New Saw Decision Time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one, folks?

• Total voters

WVshooter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright all, I've been lurking around here for a little while, being a sponge for all sorts of info, and now it's my time to post.

I'm now looking to buy a new saw and have it narrowed down, just looking for some input. I'll be feeding an OWB to heat my house and shop, as well as helping cut wood for our local fire dept and my dad (both with OWB's).

The four saws I have come down to are: Sthil 391, Stihl 362, Jonsered 2159 and Jonsered 2165. I realize the 391 is a mid-range saw, and lacks some of the 362's refinement, but price is quite relevant. I've always appreciated the 361, but I hear the 362 isn't quite the saw it replaced. Jonsered is appealing to me, as I've heard/seen good things and the local dealer is 10 mins from my house as opposed to 30-40 mins for a Stihl dealer. The Jons dealer tells me I could expect similar performance out of the 2159 to the 361, although the displacement from the 2165 would be nice, too, and for not a whole lot more money. I know the 2171 is a good cutter at the same weight, but, again, the 2165 would be the top end of my price range.

I'm located in eastern West Virginia and have an abundance of mixed species up through 18" with an occasional 24" that I intend to burn. Any of these would be running a 20" bar with a 50ga. 3/8" chain. That said, let's hear some suggestions and opinions!

Thanks!

If this helps at all the Jonsered 2165 and the 2171 is the same family saw as the Husqvarna 365 Special and the 371xp which are both outdone by the 372xp. Anyone of them are great saws but you'll like the few extra cc's if you can afford it. If you are going to be happier with Red or Orange it's mostly were you'll be able to get service.

Like you've said... I've seen mixed reviews on the Stihl 362 and I haven't ever heard anyone grip about a 361.

My vote 372xp if you can find one near you.

NOT a 391

toss a coin on the other three. I'd probably go with the 365 myself. Then you can ask for a 372BB kit for xmas

You got a lot of work to do, spend a little extra and get the 362. Its light enough for limbing and big enough to work up a 20" diameter hardwood in a reasonable amount of time. If you have a lot of bigger tougher wood you would make better time with a bigger chainsaw. If you do most of your own maintnence its more economical to scrounge up some used chainsaws and have a more verstaile arsenal when you attack your wood chores.

2165, it is the best bang for the buck. The Stihls are new models and have all the quirks that new models come with. Let someone else deal with all the issues until Stihl gets them sorted.

The 2159 is a toy compared to the 2165 in both capability and durability.

I should add that limbing isn't really a concern, since I've got an 024 to take care of that. I'm really looking at something for felling and cutting. It also may see some occasional use on forest fires.

Thanks for the input so far!

If this helps at all the Jonsered 2165 and the 2171 is the same family saw as the Husqvarna 365 Special and the 371xp which are both outdone by the 372xp. Anyone of them are great saws but you'll like the few extra cc's if you can afford it. If you are going to be happier with Red or Orange it's mostly were you'll be able to get service.

Like you've said... I've seen mixed reviews on the Stihl 362 and I haven't ever heard anyone grip about a 361.

My vote 372xp if you can find one near you.

Only that the 2171 and 371 won't be out done by the 372.

Another for the 2165 and slip it a BB further down the track.

Last edited:
The coop about 30 miles from me wanted $650 for a 2171 a few weeks ago. That wasn't even counting the bag and drag promo. If you're going to get a saw that weighs that much I would go ahead and get the 2171. I'm not a big stihl fan so I don't know much about the 391 and 362. I bought a brand new 290 about 6 years ago and sold it within a month. It weighed as much as the 044 and wasn't close to keeping up with it. Where are you in WV? I know a pretty good dealer if you're close to bluefield area.

I'm not close at all to Bluefield, but thanks. Eastern Panhandle is my stomping ground.

Seems we're neck and neck for the 2165 and the 362 at this point, although the 2165 folks are telling me why more than the stihl's.

The 2171 is a 372 in prettier plastic. Not a 371.

Thank you for the correction... I wasn't totally sure about the exact model conversions. Not too many Jonsered saws around here. Farmers seem to like Stihl but that is a function of their marketing schema.

Latest posts

Back