New Old 031 4 Me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cop0110

cop0110

ArboristSite Operative
I found a stihl 031 with a 16'' bar on craigs list today. I went to look at it and was amazed in the condition. the old owner said he bought it new in the 70.s. It started right up and sounds like a race saw. He said that he has never done any mods on it. I guess back then the epa didnt have their hands in them. Any way im pumped I paid him his asking price of 80.00 and think I gotta nice old saw to play with. What do you think?:greenchainsaw:

cop0110

cop0110

ArboristSite Operative
I dont know the out put but it dont rev any where close to my 361 or 460. I cut a log with it and pulls right thru it. Very different but kinda cool. Wife says Im retarted but oh well its still cool. I think its a cool old saw. 80.00 well spent I think, I guess thats all that matters.

flyboy

flyboy

ArboristSite Operative
I've got 2 and a half 031s. They are a blast and have such a distinctive sound. They are really well balanced and feel and work much lighter than they are. They are also torque monsters and seem to outperform new saws of similar cc....like the husky 455. Great deal at $80 too. I have seen several running 031s go for well over $300 on ebay.

Some here have said that the 031 is one of the very best firewood saws ever built.

Rookie1

Rookie1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wow it must be 031 week. You seem to have gotten the best deal of us all. Yours runs and doesnt bog,cut out or quit altogether. They are old skool saws that rely on torque rather than high revs to cut. From what Ive been told Stihl doesnt make every part on the saw anymore. Lots of parts saws floating around though. :)

Latest posts