New Oslo F500 , How o move to basement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlbear

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi , I am picking up a 6 month old Oslo F 500 stove this weekend for $1200 only burned in 3 times , and I have to get ot into my basement down 10 satirs , was wondering the best way to move it down . It is pretty tight on the sides with maybe 4" of clearance on both sides , was thinking using a handtruck to bring in down but wife is concerned about loosing it on the way down ! Any suggestions on how to bring it down ? Thanks !

Last edited:
I strapped my Oslo to a small pallet. I had some very rough hickory boards from a bad blade on my mill. I put the boards over the stairs. I opened my front door (a raised ranch) and backed the wheeler up to it. I attached a logging chain to stove and wheeler, and slid it down. The point where the stove tips down the first stair is fun. Be very careful.

Thanks , I was tinking of something like that since I do have a 4 wheeler and a window to run a cable through .

Thanks , I was tinking of something like that since I do have a 4 wheeler and a window to run a cable through .

Put a lot of protection on your window sill or the cable will burn through it pretty quick. If you could rig up a pulley onto an outside post so that the cable runs through the window and not against any part of the window it may save your window.

If you are winching it down with your quad winch, then try and park against something to eliminate the risk of the machine getting pulled by the weight of the stove - once it gets going that stove could take a quick and damaging trip down those stairs.

Since you only have 4" of play, figure out if you might need someone in the basement. That way they can get down there before you move the stove and provide any needed assistance without having to climb over the stove. Just make sure that they keep out of the path of the stove!

Tie that sucker up well ... really, really well so that it doesn't get away on you.

Good luck with your move and let us know how it goes.

:cheers:

Don't forget to check out those stairs - how are the stringers, how are they attached, maybe you need to add a vertical support brace half way down when you put that much weight on them? Good luck!

When I put my stove down in the basement a few years back, I got an appliance dolly from the local hardware store - basically a beefy hand truck with tracks on the back made for going up and down stairs. Used a couple rachet straps to tie it on there but good, then tied a stout rope to it and invited a few friends over for beer (Don't mention putting the stove in until they are there!!!), then "winched" it down the stairs with 4 guys playing tug of war with it. Worked pretty well, but I'd not want to reverse the process!

If I have to bring it back out, it's coming out in pieces.

Thanks for the update. :)

:cheers:

Got the stove moved today and fired her up , nice ! Had a buddy who installs furnaces and boilers , he strapped it to a hand truch , tied a rope to it , ran the rope around th door out to the trailer hitch on my car and wraped the rpe around the hitch once , had me release tension and he trucked it right on down the stairs in 10 mins , I gave him $75 to do it , well worth it !

Latest posts

Back