New splitter and son

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92utownxh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, after all the great reviews on here I finally purchased a 22 ton Dirty Hand Tools splitter from Lowe's. A couple weeks ago I took my wife and 2 boys down to our field edge to finish splitting some huge knotty red oak with my fiskars. My wife couldn't believe what it took to hand split everything. She said I need a splitter.

So Saturday went to lowes and they had a display one makes down a couple hundred dollars. I love it! It's makes things so easy and quick. I've already split a couple cords in no time.

Another reason we finally decided to go ahead with it is my wife's midwife offered to barter some firewood for her services. My wife ended up having our 3rd boy Sunday night at home with the midwife. Things went perfectly and only an hour and a half labor. Everyone is doing well. Tired though. I'm helping my wife and taking care of our 18 month old and 6 year old. And all the animals. I'm sitting on the couch with the 18 month old watching a show on log cabins on natgeo drinking coffee. About to start pot number 2. We took the 6 year old to school and mom and baby are sleeping. Off work for a couple weeks. It's a bit crazy with a new baby and toddler.

Attachments

• 20160103_144716.jpg
    20160103_144716.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 117
Congratulations!! Sounds like your living the dream. I hope you guys aren't too flooded out down there.

Congrats on the new son and give that little buddy standing by the splitter a big hug for me.. Talk about being cute... Enjoy them while you can because they grow up fast..

Thanks everyone. It's getting better having another little one in the house. It's taking a bit to get a routine and figure some things out. Today I was able to do some work outside the house for a bit and also use the splitter.

The midwife is the the one brought up bartering and firewood since she knows we heat with wood and have land. We're paying for just part of it. She said 4 to 6 rick of wood at $60 each. So just over a cord to 2 cords. That will knock off $240 to $360 off the total. Works for me since I enjoy it. Thats the going rate for good hardwood here. Today she mentioned getting some hay and straw too.

Our oldest boy loves doing firewood. He's very excited about the splitter. My mom's been helping with the boys and sat with our 17 month old watching me split a bit today. He loves being outside with me. Helps me push a wheel barrow too.

Congrats on the baby and splitter! Glad everything went well. We tried for a home birth, but the midwife decided we should go to the hospital. Besides, IL is really bad for midwives and home births. What a pain. Glad all is well, now post some pics of the little guy (AFTER he's been washed, please!)

Latest posts

Back