New MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with saxman on this one. I have an 026 and an 064. I run 3/8-.050 on both for ease of operation. That way I don't need all kinds of different chains lying around. Just grab the chain that fits the bar I'm running and I know I'm good to go. Minimize the chance of screwups by mounting the wrong chain in a rush.

New here but I wanted to say hi. My house was destroyed by tornados here in Arkansas, but that is what insurance is for. I did get a new saw out of the deal. It came with a 20" bar and an RSC3 chain, .325 pitch. The dealer tried to convince me that a 20" is what I want. I was thinking 16" or 18" might be a better match for this saw. I was also thinking 3/8 instead of .325. What do you guys think. I grew up using Homelites and Poulans. it is nice to use a good saw.

Thats a strong saw. I think youd be fine with a 3/8th.

Stihl chain

First sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I like 18" myself, but 20" will work fine. .325 is what you want to run, it's the best chain for the saw. I prefer non safety RSC over RSC3 but honestly I doubt you'll notice much difference between the two.
According to the Stihl chain selections I've seen, RSC3 is available in 3/8 but not in .325. RSC is available in both sizes.

New here but I wanted to say hi. My house was destroyed by tornados here in Arkansas, but that is what insurance is for. I did get a new saw out of the deal. It came with a 20" bar and an RSC3 chain, .325 pitch. The dealer tried to convince me that a 20" is what I want. I was thinking 16" or 18" might be a better match for this saw. I was also thinking 3/8 instead of .325. What do you guys think. I grew up using Homelites and Poulans. it is nice to use a good saw.

your going to need 3/8 rim sprocket stihl part number

0000 642 1231 3/8 7T or

if you stay with .325 and want 8T

0000 642 1234 3.25 8T

they should cost around 5-6 bucks

According to the Stihl chain selections I've seen, RSC3 is available in 3/8 but not in .325. RSC is available in both sizes.

iam sure the op meant RMC3 chain.

Not only does 3/8 take more power to pull, but a 3/8 7-pin is the same diameter as a .325 8-pin. It's a double whammy to the torque of the saw. That's not a good thing on a stock 50cc saw, even if it is a 261 or 346.

I recommend keeping .325 7-pin on a stock saw.

Not only does 3/8 take more power to pull, but a 3/8 7-pin is the same diameter as a .325 8-pin. It's a double whammy to the torque of the saw. That's not a good thing on a stock 50cc saw, even if it is a 261 or 346.

:agree2:.....at least as long as the .325 chain is Oregon LP(X) or Stihl RSC!

Thanks for all the great advice. I am going to keep the 20" .325 setup I have and add a 16" .325 setup to go with it. I used the saw again yesterday. I absolutely love it. It has plenty of power for my needs. (For now. Lol.)

I did mean RMC3 chain. I think I will be getting RSC from now on. That is what my father-in-law runs. He seems to really like it.

Thanks for all the great advice. I am going to keep the 20" .325 setup I have and add a 16" .325 setup to go with it. I used the saw again yesterday. I absolutely love it. It has plenty of power for my needs. (For now. Lol.)

I did mean RMC3 chain. I think I will be getting RSC from now on. That is what my father-in-law runs. He seems to really like it.

That sounds like a good plan! :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back