New saw advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frickjp

Reaction score
After paying $300 for a carb repair on my 3-year-old 550XP, I've become less of a fan of computer-controlled machines. I don’t know what was wrong with a string and a gas hole. I am looking for an approx. 5HP saw. We have 2 properties, each that provide fire wood and need thinning on occasion. I have smaller saws for most purposes, but when a larger one needs cut, I want a larger saw. Currently, the 550 runs a 20” 3/8 .058 bar and chain. I probably have a dozen chains. I am looking at a Stihl. I seem to find that the MS362 fits my needs. Will an MS362 run an .058 bar? Is it a reliable saw? My smaller Stihl has never missed a beat. I’d rather not have 2 dozen 72 link chains, as I will never be able to keep them straight.

Not really a response to your question; however I am curious.

If you have a dozen saws and a 20" bar is your "large" saw, what are your other saws? And why are they too small to run a 20" bar?

Edit: oh wait, dozen chains not saws.

I am not a saw expert by any means, I am an electrician who went to forestry school, and I am a certified Generac tech. in your saw, it sounds to me like a case of chucking parts at in hopes to make up for poor diagnostic ability. again, I wasn't there and I am not an expert. as to your bar and chain conundrum, I have recently discovered that .058 is a husquvarna size and .050 a Stihl, im in a similar boat in that I am buying a used Stihl for sentimental reasons more than necessity, to adapt to your existing bar and chain would be a pain, and constantly cause compatibility issues, especially as you forget where one part began and another ended. my advice would be to stick with husquvarna. they have given me excellent service through the years, and before them was a Johnsered that did the same. if you don't otherwise have brand loyalty, go with the one that has the best dealer.

After paying $300 for a carb repair on my 3-year-old 550XP, I've become less of a fan of computer-controlled machines. I don’t know what was wrong with a string and a gas hole. I am looking for an approx. 5HP saw. We have 2 properties, each that provide fire wood and need thinning on occasion. I have smaller saws for most purposes, but when a larger one needs cut, I want a larger saw. Currently, the 550 runs a 20” 3/8 .058 bar and chain. I probably have a dozen chains. I am looking at a Stihl. I seem to find that the MS362 fits my needs. Will an MS362 run an .058 bar? Is it a reliable saw? My smaller Stihl has never missed a beat. I’d rather not have 2 dozen 72 link chains, as I will never be able to keep them straight.

Autotunes seem to be known for either being great or having issues.

A new 362 is Stihl’s answer to the Husky 562 & both are electronic carb saws. The 362 is a solid choice in its class. Don’t be scared of the MTronic.

If you’re set on a new saw with a conventional carburetor and 5 or more HP, I would encourage you to look toward a MS461.

Evidently the Husqvarna 372s are decent too since they just reintroduced them for the 5 time. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a early Jonsered 2253. I had a AT12 carb put on it.It was only 122.00. Sounds like someone took advantage of you. About the price that you paid.The Husy 2163 or 365 would be a great start if you want a non computer controlled saw. Please take a look at the 550 mark2, mine has been dead reliable.

For a 20” bar, I’d find a 260ish size stihl, then have a saw shop break and mend the chains to fit. Around here I see a few used 260’s on Craigslist that look pretty good in the pics for a decent price. I’ve ran them in the tree service and they hold up good and decent power for weight

Latest posts

Back