box on straight gas and seize. When the 350s were sold at Lowe's we got brand new saws that never saw premix with smeared cylinders...most never made it to the wood.

Now...once some oil is introduced they can run a good while, had some great demonstrations in Echo school years ago where they took new saws and ran them from new on various scenarios we may encounter...and how the saws reacted. Its amazing really how so little oil can delay the inevitable failure.

If it’s the X-Torq model I would try to get a refund if possible. Even if you get one that runs longer than 30 minutes it will most likely never oil the chain properly. The non adjustable oiler on the Huskies and the Jonsoreds of the same platform are pretty much useless.

We got a new Tractor Supply in town a couple of years ago and they were selling Jonsered. They started showing up in my shop practically new and with all sorts of problems including not piling enough. TSC quit carrying Jonsered and switched to Husky. Then those started coming in and they had the exact same oiling system. The only way TSC would take them back was if they had never had oil or gas in them.

In my opinion, those models aren’t much better than the Poulans, Craftsmans, McCullochs, and Homelites that are built by Husky.

I don't want to be a naysayer, but I just pulled the muffler on one of my my Stihl 193t's to potentially sell it... This saw has only seen about 2 tanks of fuel since I bought it new (I bought 2 193T's at the same time) and is un-modded in any way. I only used husky premix.
Pretty pissed, my using premix was to eliminate any error in my own mixing, prolong the saw's life, and so I could leave it in the car trunk without worrying about my plastic can exploding.
It has some decently bad looking scoring on the piston, and I don't feel comfortable selling it this way. which sucks, as I do need the money ATM.
Saw runs well, with 175psi compression and passed vac and pressure tests with flying colors, but is badly scored none the less.

I normally use corn free 96 octane race fuel I buy in drums in all my saws, and I have a few saws that have run 180+ gallons of that stuff over the years, with brand new looking internals.

I would just return it to a different lowes and say you changed your mind. I doubt the guy at the return counter would tear the saw down to take a look inside.
Ummm..... No.
This is probably what happened and now you are dealing with the fallout from the scumbag before you. This is terrible advise on so many levels.
Lowe's typically has good customer service. I agree with the advice of taking it to corporate, that particular store obviously has a crap manager and they need to be made aware of it. My wife and I have gone down that road with a certain manager at our local Lowe's. That manager no longer works there and a company wide meeting was held because of our situation. Needless to say, things changed immediately and we shop there still with great customer service given ever since.

I don't want to be a naysayer, but I just pulled the muffler on one of my my Stihl 193t's to potentially sell it... This saw has only seen about 2 tanks of fuel since I bought it new (I bought 2 193T's at the same time) and is un-modded in any way. I only used husky premix.
Pretty pissed, my using premix was to eliminate any error in my own mixing, prolong the saw's life, and so I could leave it in the car trunk without worrying about my plastic can exploding.
It has some decently bad looking scoring on the piston, and I don't feel comfortable selling it this way. which sucks, as I do need the money ATM.
Saw runs well, with 175psi compression and passed vac and pressure tests with flying colors, but is badly scored none the less.

I normally use corn free 96 octane race fuel I buy in drums in all my saws, and I have a few saws that have run 180+ gallons of that stuff over the years, with brand new looking internals.
This is caused by people returning crap that they have ruined, hoping nobody will notice.

For reference, this is my stihl 661 after 35+ gallons of the race fuel mixed 50:1, durring many many hours of cutting hardwood with anywhere from a 25"-36" bar.
Dry muffler, and not even discoloring on the insides of the muffler.
Not even fully broken in yet!!!!6090A8A4-A9F5-459F-8FCE-D848F77E4A64.jpegB31560D1-D2D2-4065-BC8F-B750961BBD40.jpegB31560D1-D2D2-4065-BC8F-B750961BBD40.jpeg

I am looking for my bore scope.
I didn't take pictures of the 193t the first time (I realized I couldn't responsibly sell it that way, and I quickly moved on to other more pressing projects) and the exhaust port is long and curved, so it is nearly impossible to clearly see the piston scoring without a slim bore scope.

The damage to my saw you mean?
Yes, you bought premixed fuel with the assumption that it was good fuel. People buy that, fill up their weedeater, then refill it with gasoline and return it to the store for a refund. Sad, but true. The next guy buys it and runs it and ruins his saw. The cans for the most part are not tamper evident. Manufacturers are starting to implement tamper evident caps because of this issue.

My opinion is that any one buying from Lowes will not get any refunds. If you can not do a top end rebuild then take it to a shop and have it done. Or for the same money just another saw and be done with it. An experienced OP would not have had that problem in the first place. It does not matter why or how or who is to blame because none of those things matter. Example in that I bought a brand new car a few years ago and drove it for four years with out a problem. I had gotten a warranty for ten years or 100K. The idle bearing for the timing belt started rattling more and more. I called the dealer and they asked me if the check engine light was on and I said no. They said unless the engine light is on they will not assist me with any repairs. They told me that if the timing belt breaks they will send a towing truck and pick up the car and make the repairs free of charge if they find that the defect was factory related. Then the check engine light came on when it started missing so called the dealer. They said that they had no record of the car being serviced so there would be a $400 fee for routine maintenance. So I told them I had already checked all fluids and changed the oils. They said to have warranty work done they had to do it. Then he says likely would have to leave the car at the dealership over night or more. I said thanks no. So changed the ignition replaced bearings for under a hundred bucks. Yes it took me a day to make the repairs and void the warranty so what. Thanks

Latest posts

Back