New MS200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
FWI, These are in the US now. Most dealers won't stock them. I think all suppliers have purchased some though.

Bad ass little carving saw or just screwing around.
I bought another new one to put on the shelf..

JimL,

In your picture, that old style 020 AVP, the side cover has a slot on the top where the lever to activate the chain brake would be on the top handle 020 version would be.

Did those AVP's have that style side cover when they were sold new, or is that a different cover from another saw?? Did they do away with the chain brake feature if you ordered a rear handled version, but kept the cover it came with?? The Chain Saw collectors Corner has pictures of two 020 saws with the rear handled version, one with a chain brake, the other without it.

Larry

Ax-Man- I just bought (and sold) an old AVP, and it came with shorter clutch plate. It left the entire muffler and spark plug uncovered. There was no brake on it, and no slot in the cover. Don't know if this helps, but I'd guess at one time they came without chainbrakes, and side plates made for a saw without them.

Take care all,
Jeff

New unit looks like it has the same motor components of the 020t / ms 200 just a different handle assembly. To those who have seen them does it look like the new handle would mount onto an older model or are the screw holes moved? Wonder if you just order the top handle and refit an old model?

Jeff,

The two AVP's I got have the same cover like you describe,shorter cover, exposed muffler , no fins, these saws also have no chain brakes on them and no slot in the cover.

Just out of curiousity, the one you sold, do you know what carb was on it??

Larry

Larry- It had a broken carb on it!

Sorry, just a little bitter about that saw. I bought it on ebay as a good saw, just needing a small fix on the handle, and it got here and had all kinds of problems with it. Along with a mysteriously funky smelling fuel tank, jacked up handle, and and a couple of cooling fins broken off the cylinder, it had a broken carb. You know that little arm that comes off the back of the carb and has the stud running through it, out to the outside of the saw, just underneath the air filter? Well that arm was broken. I can get ahold of the guy I sold it to if you'd like to know. He'll be taking it apart, and selling parts on ebay. I'll also look at the IPL I had for it. I'll see if I recognize it from there. I'll get back to you.

Take care all,
Jeff

Dadatwins, I do beleive you could order parts and convert one but..................it's a pile of parts. Probably not the most cost effective solution. In a year or two they will start showing up on e-bay after they get dropped, run over (GYPO you listening?) or run on straight gas.

Thats the origional cover on that avp. I just took that saw out of the box a year or so ago and that was what was on it, its new...

Ive got the HT attachment, but never have put it on, its out in the barn... somewhere..

I finally got me a new one of these rear handled MS 200 about a week ago. I haven't much of a chance to really try it out, but from what little I have used it I LIKE the saw very much as a climbing saw. The one feature I noticed right off the bat was that the front handle wasn't the traditional round grip but more contoured to fit a closed hand while operating it, feels real nice like a custom fit grip.

With it being Father's day decided to take advantage of the situation and bring some saws into the house for pictures. The first two are of the new baby, the second two are of the old style 020 AVP I have, I was going to use the AVP as a climbing saw but after I got the saw it was in too good of shape to be doing tree work and take a chance on ruining it, been dressing it up with parts from other saws to pretty it up, it is just a cream puff saw.

Larry

Last edited:
dano said:
Recently, I was in my local STIHL shop and saw a new STIHL saw priced at $159.00.

Not sure if it was the MS200 though......

Probably not, I have seen the ms200 up as high as $550.00 here in local hardware store.
Nice saws Ax-man, like that old time bar.

I think you saw the MS170...they are on sale to the end of this month for 159 bucks. Sounds like a good deal if they are a good saw.

Back