New ms 880 runs with 361 unlimited coil.....it works!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming from a history with high revving motorcycles, will the stock crank/crank bearings/con rod/piston pin and bearing stay together in a saw that started life rev limited but now is unlimited? I ask mostly b/c I wonder why Stihl limited their biggest saw to begin with? Are the parts different (eg weaker) than in the previous higher revving models?

Regarding the Stihl FS 4-mix trimmers, seems like the valve springs would need serious upgrades as they already tend to float at high RPMs. Best thing for the 4-mix motors is if some one could fix throttle response to get rid of the seriously delay at off-idle and when feathering the throttle.

The 880 bottom end is no weaker than the 088. Limiting is frequently to meet EPA regs, but also to prevent people from burning them up. They were designed as chuggers, we just like them to be all fast 'n stuff

Yup I know. Was responding mostly to what was posted on page 2 of this thread. The OP was asking what I did to get the saw to 13k, I was simply posting that yes I got it there but it would not cut there, to lean.
And reposting what I did to get a stable 12k tune. MM, and 441 coil.
Then going farther recently lowering squish and posting finished saw vid.
Saw is completely adjustable and stable at 12k.

At the risk of getting flak for necro-ing an old thread

I've been working on my relatively new 880 with info on this site and wanted to post what I have done and what works for me as the thread helped me allot and more info the more better...er

first of all, the newer revised 361 coil works fine and is unlimited Part #1135 400 1308
I have muffler modded (removed internal baffle and opened port size to ~80% size of exhaust on jug)
I have mildly ported the saw, no change in timing, reshaped the exhaust and cleaned up the intake and pulled the lower transfer ports much lower.

the last thing I did was swapping out the coil, low end needed fattening up a bit after installing it (it is now 1 and 3/4 turn out) to make sure throttle response was still good with no bog.

high needle is out about 1/2 a turn (near stock) it's sitting at 12,600rpm at WOT and if I lean it out can get above 13k (without bottoming out the high jet needle), but I'd rather not have it that lean with the other mods and will probably fatten it up a little for use to bring it lower than the 12.6k it's on since it has an 8 pin on it.

At the risk of getting flak for necro-ing an old thread

I've been working on my relatively new 880 with info on this site and wanted to post what I have done and what works for me as the thread helped me allot and more info the more better...er

first of all, the newer revised 361 coil works fine and is unlimited Part #1135 400 1308
I have muffler modded (removed internal baffle and opened port size to ~80% size of exhaust on jug)
I have mildly ported the saw, no change in timing, reshaped the exhaust and cleaned up the intake and pulled the lower transfer ports much lower.

the last thing I did was swapping out the coil, low end needed fattening up a bit after installing it (it is now 1 and 3/4 turn out) to make sure throttle response was still good with no bog.

high needle is out about 1/2 a turn (near stock) it's sitting at 12,600rpm at WOT and if I lean it out can get above 13k (without bottoming out the high jet needle), but I'd rather not have it that lean with the other mods and will probably fatten it up a little for use to bring it lower than the 12.6k it's on since it has an 8 pin on it.
Post all you want on this thread. Glad it helped you. As an FYI I was able to tune my saw to 13k way lean, it sounded good and cut great in up to 30in wood at 12500k but in larger it was lacking. I ended up at 11500-11700. Still cuts much faster than stock in smaller wood and will pull a 60" bar 404 full comp great, it struggled with that setup tuned to 12500.
From the thread my mods:
BG delete
Dual port exhaust
441 coil swap
Limit caps gone
I did not cut on ports so maybe that will help you hold higher...

Well I've been tweak'n my 2017 MS880, after much murky fact finding online here's what I've ended up with..I fabbed up a second exhaust outlet using 1\2" stainless pipe. I set it over a 3\8" hole drilled in from the outside of the muffler into the exhaust passage behind the screen so as to retain the screen function. Next I pulled the carb limiters and installed a MS361 coil, and finished up with advancing the timing by filing .040 off the .080 thick crank key. So its a half a key advanced (super scientific). I tuned it in the cut with a 36" bar and .404 full chisel full skip. Absolute night and day between this setup and stock. Crisp throttle response and pulls a 8 pin sprocket pretty well in 30" dry ash with full skip. For those who follow this path I will caution that you need to run good 100% gasoline. No ethanol. I use 91 octane rec fuel from the pump and add octane booster to achieve around 95-96 octane. Setup like I have described you have the ability to tune in the cut and clearly hear 4 stroking. You also will have the ability to absolutely melt down your saw if you don't adjust correctly. I won't have my saws any other way. This saw is now running like one would expect a new saw to run..it will never be as crisp as a fully port adjusted, squish band worked saw done by any of the masters...but I like it now.

Back