New saw advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehotrodpig

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I have a Stihl 046 that I love but needs a new case due to the clutch exploding which screwed up the case so bad it wont oil. I plan on rebuilding it over the winter or perhaps having someone rebuild it and possibly hop it up a bit.

In the mean time I am thinking about buying a new saw. I would like some advise on what saw to get. My parameters are that it needs to have close to the same power as my 046. I will be using it around my property to cut firewood and clear downed trees. I prefer a longer bar with more power when cutting firewood because I hate bending over. I am thinking that I should just get another Stihl but the Huskys seem to be a bit cheaper in price. Any and all advise is appreciated. I will be cruising this forum trying to gather as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, I have a Stihl 046 that I love but needs a new case due to the clutch exploding which screwed up the case so bad it wont oil. I plan on rebuilding it over the winter or perhaps having someone rebuild it and possibly hop it up a bit.

In the mean time I am thinking about buying a new saw. I would like some advise on what saw to get. My parameters are that it needs to have close to the same power as my 046. I will be using it around my property to cut firewood and clear downed trees. I prefer a longer bar with more power when cutting firewood because I hate bending over. I am thinking that I should just get another Stihl but the Huskys seem to be a bit cheaper in price. Any and all advise is appreciated. I will be cruising this forum trying to gather as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance.

stihl ms 460 or husky 390xp if you don't mind the extra weight

Why not another 046..? :D

Then when you fix your first, you can sell one of them for the same money you bought the new one for, or keep both, so that if one breaks down you have another backup saw ready for work. Or, if you decide not to fix the first saw you can keep it as a parts saw, or tear it down and sell the parts piece by piece or sell it as a basket case to someone who wants to fix it!

/Pontus

Thanks guys. I am thinking either a new 440 or 460. They are close enough in price, just trying to decide if the little less weight of the 440 makes up for the less power. Saw shop is thinking that my saw is getting on its last legs anyway so it would be nice to have two.

That 441 c m looks intriguing. My saw shop did not seem too enthused about it though. They felt it was a lot of smog junk that would hamper performance and increase cost of service.

I guess the question is do you want something equal to your old saw or a powerfull limber? after you fix the old girl up get a big saw or a small limbing saw imo, so I say get a big stihl or a big husky in the 90cc range or get a small screamer in the 50cc range, take your pick...

Well the saw is at the shop now getting looked at. Even if they can fix it for a reasonable price I am thinking that I want to get another saw with at least close to the power the 046. This saw is getting old and I think I may make it my back up saw. I have a nice running old 032 I use for limbing. I just want something that has plenty of power to push a 25- 28" bar for firewood. I handled a 660 today and it felt too heavy for my use.

That 441 c m looks intriguing. My saw shop did not seem too enthused about it though. They felt it was a lot of smog junk that would hamper performance and increase cost of service.

The opinion of your shop guys does'nt fit with mine or alot of other guys here. :D

The 441C is my favorite saw Stihl makes right now. They are just a beast, especially at only 70cc. They will run right with a 460. I would definetly check one out if I were you. Theres some raw power in those babies. The m-tronic seems to be flawless from what I've seen. I havent heard of any problems with it.

Better AV, filtration, and as much or more power than a 460. Whats not to like? :rock:

well what I was getting at was the smaller 50cc screamers have accelerater pumps on the carbs and can get through the small stuff quick. If you want a big saw then what size trees do you cut? I have never had the need for a saw bigger than 70cc that size can easily run a 28" dia bar an a Stihl 046 with a fresh topend can pull a32" bar but do you need that?

The opinion of your shop guys does'nt fit with mine or alot of other guys here. :D

The 441C is my favorite saw Stihl makes right now. They are just a beast, especially at only 70cc. They will run right with a 460. I would definetly check one out if I were you. Theres some raw power in those babies. The m-tronic seems to be flawless from what I've seen. I havent heard of any problems with it.

Better AV, filtration, and as much or more power than a 460. Whats not to like? :rock:

+ 1 from me.:)

well what I was getting at was the smaller 50cc screamers have accelerater pumps on the carbs and can get through the small stuff quick. If you want a big saw then what size trees do you cut? I have never had the need for a saw bigger than 70cc that size can easily run a 28" dia bar an a Stihl 046 with a fresh topend can pull a32" bar but do you need that?

Well need is a relative term. I rarely let that word get in the way. :msp_biggrin:

I really like the power and 28" bar of my 046 compared to Smaller saws I have used. I am thinking I might look more into that 441. It sounds like it might fit my needs...or wants well.

I am not sure how much he has actually messed with them. This is the first time I have used this guy. Either way I think I am interested in checking out a 441. Sounds like it might fit the bill.

I would buy a 441 C M if I had to buy a new saw. Then again, I payed less for my three saws (026, 046 and 064) than the cost of a new 441.

Hi Hot Rod
You have one of the best saws ever built, so if you are going to buy a new saw stick with the best. I would suggest buying a new MS 460R while they are still avaliable. If you like the 046 you now have you will love the 460R. It is almost the same saw but with the 460R you get the high out put oiler / the over sized clutch cover with a roller chain catcher and the extended chip deflector / the large duel dogs / 3/4 wrap top handle and the carberator has a larger high side jet.
You get all of these extras for about $60 more than the standard MS460 and these extras turn a 460 into a true production saw. Don,t get it confused with the 460 rescue saw, some dealers do. If you do buy one, run a few tanks of fuel through it and replace the muffler cover with a factory duel port muffler cover and richen up the high speed jet and it will handel a 36 in. bar because these saws will supply enough oil to run the long bars and clear the chip from the cut and the clutch cover. I agree with you a long bar saves your back and allows you to buck logs all day with out wearing out your back.
Safe cutting all and pray for this wounderfull but failing nation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back