New saw..... sort of.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unc I see it says 38, read the epa label and see what it is.

OK, saw says 38cc, EPA says 42.

I've got the spline tool, but as long as I'm fiddling with the screws I might as well make slots. It'll be a while before I even fire this thing up but I'm looking forward to doing the muffler mod even though I don't really know what I'm doing. Do I make the slots or holes underneath the spark screen, or can they go anywhere?

Trying to remember how that ones muffler is, on all the other poulans I take the two halves apart there is a metal block on the inside, two 1/2 inch holes in each side of the metal block. Then for the outlet your imagination is the limiting factor. Over in chainsaw there are a couple threads on modding mufflers with plenty of pics to give you some ideas.

I did the muffler mod today. I think I did all right. I didn't drill holes straight through, but as I look into the back of the muffler, there were holes on the sides already - I just added a couple more to each side. I then drilled a few more holes under the area of the spark screen. Not sure if I adjusted the carb correctly, but it seems to run fine now.
I didn't see any limiters on the screws.
IMG_8883.JPG

I did the muffler mod today. I think I did all right. I didn't drill holes straight through, but as I look into the back of the muffler, there were holes on the sides already - I just added a couple more to each side. I then drilled a few more holes under the area of the spark screen. Not sure if I adjusted the carb correctly, but it seems to run fine now.
I didn't see any limiters on the screws.
View attachment 385942
next thing yah know,, youll be modding saws for people.........................................:D:D:D

The splined heads are nice if you have the tool. It stays in place while the saw is running making adjustments.

I had one of those small poulan's and found that a narrow kerf -low vibration chain really made a difference. The bigger the bite that chain takes on a small saw, the more vibration it creates. JMO

Spent some time at the gym today. Man, that saw vibrates like a jackhammer! No wonder it was so darn cheap. 2 minutes of working with it left my hands tingling. I expected low quality, but I did expect a smoother ride than that. :angry:

It's a rigid saw, no antivibe to it. There's cheap small poulans *with* antivibe all day long, just about every CL area out there. They weigh more though, that's the tradeoff. I think my s25cva is the best of both worlds poulan wise for a small saw, cheap to find used, beaucoup power, good antivibe to it, all pro mag construction, still under ten pounds a bit.

I have some of the more modern ones that are rigid, about one tank is all I want to use them. They do start and run and cut well, though.

Spent some time at the gym today. Man, that saw vibrates like a jackhammer! No wonder it was so darn cheap. 2 minutes of working with it left my hands tingling. I expected low quality, but I did expect a smoother ride than that. :angry:
Thats why i never use my craftsman even though it runs great. I like to be able to keep my soup on the spoon at dinner time!

Y'all are just some spoiled saw snobs! LOL. Unc, I got rid of that stock chain and bought a couple loops of Oregons VXL (or was it VLX?) Can't remember the letter order right off the top of my head but I remember that chain making a difference in vibration reduction. BTW, what thread of yours was getting rowdy? And did it get deleted, or just locked up?

I really like the little Poulans, but I will never run one without A/V again. It isn't a quality issue as they make them both with and without A/V.

Mine's A/V. I wouldn't last long without it. I'm using VXL chain and love it. I tried some Woodland Pro chain with some success, too.

There is nothing like a case of white finger disease to ruin your later years just to save a few bucks on chainsaws!

Have at it. If running my silky smooth 362 is snobbery, please pass the grey poupon!

362's are nice. I've got 2 friends that have that model and I never turn down a chance to run it when they offer it up. You did realize I was joking back there, right? I've got an old burgundy 4218 I've had for years and years and trust me when I say I love that saw, but after running all my other saws with a/v, it's tough to pick that one back up. I wouldn't be surprised if poulan eventually did away with their solid chassis saws at some point.

Have at it. If running my silky smooth 362 is snobbery, please pass the grey poupon!
My 42cc Craftsman/Poulan is silky smooth too.

I wouldn't be surprised if poulan eventually did away with their solid chassis saws at some point.
They are fine for a homeowner who wants to trim a branch now and then. They've had A/V versions all along for those of us that want it.

My 42cc Craftsman/Poulan is silky smooth too.

They are fine for a homeowner who wants to trim a branch now and then. They've had A/V versions all along for those of us that want it.

I can't remember seeing the a/v 4218's until maybe like 5 years ago. I remember seeing them in Lowe's and Home Depot and thinking, "dam, should've gotten that instead". The one thing I didn't like when I picked one of them up is the mushy feeling that the trigger had. After inspecting it for a bit I realized they had a small cable running to the carb instead of the steel bar on mine. Not a deal breaker by any means, just felt weird.

I can't remember seeing the a/v 4218's until maybe like 5 years ago. I remember seeing them in Lowe's and Home Depot and thinking, "dam, should've gotten that instead". The one thing I didn't like when I picked one of them up is the mushy feeling that the trigger had. After inspecting it for a bit I realized they had a small cable running to the carb instead of the steel bar on mine. Not a deal breaker by any means, just felt weird.
The first saw I had was a non-A/V Craftsman (basically a Wild Thing). I used it a lot and often got numb hands but didn't know better. I was used to the direct feel though, and when I got one with A/V it allowed a lot of movement and I didn't like that at first. But then I grew to like how smooth it was.

The cable throttle seems fine to me though - you're gonna hold it wide open anyway!

The cable throttle seems fine to me though - you're gonna hold it wide open anyway!

I picked up a 2nd PP3216AV that hadn't been used in a couple of years. Along with cleaning the carb and replacing the chain I had to get some dry lube for the cable because the throttle would stick open. Now I'm going to make it regular maintenance to spray both saws before storing in the winter.

Back