New saddle time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scars2prove-it said:
Don't get a Master! Now that saddle is a nut cruncher. I just bought one after using my Buckingham for 18years. I'm now searching for a nut and hip friendly saddle.
master much pain indeed gave mine away to a chick. try either pinnacle or miniboss

I used to get on great with the willans t20 for over ten yrs until i tried the heighteck tree hopper. Compared to the tree hopper i found the t20 with its seat and leg loops could be a bit hard on the hips after many hours and a bit restrictive in movement. Tree hopper has only leg loops, is set low on the hips suited for the good old body thrust/split tale style. It has a webbing bridge stitched into it, so only one crab is needed in the system. Its very light and allows superb unrestricted movement. I'm a firm believer in simplicity and cutting out all the clobber (potential failure points in a system) which seems to be the trend nowadays.

I would say choose a harness that is comfy and suited to your climbing style.

hard seat

gotta get the hard seat, dude
i climbed, at first, with a buckinham ball buster and it was
obviously
terrible
the hard seat is like being able to let go of the steering wheel and still be able to drive

Used the New Tribe Pro work saddle a few times now... I know a new style/fit takes some getting used to, but I am having one problem in particular: the nice wide well-padded belt cuts into my ribs in the front while hanging. Anyone use one know what I mean? Maybe I got one size too big? Other than that it is quite comfy.

Just got in a new Navaho saddle and thought it looked like it was going to be great however I will warn you that all though it is comfortable the middle D to tie into after siting down will be somewhere between your nipples and chin. It is a joke and there is no adjusting. one of my bigger guys really likes it because he fills it up better however it comes large to xxl as a size and I know I can't fit into a medium. So beware.

I tried the Petzl Navaho BOD and did not like it. I could cinch the leg straps down far enough on my legs to be comfortable at the start of the work, but by the time I had worked in it for a half hour or so it had worked its way up into my crotch. Worse, I double crotched it pretty wide in a big live oak with one set of lines on the bottom D and the other in the top D (D's were too small to put both sets of lines in one D) and by the time I got through the bottom D had cut a few threads of the support webbing. I boxed it up today to send back to Sherrill Monday.

So, Im back in my 1985 Klein Butt Strap with the modified sliding bridge. It's still in good shape, but the more I climb the more aware I am of the hip squeeze problem.

I want the butt board and sliding D's. I think I'm going to a Buckingham Traverse.

pigwot said:
Used the New Tribe Pro work saddle a few times now... I know a new style/fit takes some getting used to, but I am having one problem in particular: the nice wide well-padded belt cuts into my ribs in the front while hanging. Anyone use one know what I mean? Maybe I got one size too big? Other than that it is quite comfy.
new tribe is rec climbing gear brudder pig

Fireaxman said:
I tried the Petzl Navaho BOD and did not like it. I could cinch the leg straps down far enough on my legs to be comfortable at the start of the work, but by the time I had worked in it for a half hour or so it had worked its way up into my crotch. Worse, I double crotched it pretty wide in a big live oak with one set of lines on the bottom D and the other in the top D (D's were too small to put both sets of lines in one D) and by the time I got through the bottom D had cut a few threads of the support webbing. I boxed it up today to send back to Sherrill Monday.

So, Im back in my 1985 Klein Butt Strap with the modified sliding bridge. It's still in good shape, but the more I climb the more aware I am of the hip squeeze problem.

I want the butt board and sliding D's. I think I'm going to a Buckingham Traverse.
you tried the sherrill saddle and are returning it ????? are you getting refund, trade, credit, or what sounds like this would solve some problems with buying something you havent tried

I've spent about 5 days now in the New Tribe Progear work saddle. No sore hips at the end of the day. It's a winner, very comfortable.

pigwot said:
I've spent about 5 days now in the New Tribe Progear work saddle. No sore hips at the end of the day. It's a winner, very comfortable.
how much? do you have a link j

jmack said:
how much? do you have a link j

http://www.newtribe.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=180

I got mine with the quick-release buckles on the leg straps and a "Sash" one-sided suspender (crosses from left at hip to right shoulder) as I hang my saw on the left.
Saddle $215.00
Buckles 26.50
Sash 11.00
Total $252.50

Very nice desin, and TESTED AND MEET ANSI A10.14-1991 STANDARD, Class I HARNESSES FOR FALL ARREST/RESTRAINT, and Class II WORK POSITIONING (their caps, not mine, just cut'n'pasted from their site, wasn't yelling)

jmack said:
you tried the sherrill saddle and are returning it ????? are you getting refund, trade, credit, or what sounds like this would solve some problems with buying something you havent tried

Both Sherrill and OK Arborist Supply have offerred to let me buy a saddle and return it if I don't like it, as long as I return it in Like New condition and I pay the shipping. I think there are several vendors who will do that for you, and it is a good way to get the look and feel of a saddle if you are content to just hang on it in your living room where you wont get it dirty. Unfortunately, that is not going to help me with the BOD.

When I first tried it out I liked it. I especially liked the sternal D ring and the fall protection rated harness, and it was comfortable enough as long I as I was just hanging on it. So I took it into the trees.

I used it for 3 months before the pelvic D started fraying the webbing. Now Sherrill is going to have to send it back to Petzle to decide if it was a defective harness before I can get any refund.

Fireaxman said:
Both Sherrill and OK Arborist Supply have offerred to let me buy a saddle and return it if I don't like it, as long as I return it in Like New condition and I pay the shipping. I think there are several vendors who will do that for you, and it is a good way to get the look and feel of a saddle if you are content to just hang on it in your living room where you wont get it dirty. Unfortunately, that is not going to help me with the BOD.

When I first tried it out I liked it. I especially liked the sternal D ring and the fall protection rated harness, and it was comfortable enough as long I as I was just hanging on it. So I took it into the trees.

I used it for 3 months before the pelvic D started fraying the webbing. Now Sherrill is going to have to send it back to Petzle to decide if it was a defective harness before I can get any refund.
thanks guys i went with the weaver independent leg straps an large dees

been using my weaver double dee for the last couple of months and i like it alot.i like the way it looks and how it feels.it's heavier than the other saddles,but there is something i like about it.in the end,it's what suits you best.

anyone else having nut crunching problems with SRT using New Tribe work saddles?

To answer one of your questions, a floating D (or ring) won't cause you any trouble with body thrusting. Floating D's rock, once you climb on one it's tough to go back to a fixed point attachment.

The NT is very comfortable on the legs. None of the NT saddles have a floating attachment point.

If you ever plan on using ascenders for SRT the NT saddle can potentially cause nut crunching. Butterfly II has zero nut interference SRT.

anyone else having nut crunching problems with SRT using New Tribe work saddles?

I am not using SRT, but did lose about 20 pounds since last January and now when I climb I have had minor nut crunch problems with my NT. It had fit perfectly and I had no nut interference last winter, but now I am working at getting the leg straps adjusted differently. It is still the most comfortable saddle I've used overall.

Latest posts

Back