New purchases and how do these prices look.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lawn Shark

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Arborplex bullrope (samson)5/8, 150', 9,000,12 stand for 164.99$
or
Arborplex bullrope (samson)3/4, 150', 12,000,12 strand for 221.05$
Using for rigging not going to lowering anything heavier than say 100 to 200lbs @ the most....will the 5/8 do the job safely....most of the time it will be used for 55lbs and less

Weaver curb saw scabbord 25" for 20.90$

Fanno curved blade saw 22" for 49.99$

Arbormaster Goldstreak climb line 1/2, 16 strand, 150' for 159.00$
or
Hi vee safety blue 1/2, 150', 16 strand, for 159.00$
or
True blue 1/2, 12 strand 150' for 149.00$

Choosing between these three ropes....pros/cons of each would be great for replys.

pricing from three different stores...I know ordering online is cheaper but I like to pay and leave with my purchases and see what I'm buying first hand.

Last edited:
Sherrill Tree (which is one of the more expensive places to buy from) offers 12 strand 12mm Arborplex 150 ft. for $86.and the tensile strenght is 6,000. I'd do a little more shopping around for the rest of the stuff too, all those prices seem a bit high.

Find a Vermeer dealer near you that is one of SherrilTree's dealers. Then you can walk in and buy what you want at their catalog prices. They are a little higher on some things and lower on others. I'm lucky enough to be 20 miles from the SherrilTree "headquarters".

One possibility might be:

VERMEER SALES & SERVICE/ANNAPOLIS JUNCTION
8830 CORRIDOR ROAD
ANNAPOLIS JUNCTION MD 20701

(800) 492-1274

Last edited:
use 1/2 for rigging

if your only lowering 2-300 pound peices you dont need a bullrope...use 1/2 arbormaster... 8,100 lb breaking strength...you will love it for weight ion comparison to bull rope..unless your rigging big wood you basically never need a bull rope.. try wesspur.com or sherill tree..reputable...dont try to shop locally they jack the prices...(unless your trying to support the local economy_)
Saferty blue is agood climbing rope..true blue is a great rigging rope..12 strand is awesome for natural crotching..
based on your pre4vious posts..i dont hi nk your gonna really need 150 foot rope either...unless your really gonna be taking off limbs that are that high up...typicaly 120 is great for anything in the east...if you need tyo recrotch on your way down its usually much easier then trying to overhaul a 150...

Last edited:
I have the 120' goldstreak. I like it, no complaints, performs well. I don't know that I would like another rope that much more or less than this one. The biggest change seems to be with those going to 7/16" and the lighter weight. I think you will be fine with any of the 3 listed.

120' really does most of what I do. Only a few times have I wanted 150'. I am not sure my rope bag will fit 150' but I think I may get one next. As Thillmaine said, 120' would likely be fine for what you will be doing, especially starting out. But I wouldn't go shorter.

I'd try out a Fanno and Silky before committing to one or the other. The nice thing about the Fanno is that the replacement blades seem to be cheaper.

I also agree with Thillmaine on the bull rope. If you are going to limit yourself to that size, then 1/2" will be fine. If you really want a bull rope, the 5/8" should be fine for you, especially starting out. 150' is a good length. Get a real block too, not just a pulley. That will be money well spent.

Think about a port-a-wrap and sling to have consistent friction control for lowering.

Thanks for the replys......Yeah I have two vermeer dealers within 50 miles.I'll have to call and make sure they have what I want in stock do they carry alot of the sherrill stuff in stock and are they the same price as what the online catolog is???????

if are only lowering 200lb pieces a bull rope is not needed at all. I lower 500lb pieces on half inch and only break out the bull line when winching big leaners over or blocking down a real thick spar.

and your prices are way high. go for the 120' rope. need an extension have your ground man tie on a 50' extension on the ground. no need to coil up that extra 30' every day

before you spend too much, call or visit other supply houses. try baileys (link above), wespur, bishop company...there are others. Those prices above are through the roof. Sherrill isnt the cheapest either. Do some shopping, im sure youll find better prices.

as for the lowering, yes, you can get away with 1/2" climbing line for rigging. Its not what it was designed for, but alot of guys (myself included) use it and get away with it. If you want double braid, Id go w/ 5/8".

I agree with most everything already posted, but in the name of redundancy I will throw out some material.

Prices are high

1/2" true blue for the rigging.

120' ropes are standard. If you absolutely have to you can tie two ropes together on the rare occasion you need it.

I have Fanno and Silky Sugoi saws. I would say the Silky cuts a little faster, but thinner, flimsier blade. The Fanno seams to have a heavier more durable blade, and cheaper. I like the Silky because of the rubber handle doesn't hurt my teeth as much when I put it in my mouth at times, and you can shove it tight or loose in the scabord so it won't come out even if flipped upside down, a little slimmer/tighter design so it takes up less room. Both great saws.

Last edited:
For your handsaw get a Silky Zubat...$50 from Canadian Arborist Supplies. At 13" is way shorter than your Fanno, but super sharp, easier to move around with and use in tight spaces. Mine is in a Weaver curved scabbard.
No need to see it first, guaranteed the best handsaw you will buy.

Last edited:
If you are going to limit yourself to 200lbs 1/2 will be fine. But a green tree will have to be cut up into postage stamps in order to keep your wieght that low. I would get a 5/8 for heavier rigging and make a lot less cuts in the tree.

For your handsaw get a Silky Zubat...$50 from Canadian Arborist Supplies. At 13" is way shorter than your Fanno, but super sharp, easier to move around with and use in tight spaces. Mine is in a Weaver curved scabbard.
No need to see it first, guaranteed the best handsaw you will buy.

i have recently been able to use a range of gear at tech,

Saws: the silky Zubat 330 would have to be the pick of the group with 8 out of 11 Arboriculture students buying this one (the other 3 got the silky Sugio), this is a fantastic saw good weight, and nice length blade, seamed to cut faster with the curve opposed to the straight model, and it just kinda hung nice of my harness!

Rope: all 11 of us are climbing on Samson arbormaster 1/2, personally i have gold streak

Harness: 5 of the students went with a Tree Motion harness, 2 went with Tree Austria 2, 2 got a Komet Butterfly and 2 chose Buckingham Glide 2.

I went to vermeer today and made some purchases I'll tell you about it when I get back from going to get some more gear

Back