New MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagibson81

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New here but I wanted to say hi. My house was destroyed by tornados here in Arkansas, but that is what insurance is for. I did get a new saw out of the deal. It came with a 20" bar and an RSC3 chain, .325 pitch. The dealer tried to convince me that a 20" is what I want. I was thinking 16" or 18" might be a better match for this saw. I was also thinking 3/8 instead of .325. What do you guys think. I grew up using Homelites and Poulans. it is nice to use a good saw.

welcome to the sight,,,there is a lot of good people and info here,,,,,,,,, if it was me i would go with the 16" b/c in 3/8ths,,, a 20" b/c is a little to big for it,,but that is my 2 cents:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks guys. I will be clearing my down trees (about 10) and cutting firewood for myself and some for the in-laws. I will also use it at deer camp.

New here but I wanted to say hi. My house was destroyed by tornados here in Arkansas, but that is what insurance is for. I did get a new saw out of the deal. It came with a 20" bar and an RSC3 chain, .325 pitch. The dealer tried to convince me that a 20" is what I want. I was thinking 16" or 18" might be a better match for this saw. I was also thinking 3/8 instead of .325. What do you guys think. I grew up using Homelites and Poulans. it is nice to use a good saw.

A 16" will of course be better regarding both handling and performance - one of each for different needs is a good thing! :msp_biggrin:

Ok. One has said stick with .325. Does everyone else feel that way? I was thinking it should pull 3/8 just fine with a 16" bar. Sorry for my ignorance. I have always just used what came on a saw.

SAw

Sorry to hear about your the loss of your home. Nice saw :msp_thumbup: I would get a 16" and a 20" bar using 3/8" chain:msp_thumbup: The 16" bar is for every day use, the 20" is for the odd bigger tree or if the 16" get stuck :msp_thumbup:

I just though it pulled that 20" good. It looks like it really runs with a 16". I was thinking 16" for every day and the 20" for special occasions. Lol.

Ok. One has said stick with .325. Does everyone else feel that way? I was thinking it should pull 3/8 just fine with a 16" bar. Sorry for my ignorance. I have always just used what came on a saw.

Of course it will, but I guess it still will be better with .325, and Oregon LP chain......:msp_wink:

3/8s will be more aggressive with a little bigger cutter. I think you'll be fine with either one on the 16" bar.

Sorry to hear about the house. Glad you came out okay.

When I bought mine I didn't bring a bar and chain home with it. I've got several used bars and chains and wanted to try both 3/8s and .325 in different lengths before putting a new bar on it. I never tried a 20 inch, but I would say you'd need a stopwatch to tell the difference between 3/8 and .325. up to 18" anyway. If there was any difference in the cutting speed it was minimal. I went with .325, 18" simply because that is what I had the most spare chains laying around here for. The majority of the 261s leaving my dealer are set up .325 with 20 inch bars. The saw seems plenty gutsy enough to pull it.

I think I wood just stay with the .325 and maybe try a 8 pin with the 16" bar. If it don't pull it good just put the 7 back on.
Welcome to the site.

The 261 is a great saw, I run 3/8, .063 gauge on mine with an 18" bar. The 18" is a good compromise between the 16 and 20 and since I have alot of other saws it works well for me. In you situation I would consider getting a 16" bar for the smaller tasks. Don't get hung up on .325 vs. 3/8 pitch deal, both are great. It only matters to me for interchangability between all my other Stihl saw from my 260 to the 660. Sorry about your house but it can be replaced, you and your family can't.

Steve

Latest posts

Back