New Project Saw. Dolmar PS-7900!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one of my renters was like that...got one of his paychecks for rent and another one for parts. sold him his saw, trimmer, blower, push mower and all of his parts. maybe that is why he moved out and across town. less temptation

Took the clutch and oiler out for rebuild. Now I can actually adjust the oiler because the adjustment screw isn't all messed up. The little plastic "nub" on the end of it was almost worn off. I also replace the little o ring and spring. Rebuild kit made it easy. I'm currently waiting on the oil line from the tank to come. Since I was bored waiting for that I decided to sand and paint the top grip plate on the rear handle. It was faded almost white and scratched. I like how it came out.20151115_181157.jpg 20151115_181300.jpg

Got new oil installed and pump/clutch back on. This line was green vs. black for the old one. Hopefully it doesn't leak all the bar oil out like before! And I hope the oiler output is increased as well. It will be nice to actually adjust it now too. Also treated her to a shiny new guide plate lol.

That's good to hear. Can't wait to get some more time with this saw. Kinda wish I got a 24" bar instead of 20". The spikes take up so much space

Think I might be the only one who likes the 3 point stock spike bars.
I have a bar adapter from Mike, I can run any of my STIHL bars from 16"-36".
The only true mount bar I have for the Dolly is a 20" Cannon Superbar. It's damn heavy and the 7900 ain't no spring chicken to start with.

That's good to hear. Can't wait to get some more time with this saw. Kinda wish I got a 24" bar instead of 20". The spikes take up so much space
Take the spikes off and mount a (custom made) skid plate to protect the PH from touching the bark?!
With a sharp and aggressive chain a Dolmar PS-7900 doesn't need spikes for bucking and limbing anyways!

Also, a 8 tooth sprocket gives this saw a nice chain speed increase combined with a 20" bar - although I wasn't very impressed bucking oak trunks, works wonders in beach though. :chainsaw:

Think I might be the only one who likes the 3 point stock spike bars.
I have a bar adapter from Mike, I can run any of my STIHL bars from 16"-36".
The only true mount bar I have for the Dolly is a 20" Cannon Superbar. It's damn heavy and the 7900 ain't no spring chicken to start with.
I like the big 3 point USA Style spikes that @computeruser kindly sent to me, they are a completely different ball game compared to the small European spikes.
They are no good for limbing and bucking small diameter stuff though!

Yes, I use my Dolmar PS-7900 for everything if it was the saw of choice that day! ;)

I have cut down bushes with my Dolmar PS-6400 & 20" bar the entire week, the under 1" thin stuff wasn't a pleasure to cut though! :p

Dolmar PS-6400.JPG

I do actually like the 3 points. They work well and grip the tree/bar without getting stuck. I just wish they took up a little less bar space. It's a minor gripe haha

Nice work.
I have a 7900 that I ran over with the skid steer a couple years ago(speaking of idiotic moves). I'm in the process of gathering the parts to get it back up and running. Reading this thread gets me kinda excited to get it done. Then I think it's off to Randy for a little port work for this one.

Thanks! It was a lot of work and I didn't start with much but it all came together. I got a lot of help from members here. I may have some extra parts laying around. Make sure to start a thread once u get going!

Thanks! It was a lot of work and I didn't start with much but it all came together. I got a lot of help from members here. I may have some extra parts laying around. Make sure to start a thread once u get going!

Being is I'm in the tree biz I needed that saw so it got replaced with a 7910 and I love it. But the 7900 was my first brand new saw so I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it.
I did have a thread about it when it happened so maybe I'll dig it out of the archives and give it a chapter 2 so to speak.
Mine, both cases were broke, flywheel cover and shroud were junk, cylinder cover and front handle also junk, clutch cover cracked but useable.
I finally found some cases so the hard part is done. Now just the final details.

Fired it up and it oils so much better! Like a different saw. It hasn't leaked any out for a few days which is great too. After putting the new throttle return spring I must have put the butterfly on backwards because and had it take it back out lol. Can't wait to put it to work now!!

Now some videos of that rocking out. Ohhhh how about a shoot out between your 6100 and your 7900.

Back