New saw has me scared enough to make my first post.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fieldsgulch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found this site a month ago and started reading like crazy. Grew up with a brand new jonsered 630 west coast bought in the 80des. Wonderful saw but I have learned how to treat it better by reading on this site. Also I just purchased chaps and a helmet, so I am listening. Then I guess I got this cad thing and wound up buying a jonsered 2165 new on line. I read everything I could about new saw break-in and chose something between "run it like you stole it" and "take it easy for awhile" Anyway, last night I put in the first tank of "fresh gas" mixed per the manuel and started cutting blocks from a deck of spruce. Everything was going great, for about half a tank and then I started to notice when I put the saw to the wood it would actually die if I did not back off. I could limb or run it without any serious down pressure with no problem, it idles fine and starts fine. When it would die as I began my cut, it would start right back up. I filled it up with gas but same results. So I am a little freaked out I did some sort of damage, tell me this is a simple fix. Thanks in advance.

Is the carb adjusted properly? Most new saws are adjusted too lean from the factory so the dealers that know anything will set them up a little richer. A lean set saw has less power but higher revs, it heats the P&C and leads to premature piston and cylinder scoring.
The carb needs to be set so the engine fourstrokes once in the cut and coming out of the cut but changes over to two stroke in the cut.

Last edited:
I read the manuel last night and what it has to say about adjusting the carb. Its kind of confusing. I did find the adjustments and found plastic caps on them but I can see the screws inside. This is what I will attempt tonight, I just hope I did not mess up something already.

Not knowing how to tune a saw and buying one online sounds scary to me. Hopefully, it's something minor. May need some warranty work though.

My ignorance WAS truly bliss. I could not tell you where to adjust my 630 I have had for over 20 years. It just ran without fail. I assumed that huge improvements had been made over the years with these saws. How could a factory set carb with limiters alow damage at 7,000 feet by running to lean?

Not knowing how to tune a saw and buying one online sounds scary to me. Hopefully, it's something minor. May need some warranty work though.

You would be very suprised at how many people unknowingly buy a new chainsaw and don`t realize that they need the carb setup properly. They figure its a new saw and it is ready to go cut. Well I have seen a good many ruined on its first tank of fuel and I don`t count the straight gased ones that had the mix oil in the bar oil tank.

If all you were doing is limbing it's most likely fine, it's the long hard cuts that will burn them up if set lean. When you pull the trigger and it wants too dies the low is too lean, open it up untill throttle responce is good. On the high open it up untill the saw slow down when held wide open for a couple of seconds, then go out to the woodpile and gradually turn the high in untill it cuts the fastest. If you get to lean it will bog easy and rev high when held wide open. There are some saw tuning vids on here that are worth watching, everyone that runs a saw needs to be able to tune them for different temps, gas and alitude. Steve

My ignorance WAS truly bliss. I could not tell you where to adjust my 630 I have had for over 20 years. It just ran without fail. I assumed that huge improvements had been made over the years with these saws. How could a factory set carb with limiters alow damage at 7,000 feet by running to lean?

The EPA have regulated the saw manufacturers to set the saws very lean to pass strict emissions standards. A good dealer knows this and will reset the carb a little richer to prevent damage to the P&C, they don`t want you bringing back a damaged saw.
Your older 630 was not setup so lean back in its day it was set much richer from the get go and a person could get by without resetting it for years.

Thanks guys, I will try to get this resolved this evening. I hope to get rid of this sick feeling. This saw has 2009 on it, was the carb issues resolved by this time? I had read something about walbro vs zuma somewhere. I will also do a search on the videos. Thanks

The advice on pulling the muffler is sound. If you see streaking (don't worry if there are oil streaks) on the piston, stop running it and come back here with some pics.

I am not sure where you stand with having a warranty. If you don't have one and you are comfortable with tuning, I would take a sheetrock screw and remove the limiters. Then re-tune it. Keep in mind that your saw probably has a limited coil and that the engine bouncing off the limiter can be confused with the "four stroke" sound.

Alternatively, it sounds like you might need to crawl up to the counter of your local Husky or Jred dealer and apologize for not spending the extra money with them when you bought the saw. Then ask them to tune it and promise to buy all of your chains and oil from them from now on.

Last edited:
The advice on pulling the muffler is sound. If you see streaking (don't worry if there are oil streaks) on the piston, stop running it and come back here with some pics.

I am not sure where you stand with having a warranty. If you don't have one and you are comfortable with tuning, I would take a sheetrock screw and remove the limiters. Then re-tune it. Keep in mind that your saw probably has a limited coil and that the enging bouncing off the limiter can be confused with the "four stroke" sound.

Alternatively, it sounds like you might need to crawl up to the counter of your local Husky or Jred dealer and apologize for not spending the extra money with them when you bought the saw. Then ask them to tune it and promise to buy all of your chains and oil from them from now on.

I used to do everything locally, but they are all gone. Since the enviros. took over this state it is closed to natural resource extraction of every flavor. For me it is a day off work and a 200 mile trip to a dealer. I never would have thought I would be doing business online a couple years ago but I have had to get creative to survive here.

For me it is a day off work and a 200 mile trip to a dealer. I never would have thought I would be doing business online a couple years ago but I have had to get creative to survive here.

That makes sense......let us know how we can help.

I would pull the muffler and post some pics. We can go from there. Getting rid of the limiters on the carb is also a good idea and easy enough to do.

I am going to hope all is well, it would not be the first time it cost me more trying to save a little.

That makes sense......let us know how we can help.

I would pull the muffler and post some pics. We can go from there. Getting rid of the limiters on the carb is also a good idea and easy enough to do.

Should I do this before trying to tune the saw?

Latest posts

Back