New OWB coming...need chainsaw info....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never know what my tree guy will bring me-sometimes its 12" and some up to 36". Try that 36" with a 50cc. Thats why I use, and recommended, the 372XP. I also picked up a smaller saw :clap: , a Makita(Dolamr)6401. I'd rather have a little larger saw, than too small of a saw. It has made my life easier :chainsaw: .

I never know what my tree guy will bring me-sometimes its 12" and some up to 36". Try that 36" with a 50cc. Thats why I use, and recommended, the 372XP. I also picked up a smaller saw :clap: , a Makita(Dolamr)6401. I'd rather have a little larger saw, than too small of a saw. It has made my life easier :chainsaw: .

have cut 36" oak with a 20" bar husky 455 rancher and a 041 older then me stihl ohhh and my 031 will do it no problem.

Thanks again guys. I went to the Stihl dealer, would buy from him so that's not an issue...he's suggesting an ms270 with 16 or 18" bar (he suggest 16" actually) so 400 bucks for a 50cc saw.
Talked to husky dealer, going to see them today but I've handled the 455 rancher before so I know what I'll see there and I've been there for other stuff (local rental place) so buying from them isn't an issue either...they suggested on the phone the 455 rancher ($400) or the newer 460 ($430). both with 18" bars...on paper the husky 460 is the best deal...60cc for $430....and my husky dealer is the areas husky service center for all husky dealers including lowes....have to admit I also like that husky is in lowes so if something strange happens and I need a bar at 4oclock on sunday afternoon I can get an oem bar right then.....guess I'm leaning towards that 455 or 460....

Small question..a friend pushed to me that I should look for a .325 chain if possible..thinner kerf, less strain on saw etc...which I agree with in theory...I do a lot of woodworking and we've been using that theory on table saw blades etc for years....the husky is a 3/8" the stihl is a .325"...guess it's not a big deal as it's only .05" but any input on that difference from you guys? I can't imagine that small chain width makes up for the 5-10cc difference in power?

Last edited:
Go back to your stihl dealer and tell him that you want a 310 with a 20" ES bar and a 3/8 50 72 dl yellow chain for $410 out the door that was the price proposed to me by my dealer last week. I did however opt for the 361 for 599 out the door.
As far as huskies go is it just me or is there more threads on here " question my husky is broken" than stihls?
One thing i have noticed on the .325 chain is that i have broken them and never broke a 3/8

I may have seen the 310 on the shelf below...I think that's the saw I asked why it was $409 and the 270 was $400...I asked what the difference was...he said those were all "older technology" called them the square bodies...he was refering to the vibration mounts on the 270....how big of a deal is that? I have to admit vibration is a concern for me...after years of sanding fiberglass and bodywork my hands are paying for it...reduced vibration is good for aching hands :)

310/361

I had Tramma induced carpral tunnel surgery back in 00/01 on both my wrist. I ran my ms310 for two years before it got run over. I have never had a problem with it and i have cut hundreds of cords with that saw! It was a very good saw, still plan on getting it running again hopefully soon. I personally wouldnt go with any bar length shorter than 20''. When cutting, limbing, i like to be able to stand with out much bending, with a 16'' or 18'' bar that would require too much bending for me. On with the 361 "new technology" i personally dont think the anti-vibe is any better on my 361-vs-310 but i dont have alot of time in the 361 yet. Still it would have to be worse than the 310 in order for me to judge it, because the 310 didnt have vibe problems, at least with my hands. When i bought the 361 i did that for the quicker cut, and the pro features, easy repair, and the fact that it is a heavier built saw. Dont be afraid of the 310 unless you are planning on cutting commerically.

Good input, thanks :) but now I have even more to think about :)

You asked about sharpening:

Here's a long thread, with great pictures, and plenty of tutorial information. You will of course have to wade through some baloney, but still, its worth a read through.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=20869&highlight=hand+filing

Myself, I hand file, using an Oregon guide plate. I"ve tried the little stones on dremel and similar tools, ehh, I'll stick to files, can do that anywhere, no power required, nice and quiet.

Last edited:
Ok I'm back after talking to dealers :) Husky dealer just wants to sell Rancher 455's it seems...I had to pry info about a 346xp out of him (didn't get the owner, gotta get ahold of him apparently) . So my new question is for $80 more the 346xp has more power, lighter, "pro" grade etc...sound like a winner for my situation?
Well the one he has is $80 more...16" bar, if I want an 18" he mentioned paying shipping...which isn't going to happen, that's part of buying locally but anyway, 346xp sound like a good fit for a new OWB guy on the east coast without 40" redwoods growing all over the place? :)

How about a 2159 or it's ugly sister the 359? I have also seen the 54cc makita 540 reconditioned for $200.00 on line. Lot's of saw's out there in the 50-60 cc range. 60cc is a good compromise for a do it all size saw.

update:...I ended up with a 346xp 18" bar...thing just felt right in my hands...the 455 felt like an unbalanced brick in my hands compared to this...and the 455 was all the dealer wanted to talk about..yet the 346 was right there on the wall next to it... The guy who's land I'll be molesting for wood has a 455 rancher and wants a 346xp instead..said an 18" will surely cut anything on his land...and he has a ton already felled for me, he's been cherry picking the nice parts for his wood stove..told him my owb don't care what shape it is :) ...time to get cutting :) Thanks again for all the help.

update:...I ended up with a 346xp 18" bar...thing just felt right in my hands...the 455 felt like an unbalanced brick in my hands compared to this...and the 455 was all the dealer wanted to talk about..yet the 346 was right there on the wall next to it... The guy who's land I'll be molesting for wood has a 455 rancher and wants a 346xp instead..said an 18" will surely cut anything on his land...and he has a ton already felled for me, he's been cherry picking the nice parts for his wood stove..told him my owb don't care what shape it is :) ...time to get cutting :) Thanks again for all the help.

congrats

Latest posts

Back