new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all stihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am considering buying an ms362 with a 20 inch bar and a 25 inch bar. Is this a good combination or should I say good choice? Any thoughts on this??

Got a 20" on mine. If buried in hardwood that 25" might be a little much IMO. I grab the 76'er for 25"

A 25" bar would be good for limbing if you're 6'2". You wouldn't have to bend over AT ALL!!! Otherwise the 20" works just fine for the 362.

I run a 20" on mine and I think that is the sweet spot. I am sure it would pull a 25" in a pinch. I have never tried because I have a stable of bigger saws if one is needed

A broken in 362 will pull a 25" bar fine. It'll pull a 20" with a little more authority but it'll pull a 25 if need be. No need for skip tooth chain.

Mine came with a 25" that I ran for one season of firewood cutting, it now wears a 20" and is much nicer to handle. Not as nose heavy, lost a little weight overall and pulls much better. I miss the 25" for limbing and the extra reach on little wood, my bad back doesnt like to bend over. When it was wearing the 25" I would run full chisel skip just because.

A sad story, those saws are best off with 16 to 18" bars..:msp_rolleyes:

Yea you probably wouldn't even be able to lift it with a 20" bar, right?

The 362 is fine with an 18, 20, or 25. Stihl sells it that way. If you're getting two bars though, why not an 18 and a 25? That way if sawtroll ever came to cut with you, you could put the 18" bar on so he could pick it up off the ground.

A sad story, those saws are best off with 16 to 18" bars..:msp_rolleyes:

Just ignore the post above, just ask him how much run time he has with a 362, the 362 will do an excellent job with a 20", I've ran my 361 with a 7 pin and 20" and it does fines and it's not as strong as a 362. For occasional use the 362 will handle a 25" but will do better day in and day out with a 20". The 362 is a proven design and is an excellent all around firewood/general purpose saw. You'll learn the longer your on here some people just can't help themselves from brand bashing Stihl no matter what the post. Husky also makes some excellent saws in this size range, just depends on dealer support you have and if you want to support America made products vs products mfg'd offshore. The 362 is made in VA Beach VA.

It isn't about what the saw is strong enough for (lots of variables there), it's a matter of balance and handling qualities. A 16" and a 20" bar makes sence, only use the longer ones when you really need them! :msp_wink:

It isn't about what the saw is strong enough for (lots of variables there), it's a matter of balance and handling qualities. A 16" and a 20" bar makes sence, only use the longer ones when you really need them! :msp_wink:

and just how the hell would you know? :msp_rolleyes:

lots of run time you have sitting in the house healling your back and hip and shoulders...

Do you ever get tired of hearing your self talk about stuff you have NO IDEA about??

Latest posts

Back