New MS460 Rescue saw/Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, a power sheetrock saw, I bet just as many demo guys would buy it as fire rescue guys, although I'd imagine a fire ax does a number on sheetrock.

I''ve seen Arlington and Fairfax Co. fire dept's in action a couple times, most of those buildings in the city have sprinklers, there's more old derelict buildings in Baltimore. How in the world are those crews supposed to respond with all that freaking traffic? The traffic around NoVA is just insane!

True but they do. Those guys hit them sirens and cars scatter.

That sheerock saw tool they want they swear every truck in the nation would have one but to date no such tool. They were also wanting Stihl to build them a gas powered Sawzall. I didn't catch the reasoning behind that idea but they were at the shop talking with the guy from Stihl Inc about it..

Why? Done right, it's quicker to rip them out (with no chance of cutting the rafters) and the repair is to just replace the whole panel.

That was discussed in the plans. The blade was to have a guard where it would only cut so deep to avoid taking out the rafters. The cheif of the Leesburg company said ripping out ceilings was one of the toughest jobs and he was looking for a way to do it easier and neater without so much damage.

Stihl to date hasn't come up with anything.

These guys at this company are up to snuff, don't getem wrong. They came over and bought two MSE220 electric saws and put carbide chains on them. I asked why do you guys want those. They claimed sometime the houses are so full of smoke a gas saw will choke out when they wanna open the walls on the inside. Now they got big generators on the trucks to run these electric saws in smoke filled areas. Those guys are always thinking on how to make it easier and money is no object with them at all...

They were also wanting Stihl to build them a gas powered Sawzall. I didn't catch the reasoning behind that idea but they were at the shop talking with the guy from Stihl Inc about it..

OK, they have generators on their vehicles and cord reels and junction boxes. That means they don't have to wear SCBA while doing interior work. This is Leesburg? Did they have a cat under one arm, a bottle of whiskey in their pocket, a bag of crap, and a pistol?

OK, they have generators on their vehicles and cord reels and junction boxes. That means they don't have to wear SCBA while doing interior work. This is Leesburg? Did they have a cat under one arm, a bottle of whiskey in their pocket, a bag of crap, and a pistol?

LOL, no I don't think they have any cats, whiskey or pistols. Actually they got one helluva fire company. Where are you located?

That was discussed in the plans. The blade was to have a guard where it would only cut so deep to avoid taking out the rafters. The cheif of the Leesburg company said ripping out ceilings was one of the toughest jobs and he was looking for a way to do it easier and neater without so much damage.

Stihl to date hasn't come up with anything.

These guys at this company are up to snuff, don't getem wrong. They came over and bought two MSE220 electric saws and put carbide chains on them. I asked why do you guys want those. They claimed sometime the houses are so full of smoke a gas saw will choke out when they wanna open the walls on the inside. Now they got big generators on the trucks to run these electric saws in smoke filled areas. Those guys are always thinking on how to make it easier and money is no object with them at all...

I believe the reason they went with electric saws is more for evidence spoliation concerns following a fire. A gas saw (if not fueled carefully and or poorly maintained) could leak gasoline in a house fire and cause floor samples taken to show the presence of ignitable liquids. This is a sad truth in a few areas, realistically, if your careful and let the investigator know where the saw was used, then it isn't usually a problem.

I believe the reason they went with electric saws is more for evidence spoliation concerns following a fire. A gas saw (if not fueled carefully and or poorly maintained) could leak gasoline in a house fire and cause floor samples taken to show the presence of ignitable liquids. This is a sad truth in a few areas, realistically, if your careful and let the investigator know where the saw was used, then it isn't usually a problem.

Beats me, I'm no fireman but they said because a gas saw will sometime choke out in a smoke filled area. I just sellem whatever they want and let them do whatever they do with those tools..

No disrespect, but they are creating a lot more mess with gypsum flying off a chainsaw than by pulling chunks of drywall.

Not a chainsaw, they wanted a carbide blade like those used on a skil saw attached to something the length of a trimmer so they could reach up and make the cut.

Not a chainsaw, they wanted a carbide blade like those used on a skil saw attached to something the length of a trimmer so they could reach up and make the cut.

Gettin' our posts mixed up. I think I see what you are getting at. Any plaster and lathe or plaster and wire mesh in some of the older buildings around there?

Gettin' our posts mixed up. I think I see what you are getting at. Any plaster and lathe or plaster and wire mesh in some of the older buildings around there?

Oh yes, theres alot of old homes around the area with plaster and wire mesh for walls and ceilings. There are some town buildings in the old part of town built back in the 1700's. Even though we are a surburb of Washington Dc we still have alot of history around here to go along with the housing boom the last 20 years...

Oh yes, theres alot of old homes around the area with plaster and wire mesh for walls and ceilings. There are some town buildings in the old part of town built back in the 1700's. Even though we are a surburb of Washington Dc we still have alot of history around here to go along with the housing boom the last 20 years...

Used to pass through there on the way to Mom & Dad's place. Nice whoopdie in the middle of town.

Fredericksburg is similar. About 10 years ago they found a civil war cannonball in the rafters of an old house.

That is an excellent point.

SWEET!!!

Agreed on the "D" handle. We had to put them on the Honda Powered ventilation fans for the same reasons.

As for chain and guard mods. A quick call to Lambton Fire U. should get some good answers. Odds are they have tinkered things to death already.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I like the pole saw for celings idea. Aroud my neck of the woods we have a few houses with old toung and groove celings. Pain in the "axe" to pull. If they are a vaulted celing that sucks even more.

I am getting put in charge of the power equipment at our station (no complaints here). We will probably be in the market for new vent saws and wildland saws. I have to say that when I have any issues with a saw and we take it to a shop (usually cuz I am busy with other things) they put it as priority.

It is nice that they understand the importance of the equipment to us.
I just want to thank all the dealers out there that do this, it makes life easier for us.:cheers:

P.S. If anyone knows a bar that can take lots of heat without getting to f-ed up let me know. Just PM me so I don't accidently hijack this thread. Sometimes cutting up a burning tree (on the inside) kills the bar quickly, go-figure.

Well not to long after I posted the previous message, I go called to a structure fire. The house had fire in the wall and the attic a little. Take a wild guess what the ceiling was, you guessed it, tongue and groove. I mentioned the pole saw idea to a few of the guys and they liked the idea.

I talked to my BC after the fire about it. We are getting a new type 1 engine with all new gear. Guess what the vent saw will be.....A Stihl 460R. So we will be getting one of those bad boys too! We may even get a pole saw cuz the BC liked the idea too. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now.:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back