Redmax 3800 4000 4500: Brand new w/ squeak, Fix, mods, and pics inside!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
Ok so my buddy Samtip bought a brand new Redmax 3800 off Ebay. He wanted a simple muffler mod and carb tune to be done sounds simple right??? It came to me brand new and never fueled. So I fueled it and started it up to do some stock test cuts and heard what I thought was a clutch squeak. I MM'ed it and took it back to Samtips for some cutting time. The squeak got worse and the saw eventually didn't even want to start or run... Back to the shop! I tore down the entire clutch side of the saw to find absolutely no problems! So I reassembled hoping that the squeak would magically disappear. Didn't happen... So what's next??? Well I got the automotive stethoscope out to try and locate the side of the saw it was coming from. Low and behold it was the flywheel side. Pics says it all...

Notice 2 things: the aluminum being scraped from the outer rim of the flywheel and the screw (middle right side) that never got tightened down into the counter sunk hole at the factory (like screw in bottom left)! Solution was easy: it wasn't stripped so I put it back in with loctite. I was really glad it was an easy fix.

At this point you know I can't leave well enough alone right...?!?!?!? :blob2:

So I measured the squish and it had entirely to much! Pulled the base gasket out and put the cylinder back down with yamabond for a perfect 0.019 squish! Below are pics of the beautiful casting work done by Zenoah motors. Some of the pics are a bit blury (phone camera) but trust me when I say some of the finest cast aluminum parts I have ever seen!

Pison is a single ring with small double arch for transfers (no windows).

Overall composition was very very nice. The entire saw AV system was sprins (seen in upper left). I would rather have a smooth log bump and a replaceable/removable dawg but the cast aluminum seems to work good.

With a simple base gasket delete this one was pushing 180psi no problem!

As for the handling and looks I like this little red saw! I unfortunately gave a 3800 to my neighbor before I knew what I had in my hands and now that he's used it... He wont trade it back! I even offered a completely rebuilt ms260pro in minty condition and he wouldn't take it! I think these saws would perform very well with a 14in bar and full chisel .325 but most come with what I would consider oversized 16-18in 3/8 lo-pro bars. It had supurb balance with the 16in 3/8 lo/pro oregon bars, and the Oregon 91vg chain cuts pretty good for saftey chain which is what I think Samtip plans to leave on it (for the wife to run?). I'd like the chance to run one with a shorter bar and 3/8 PS3 or 325 full chisel (square filed of course). Also I have yet to run the Strato 4000 & 4500 versions. I wouldn't mind putting the 3800 and 4500 side by side to compare them in weight and power. I've run TONS of 30-45cc saws and this 3800 definitely takes the cake! At 9.1-9.2 lbs nothing really comes close in power to weight in this class. Dolmar 420/421's might be close in power but aren't as light. I know Brad was playing with these a while back and thought I would bring them back to light...

Plus you guys always like looking at pics right???

Last edited:
Cool . Poor QC @ Redmax though , not tightening that screw . :bang:

It's the first I've ever run into and heard of on this brand... just thought in case it comes up again I should document for others to find.

woods ported 3800 with just semi chisel. Sure would have been nice to run some PS PS3 on this saw back in the day.

[video=youtube;DYmgZBu1Ga0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYmgZBu1Ga0[/video]

Going to use 91vxl chain on this little redmax. Just got a new roll of it. Got one tank of fuel through it now.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Going to use 91vxl chain on this little redmax. Just got a new roll of it. Got one tank of fuel through it now.

And... we need to port it now right!?!?!?! :D

I already have two saws out getting ported/worked. But it would be a fun one ported. Maybe! I did ask mastermind if he has ever ported a 3800. I do love a good ported saw. Forget stock anymore.

I've always enjoyed taking a .45acp (1911) to a knife fight........

you're a 1911 fan? I have a 1911 WWI or WWII (can't remember) that has been converted to 38 spl wadcutter. Kinda cool.

Oh and if you look in Samtip's sig you see the same quote from above. It's kinda Doug's motto...

Thanks for the info on the 3800. It might come in handy because I have two of these and one has never been gassed. I think they are fine saws and as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

nstueve, I see you are looking for a Makita concrete saw. A regular at the coffee shop said he bought a used saw and wanted me to look at it. He said he didn't know if it was any good or not. I figured it would be junk because that is what he usually has. He is an 86 year old wealthy junk dealer. What he had was a like new Makita. I told him he had a good one.

Last edited:
nstueve, I see you are looking for a Makita concrete saw. A regular at the coffee shop said he bought a used saw and wanted me to look at it. He said he didn't know if it was any good or not. I figured it would be junk because that is what he usually has. He is an 86 year old wealthy junk dealer. What he had was a like new Makita. I told him he had a good one.

Which makita was it???

Back