New MS 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grossm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new guy here...
Anybody know anything about the new ms 441? It seems they are no longer using the split body design on the power head...Why? and whats wrong with the 440 anyway?
Also, i bought a ms 361 last year about this time...does anyone know specifically what kind of muffler mods can be made without hurting anything? I know you have to be careful because you want some back pressure...anything??
thanks guys!

Ms441

Here is some basic info on the 441.

Enter 441 into the search window, and several treads discussing the saw will pop up, but "nobody" seem to have any "hands on" experience with it so far, so it is mostly speculation.

rumor has it

Yesterday, my local dealer said he'd heard that there were some problems with the 441 and they were in the process of fixing them. Expect the saw later. Perhaps much later.
Now take that all as just another rumor. The dealers are given very little inside info from Stihl. Lots of secret keeping with saw development at Stihl.

I'm still hearing 2-3 weeks (mid July). Just got the 1138 (MS 441 series number) Side covers "enhance" my 361, so the parts have been released.

You might be right Lakeside, but where I am at we probably will not see them for quite a while. All of the 440s have to be sold first before the new 441s are sent this way. That happened with the 361 also. Others were carrying it long before we ever saw them.

MS441 in stock

It's shiping... Even have one sitting on the shelf right now. The MS440 will remain in production until the 1st Quarter 2007.

No, I haven't run it yet... But it sure looks good... No surprises over what we already knew.

Lakeside53 said:
It's shiping... Even have one sitting on the shelf right now. The MS440 will remain in production until the 1st Quarter 2007.

Weird that they would keep 2 almost the same units in production that long. I think the 361 is a much improved version of the 360 series the anti-vibe alone is great in my opinion. From the pics it looks like the 441 will have similiar traits. The 044 / 440 has been around so long I guess they are keep ing it around for the diehard fans to grab them up. Wonder if they will offer any price incentives to get rid of inventory on the older style?

The only price incentive on the MS440 is that it stays at the old price. The 441 is about $30 more... (in the PNW)

It's like New Coke and Classic Coke.... 2 products in the market - you gain market share at no cost!

I had the opportunity to run one in stocksaw at a small contest in Bedford, PA. They said something about us being among the first to run it. We were cutting big yellow poplar cants (12 x12, I believe) Very nice saw, plenty of power, nice balance.

I had the chance to run a brand new, first tank, 441 on thursday. MAn what a saw! I would take it over the 440 anyday. It wsnt broken in but it had a great torque range and the antivibe was incredible. It has a different more modern look to it also that I liked. The strato injection on these is much different from the 575, much nicer set-up.

We should have 4 in our store by next week they tell us.

Bull, I know you have mentioned that you have some 575's at work. How did the 441 seem to campare to the 575 power/feel etc?

Hired Gun said:
Bull, I know you have mentioned that you have some 575's at work. How did the 441 seem to campare to the 575 power/feel etc?

We have done away with ALL our 575's. The 441is a lot smoother, more powerful and way better antivibe. I didnt run it long enough to see how it was on fuel or how well the new filtration system worked but I liked it a lot more than the 575 and a little more than the 440. I think Stihl did well with the replacement of the 440, just like the 360---->361.

Last edited:
BostonBull said:
we have done away with ALL our 575's. The 441is a ot smoother, more powerful and way better antivibe. i didnt run it long enough to see how it was on fuel or how well the new filtration system worked bu I liked it a lot more than the 575 and a little more tha the 440. I think Stihl did well witht he replacement of the 440, just like the 360---->361.

Hmmmmmmmmmm first review I've seen so far and its looking good, cool.....

Hired Gun said:
Why did the company get rid of the 575's? Are you guys switching over to all Stihl power?

Yes we are in the middle of a switch over. We have recently purchased a couple more tree co's. and we have opened a brand new from the ground up Arborist supply store and Stihl dealership in NorthEast MA. We offer repairs, full product line, loan a saw services for when we are repairing your saws and we have a demonstration area set-up to try the pro line of saws out before you buy them. We also offer 1 week demos to companies in our area.

We have always used Stihl climbing saws, we used to use all Husky ground saws but with the newer Huskies going the way of lowes we are now fully switching over including our backpack blowers and all other power tools.

Stopout sometime if your in the area and check us out. We will be having a grand opening soon and an open house.

Latest posts

Back