New Ms200t 2 broken pull start cords in a month

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lync

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced a problem with MS 200t pull cords braking, about 4 inches from the T handle. Brand new saw broke pull cord in a week, replaced it , and that one broke 2 weeks later. I looked at the inside of the cover assembly and did not see any rough edges that might cause the problem. My dealer is a pain to get to. I would rather fix it my self.

corey

Look closely at the metal insert in the cover where the rope passes through. I'd suspect a rough edge on that metal piece.

A few years ago Stihl had some issues with the 200T and the pull cord. If I recall correctly the recoil cover wasn't exactly right and the pull rope would get snagged and get frayed. They redid the cover and the problem was solved. That was serveral years ago though. If your 200T is new you need to find out how long its been setting on the shelf. If I recall correctly it was
200T's made around 2002 that had the problem with the pull rope getting frayed in the fan housing. Have your dealer run the serial number so you can find out exactly how old your 200T is even though its new to you...

Replacement rope

What kind of replacement rope are you using. I broke 3 ropes in two weeks one time with some cheap foreign rope that my local dealer sold me. He was out of stihl rope and said it was the same quality and cheaper.

TreeCo said:
I had the same problem with one of my two MS200's. It was a sharp metal edge like suggested. I was able to fix it by bending down the metal edge. Of course both times it broke I was up in a tree. I resisted the impulse to toss the saw to the ground like I would have had it been a Husky.:)

Dan
You mean had it been a Husk E Varna you would have thrown it, wedoggie some guys on here will be a mights upset over that statement:laugh:

TreeCo said:
...I resisted the impulse to toss the saw to the ground like I would have had it been a Husky.:)

Dan

If it was a Husky, it would have worked without breaking the pull cord! ;)

Latest posts

Back