new ms 441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneadam12

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just happened to see the new 441 yesterday, unfortunately it was in the shop! Apparently the new owner wasn't very careful and dropped it, broke the casing right below the oil filler cap. Other than that it was a very nice looking saw.

Has anyone purchased the retaining washer for the drive sprocket for a stihl lately? I had to buy one for the 440 and it was a LOT thinner and cheaper looking than the original.

There are two retaining washers for the 440 - one is pressed and the other machined.

The machined version is more robust, but a PITA if you get wood or other fibers behind it - you can't get the clip off without cutting or smashing it.

The pressed version performs real well... just looks cheaper.. but actually costs slightly more.

They are both the same thickness where they meet the crank.

Price of parts has little to do with logic!!!

Maybe one is stamped in Switzerland, and the other machined in Bangladesh?:D

Lakeside53 said:
There are two retaining washers for the 440 - one is pressed and the other machined.

The machined version is more robust, but a PITA if you get wood or other fibers behind it - you can't get the clip off without cutting or smashing it.

The pressed version performs real well... just looks cheaper.. but actually costs slightly more.

They are both the same thickness where they meet the crank.
Oh great I just put a machined one on my 361, well guess I'll have to make sure I keep I clean.

Generally not a problem. We have a big problem with the local timer yards that cut glue-lam beams with the wrapper on - the fibers from the wrapper get behind the washer, melt into the bearing and jamb the cir-clip against the machined washers. I have to cut the circlip to get it off...

Lakeside53 said:
Price of parts has little to do with logic!!!

Maybe one is stamped in Switzerland, and the other machined in Bangladesh?:D
I guess you're right, car part prices are't logical either.....

Latest posts

Back