New MS440 or MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
go handle all three of them, are you set on stihl??? have you handled a 372??? they really are slim and ballance very well with a 24 inch bar...

decisions

You cannot go wrong either saw. The size of wood should dictate the saw you use.

Randy just started a thread couple hours ago porting a brand new 460. Wait for the videos- may help with the decision.

well it leaning towards the 460 now becase i wanted this saw for quit some time now and its only 40 dollars more. I think I'm going to pick one up within a week or 2 :msp_biggrin: Thanks for all the input

My little Stihl 029 just isn't cutting it anymore for some of the bigger trees. Plus after I fixed it up my dads saw died on him so he pretty much wants to use it all the time now lol

If your dead set on Stihl then get the 441 M-Tronic. IMO, that and the MS660 are Stihl's best. With the 441M-Tronic you get Husqvarna like AV and air filtration. Not to mention those M-Tronic saws run like hell.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

But if you decide on a 460 im sure you will be pleased. The 441M is just my opinion and just basically splitting hairs is all.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Well I was going to buy a Husqvarna 372XP but then decide to go with a new Stihl. I went to the Stihl dealer today and saw a brand new MS440 :msp_biggrin: So I got a price on it and the MS460 and its only a $40 difference. Now I'm just undecided on what one I want. I really like the MS440 but was wondering if they are as reliable as the 460 and if they have a different name brand cylinder than the 460.

MS460-$880
MS440-$840

Whoa who's your dealer I paid 950.00 for MS 440 ,is that with the bar included?

460 all day long, especially for only $40 more..
I have a 460, love it, strong saw..

The MS 460R by all means, $50 more than the straight 460 and IMO there is no comparison when cutting big hardwood. Get one and you will see I know what I am talking about and you will thank me every time you use it.

044/440 is one of the best saws Stihl made IMO. Something to consider is that the 046/460 was kind of an improved version of the 044. I am not knocking the 044 at all, I love those saws.

When I decided to purchase a new 70cc saw a month or so ago I went with the 460 for the raw power, and I planned on having it ported before I ever bought it.

These guys posting before present an interesting idea though. The 441 is a very smooth vibe saw that runs pretty strong, and it is easy on fuel more than you would believe/ I had a new one until CAD got me to trade it. Add the M-Tronic feature and that improves things even more.

Good luck man, whatever you get you will love it!

460 if you plan on using a bar over 28" for more than a couple cuts. The 440 oiler doesn't have a HO version of it like the 460 and 441. I think if you plan on this saw being the big saw get the 460, if not then snag a 440 and then a used 90cc later on.

I use my 440 more its lighter!

I always used the 044 more than the 460. The slight power difference is made up in weight and fuel savings. It seems like when bucking firewood every 10 cuts with a 460 needs filled up.

I always used the 044 more than the 460. The slight power difference is made up in weight and fuel savings. It seems like when bucking firewood every 10 cuts with a 460 needs filled up.

Yep, it sure does guzzle gas. But ya have to feed the horses, lol.

That's what I tried to tell him but everybody was telling him 460.Its easy to tell someone else that but you know which one gets used more and so do I.Gas is definitely a problem every 15 - 20 min.

That's what I tried to tell him but everybody was telling him 460.Its easy to tell someone else that but you know which one gets used more and so do I.Gas is definitely a problem every 15 - 20 min.

Yeah running a 24" bar there isn't really a big difference in power unless you run an 8 pin and then the 460 will out pull a 440. Using a 440 is like a 372 its light enough for most firewood and big enough you can work a whole tree up with it.

Latest posts

Back