New saddle time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigUglySquirrel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Time to get out of this 20lb buttstrap saddle and get something a bit more comfy and easier to move around in...did I mention LIGHTER would be a big plus?

I've searched all the threads on the topic...which took awhile and really didn't produce any real current stuff...but here's what I've got so far.

It seems the top choices are the Butterfly II, the Petzl Vario and something from New Tribe...don't remember the model. The Edelrid Tree Magic came up several times, but the trail on it sorta stopped. So! I'm going to tell you the type of climber I am and waited anxiously for the input of all a'you's!

I climb on a split-tail most of the time, I do prunes/trims and removals. I don't use spikes on anything but take-downs and I'm not into all the mechanical ascenders and such so I need to be able to hump up a rope with no issues. I go about 210 lbs. and don't mind hanging on the rope. No one I know has anything other than the typical buttstrap type saddles and the nearest supply store is about 2 hours each way. My concerns lie mainly in the floating/rolling D bridge vs. a fixed attachment. I see the advantage of the floating setup, but will it make body thrust difficult?

The models most appealling to me at this point are the ButterflyII, the Tree Magic and the Master Deluxe (Sherrill)

Any input would be most stellar!!!

Thanks!

Hey BUS,

If any thing makes you gravitate to the Petzl Vario, you should know that it comes with options.

You want the Work saddle, (wider back support) the Fast leg clips, and the optional BIG side Dees.

Good Luck, and search the site for other opinions.

RedlineIt

Gonna chime in here. I am looking at saddle options, too. Climbed for years starting on triple twist hemp and the 4-D butt-strap Bashlin saddles with a tautline. Now using a BeeLine Vt on ropes that have names like Fire and Poison Hi-Vy... times sure have changed. Curious about a saddle with a bridge. New Tribe ProGear, Petzl Navaho Vario, Master II, and Komet Butterfly II all seem to have fans. Is the bridge replaceable on the New Tribe? Do the larger leg supports on the New Tribe get hot/collect sawdust? Did I hear Butterfly II has had some quality issues?
There seems to be truth in the wisdom:
(and I paraphrase) 'that you tend to find the first saddle you use to be the definition of a good saddle, and you change to fit the saddle, the saddle doesn't change to fit you' (G.F.Beranek)...

The deal with the bridge is my big thing. The New Tribe has the advantage of being so low-weight, but other than that it didn't do much for me. Granted a 2 lb. saddle sounds REALLY cool. :) We're trying to put together a little field trip for this week to go check some things out. (Big Shot, Log Dolly, mech. ascenders, new saddles....) All I need now is a great big wad o' cash!

Also....what's up with the Glide? Anyone familiar??

To answer one of your questions, a floating D (or ring) won't cause you any trouble with body thrusting. Floating D's rock, once you climb on one it's tough to go back to a fixed point attachment.

The NT is very comfortable on the legs. None of the NT saddles have a floating attachment point.

If you ever plan on using ascenders for SRT the NT saddle can potentially cause nut crunching. Butterfly II has zero nut interference SRT.

Roger that....zero nut interference is a good thing! Dig it like a ditch! Anyone familiar with the Tree Magic?? Any Brits listening? Help a brutha out!

eheheh beer is my friend. :rock:

BUS and PW,

another saddle you might look at is the tree austria. It too is a lightweight saddle, floating d, individual legs. Ive had mine a year and a half and its still treating me great.

I can attest to the above comment about the 'not switching back to a fixed AP'. I did just that once. Had a floater and picked up a master 2 cheap. Didnt really like it but Id dumped the money and wasnt going to waste it. when I finally switched back to the floater, I was back in heaven.

Of course you can add a floating attachment point (bridge) to the Master series. The NewTribe doesn't have a bridge but the legs do float and it remains the most comfortable Saddle I have ever flown

Ive had my Arbormaster for about 6 years now, before that I was playing musical chairs with all the different kinds. The Arbormaster works for me with the "western" style bridge, large "d's", and the wide back for support. Oh and the batton which I prefer over the individual leg straps. I added suspenders to keep it where it needs to be when I am lugging a big saw for chunking big wood.

My advice is to try 'em all on if you can.

RedlineIt said:
Hey BUS,

If any thing makes you gravitate to the Petzl Vario, you should know that it comes with options.

You want the Work saddle, (wider back support) the Fast leg clips, and the optional BIG side Dees.

RedlineIt
brother red my vendor told me petzel wont modify the saddles you got anything?j

pigwot said:
Gonna chime in here. I am looking at saddle options, too. Climbed for years starting on triple twist hemp and the 4-D butt-strap Bashlin saddles with a tautline. Now using a BeeLine Vt on ropes that have names like Fire and Poison Hi-Vy... times sure have changed. Curious about a saddle with a bridge. New Tribe ProGear, Petzl Navaho Vario, Master II, and Komet Butterfly II all seem to have fans. Is the bridge replaceable on the New Tribe? Do the larger leg supports on the New Tribe get hot/collect sawdust? Did I hear Butterfly II has had some quality issues?
(and I paraphrase) 'that you tend to find the first saddle you use to be the definition of a good saddle, and you change to fit the saddle, the saddle doesn't change to fit you' (G.F.Beranek)...
3 strand hemp?were you a bowline on a bight guy too

I like sierra moreno saddles,I climbed on a bry-dan for years but they seem to be hard to find,...would be worth checking out if you can find a distributor . Never climbed with a glide but several climbers have told me they don't like it, just one of those designs that hasn't worked the glitches out of yet.

Last edited:
I would add the Blair Ultra lite to your list of potential try -ons. I tried the master 2 and could not get comfortable with it. Other problem was it would pull down to my knees when I hung a big saw on it. The Blair has Velcro and buckle waist strap keep it in place, individual leg straps. Has 2 floating d's but they do have a short range of float that I like. Some floaters come all the around to your side, which gives some pinch potential. Came out of butt strap with fixed d and will not go back. Good luck with your search.

Dadatwins said:
I tried the master 2 and could not get comfortable with it. Other problem was it would pull down to my knees when I hung a big saw on it.

Suspenders made a big difference on mine. Plus it's a good place to hang a cell phone and a water bottle.
Phil

BigUglySquirrel said:
Roger that....zero nut interference is a good thing! Dig it like a ditch! Anyone familiar with the Tree Magic?? Any Brits listening? Help a brutha out!

eheheh beer is my friend. :rock:

I have a Tree Magic II as a spare and rescue harness. I used one in the UK for about a month, it was a VERY comfortable saddle. (Buckingham II / Komet Butterfly being the others)
I bought one, only climbed it once, I haven't had time to adjust properly yet, so I still use my Komet. It has loads of attachment points 5 on the bottom of the back support - 4 on the top plus a a bent gate krab on the right hip. All the attachment points are rated at 30kg. It has 2 sliding D's and the bridge length is adjustable, has 2 fixed D's on hips. The leg loops don't have quick release clips, just web buckles.

I tried the Austrian Duo, I didn't like it but 3 of the other guys loved it and bought their own, I guess it comes down to what fits your shape and weight best.

Don't get a Master! Now that saddle is a nut cruncher. I just bought one after using my Buckingham for 18years. I'm now searching for a nut and hip friendly saddle.

RedlineIt said:
Hey BUS,

RedlineIt
red what options i checked my vendor again yesterday and was told petzel will not modify like buc

pigwot said:
3-strand hemp what year was this???

pigwot said:
jmack: Only when necessary. Really enjoying these new ropes and tricks...
whoops been a few since ive been on thread

Back