new ms271 compression tested

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machzilla1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi saw guys, I just got a new ms271. It has less than 2 hours on it according to the seller. The saw looks unused and brand new. He used Stihl oil mix 50 to1. I have a brand new Innova compression tester with a shrader valve and it showed 150 lbs on my other well used Stihl ms361 and my 034. I was surprised when the new ms271 showed only 152lbs . does that seem right for a newer saw? thanks

I would say that 160 would be about the norm...but you only have 2 hours on the saw (rings)...sooo...it likely will go higher.

J2F

Nothing wrong at all! Then again it is only a Stihl, if you want high compression look in the direction of Dolmar...

But your wood won't notice the difference as a firewooder.

Right on about Dolmar and compression. I have a new Stihl MS362 that I have put one gallon of fuel through. It's got 152# of compression. I just put a new piston ring in my 4-year old Dolmar 5105 and it's now at 190# - cold (no easy start and it will just about pull my fingers off trying to start it sometimes).

Back