New MS462 C-M...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Subscribed. Just bought an MS461R.
My dealer has no idea about 462.....
I guess one of the owners of my local shop is at some sort of Stihl dealer convention or get together. I'll ask him when he gets back.
I hope I didn't make a mistake by going with the 461 when I could wait a couple weeks and get an m tropic 462.
The 461 has such a loyal following and the model is so damn reliable I doubt I will regret this purchase

Don't think you can go wrong with a 461, good machine, but Stihl has confirmed the MS462 is coming & it's expected this year.
Stihl are very good at keeping their dealers in the dark when it comes to coming new & disconting models.
I recon MS441 model is gone for good, read somewhere that the 462 was going to be lighter and it does not seam logical to have two 70cc saws on the market.

I heard the reason the 461 is not M-Tronic is cause it is the basis for the rescue saw, and M-Tronic does not like smoke.

That said, I think the 460 was more reliable than the 461. I have a low hour one with an imploded piston on my bench now. Tough to know for sure what happened, but looks like the piston may have contacted the impulse nipple, which for some unknown reason sticks into the case (it should end at the case).

Attachments

• IMG_20160915_192442754.jpg
    IMG_20160915_192442754.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20160915_192554060.jpg
    IMG_20160915_192554060.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20160915_192700495.jpg
    IMG_20160915_192700495.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 102
I recon MS441 model is gone for good, read somewhere that the 462 was going to be lighter and it does not seam logical to have two 70cc saws on the market.

having only 77cc saw will leave a large gap in their profesional lineup, next smallest would be the 59cc MS362. i wouldnt mind seeing a 65-67 cc Pro saw.....

however i now have a 50, 77, 91 stihl pro line up so all my bases are covered. Especially with my Huskies

If they can make a saw that is as light (or lighter) than a 044/440 and more powerful than a 460/461, it would be hard to beat as an all around saw.

The 461s are tough to limb with, and the 50 & 60 cc saws are a bit slow at bucking.

You got a nice line up there though.

I've added a ported 026 to my line up, and I'm working on getting something in the 90 cc range.

I have been seeing a lot of 441's for sale in a 50 miles radius, most of them little used and, intriguingly enough, all ordinary not M-Tronic units. I suspect the word is out about this "462" saw and people are trying to cash in, somehow like it happens when rumors a new and improved Ducati motorcycle is about to hit showrooms. ;)
Apart from little wear what makes me suspect these saws are owned by posers who need the latest and greatest tool to cut a couple small trees for the Christmas fire is the asking prices: absolutely insane. :dizzy:

May I ask the source of this information? Seems no one knew the new 261 & 362 were coming till they were here. I'm surprised they did not change the model #s.
Yes, none of my local Stihl shops had any idea there was a new 261 & 362 coming, I knew from US release & when I asked my local dealers, they just pointed to the old model on the shelf & said that's it there. The difference between those who live & work day to day with the saws & those just sell them.
I know the 462 is being tested in AU & Stihl AU words to me were (We are all excited about the MS462). Now the person involved would not even know the saw excisted if it's release was not getting close. There is also a lot of local talk & online saying expected release this year.

My grandson needs one of those. Where did you find it?

Just bought one for each of my sons on Amazon for $40. Check the other sellers. We had to buy ours from a seller in Ireland. If you can find them in the US they are more expensive...by what I've seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think you can go wrong with a 461, good machine, but Stihl has confirmed the MS462 is coming & it's expected this year.
Stihl are very good at keeping their dealers in the dark when it comes to coming new & disconting models.

The only real complaints I can remember having seen before this thread have been about the AV. Some people are more vibe sensitive than others.

I heard the reason the 461 is not M-Tronic is cause it is the basis for the rescue saw, and M-Tronic does not like smoke.

That said, I think the 460 was more reliable than the 461. I have a low hour one with an imploded piston on my bench now. Tough to know for sure what happened, but looks like the piston may have contacted the impulse nipple, which for some unknown reason sticks into the case (it should end at the case).

Is this a manufacturing defect, or is it how they are made?

Is this a manufacturing defect, or is it how they are made?

I was unable to determine that Niko, and I posted pics on another site. A 461 has a very unusual saddle that the 460 does not have. Seems the only purpose of it is to reduce piston temp, which increased due to the tech used to meet emissions.

There was also a fair amount of debate regarding if that nipple could have caused the piston failure. I can tell you that it is no longer protruding in this saw.

The piston damage does align with the impulse nipple, and pics show with & w/o the saddle that cools the piston. I could not determine anything else that could have caused this piston damage.

Attachments

• IMG_20160915_225646910.jpg
    IMG_20160915_225646910.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20160915_192700495.jpg
    IMG_20160915_192700495.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20160915_192554060.jpg
    IMG_20160915_192554060.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20160914_211441026.jpg
    IMG_20160914_211441026.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 81
In camp, for every pile of dead 661's and 461's there's one husky with a screw that needs to be tightened lol not my huskies though. Usually owned by a limp wristed turd who think a touch tighter then finger tight is tight enough. The 461 piston issues are very common. The riggers stopped using them and switched to 661's which didn't do them any good. Big piles a dead stihls.

In camp, for every pile of dead 661's and 461's there's one husky with a screw that needs to be tightened lol not my huskies though. Usually owned by a limp wristed turd who think a touch tighter then finger tight is tight enough. The 461 piston issues are very common. The riggers stopped using them and switched to 661's which didn't do them any good. Big piles a dead stihls.

I thought you were running Stihls these days...switch back to the trusty husky again? :cheers:

I thought you were running Stihls these days...switch back to the trusty husky again? :cheers:

way to much vibrations for all day cutting from the stihls. it's not so bad in the beginning but after the 4th day of my shift i'm done with it. can feel the vibes through the hands and half way up to your elbow while cutting at that point. still like me a 660 but i wish they were smoother. i'm back to running 372/390's. my 461 was ported and would smoke a 372 but i swear it was harder on the hands then a 660. put 130 tanks through it last shift and traded it for another ported 390xpgw. still got a few ported 660's and a 460 i may sell off soon. i've been tuning my 390's to 14,200 after porting and they are just animals at that tune. seem to be lasting too.

way to much vibrations for all day cutting from the stihls. it's not so bad in the beginning but after the 4th day of my shift i'm done with it. can feel the vibes through the hands and half way up to your elbow while cutting at that point. still like me a 660 but i wish they were smoother. i'm back to running 372/390's. my 461 was ported and would smoke a 372 but i swear it was harder on the hands then a 660. put 130 tanks through it last shift and traded it for another ported 390xpgw. still got a few ported 660's and a 460 i may sell off soon. i've been tuning my 390's to 14,200 after porting and they are just animals at that tune. seem to be lasting too.

I'll take a couple dead 661s. Might come up with some more husky cylinders for you[emoji6]

trust me, i already tried for those saws. the problem with them is they broke down so close to new that the owners are still to attached to their investment. some are pretty cherry but the guys are wanting a few bucks for them. then i'd have to inspect them all for everyone i'm sure. they are in those totes and in those totes is where they will live.

Latest posts

Back