New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mupton

Reaction score
Hey guys, been lurking around for a while. I am new to this site. I have a couple of questions. I have a 670 Champ that I got off a row crew at our electric co-op. This has been a good saw. It has a new jug and piston. It has new anti-vibe mounts. All-in-all a good saw. It has started leaking oil from the area where oil goes into the bar. Can't figure this one out. The saw is starting to get old, and I'm having a hard time finding parts for it in this area. I was looking for a comparable saw to replace this one. Maybe a 372XP or a 357XP. What do y'all suggest? I know this has been asked 100 times, but I'm just curious. I use it mainly to cut oak firewood, sometimes live oak, and every now and then pine. Do you think the 372XP is just too big? I could get the 372XP, but the price is pretty high. The power is good on the saw because a lot of times the trees I cut are 20 inches or bigger - most live oaks are pretty big. Just wondering. Should I keep the 670 and deal with the parts problem? Or should I just get another saw? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If ya wanna get rid of the 670, I'm into em. love havin em since I've got one of my own, but 2 would be awesome. As for a saw, the models mentioned earlier are good, same for an MS440, or 460. those are also very good for your purpose.

The 372xp will give you a bit more power at about the same weight as the 670.

The Dolmar 7900/ Makita 7901 will give you a lot more power for the same weight.

Take your pick - dealer support may be the decisive point!

Last edited:
Jonserd 670 is an excellent saw.Keep it if you can find parts in your area,she can handle the job.Remember that parts form Husky 268-272(brake,top cover and cylinder are different but replaceable by Husky equivalent) will fit on 90% of the time,so if you got Huky dealer close,you are Ok.But if you decide to make a move,the 372 is probably the best bet compared to 357 mainly due to hp difference and weight,but the 357 is a great saw also.

Mupton, welcome aboard, and send the 670 it to me. Seriously.

All joking aside, there are several threads here that give sources for obsolete Jred parts. If you pursue repairing/replacing the oiler, I think that the part is common to several Jred models, but I've been wrong before. If you go new, the 2171 is the Jred version of the Husky 372xp.---Chris J.

Latest posts

Back