new saw any tips for run in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin Garrison

Justin Garrison

ArboristSite Operative
There is many opinions for saw break in. What I did was run it at idle for about 5 mins a couple times lettting it cool of in between to get a little strength built up and the put a hard load but not too hard, no excessive rpms, to seat the rings. I did a plunge cut in some oak. take it easy for about the first 5 tanks. Just my 2 cents!

Justin Garrison

Justin Garrison

ArboristSite Operative
I just read a thred about the virginia beach Stihl factory tour, And it said saws are run and tested on load before shipping out. So it has been somewhat broken in, not a virgin.
I would feel safer running it a little before putting load on it. My new Stihl Ms 180c, the tank smelled of gas so I knew it had been run. If I put gas in it and wanted to take it back it would be unnacceptable.

sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
Justin, The tank on your new Stihl should have had some gas in it as well as some bar oil in the oil tank. The saw should have been assembled and run at the dealer and you should have been given a demonstration of its features. And Stihl WILL take your saw back if you were truely displeased, even if you'd used it.

Justin Garrison

Justin Garrison

ArboristSite Operative
Sedanman, the tank had no gas or oil in it when I got it I didin't buy it myself I got it as a present. It had gas in it at some point, but never oil. They did not run it for my dad, they told him if I did not like it and had not run it I could take it back.

sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
Justin, We will sometimes send a saw out in the box if it is to be a present as well. We tell the customer that the recipient is welcome to a free set up and demonstration of their new saw once they unwrap it.

WRW

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
sedanman said:
Justin, We will sometimes send a saw out in the box if it is to be a present as well. We tell the customer that the recipient is welcome to a free set up and demonstration of their new saw once they unwrap it.

That was my experience with a retirement gift. I was told to take it to the dealer for setup, and they would mail in the warranty card.

Justin Garrison

Justin Garrison

ArboristSite Operative
Yeah that is what they said. I just did it myself. They said they would show me how to put the bar on. I be pretty scared if there was people running around with chainsaws that didn't know how to put a bar on!

sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
It's a liability issue. Stihl and the dealer are legally less liable for the buyer injuring themselves if the buyer is given a demostration of basic functions and safety issues. We have a pretty good idea who really 'NEEDS' the talk and who doesn't. You'd be surprised at how little some people know. The concept of flipping the bar doesn't sink in to most people until I equate it with rotating their tire.

Dwayne Ferguson

Dwayne Ferguson

ArboristSite Member
rb_in_va said:
Dwayne,
You put 25 tanks through it in 3 days? Thas alotta cuttin!
I'm a logger here in new Zealand I'm on the landing my self and two other cutters limb and cut up about 230 steams in a 9 hour day so yeah its getting a work out i was using my 395xp but what a killer on the back at the end of the day the 372 is like a toy with the 20" on it