New Splitter Finally Arrived

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplemeister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been patiently waiting for the past 6 weeks and finally got to go pick up my new splitter yesterday. It's an American CLS AM 25HH with the Honda
8Hp Gx engine, wedge backer, fender package, 13" highway tires, 16 gal.per
min. pump, 24"x4"x2" cylinder, 4 way wedge option, log cradle, and extended tongue for easier maneuvering of the splitter when backing up, and a 10 second cycle time per the manufacturer.
I was chomping at the bit to fire her up when I got her home from the dealer but restrained myself and read all the paperwork first to make sure I was doing everything right. Then I put her on a cord of Beech blocks that I had cut green back in October. I just worked it slow but steady and took my time getting used to the machine as I went. I split all the straight grain stuff with the 4 way and it performed nicely. I went to the single wedge for the gnarly stuff and that worked well also. It took me 2.5 hrs to split the entire
cord working by myself and not busting butt. Today we had snow in the forecast for the pm so I got out this morning and split a face cord of mixed beech and maple that was blocked up and waiting as well. Honda started on first pull and performed flawlessly.
My initial impression is that this machine is as good as the Timberwolf equivalent but a good deal less expensive. Timberwolf is a great splitter but I just couldn't justify the price difference when comparing the two side by side. I also found the working height to be ideal for me with the 13" tires.
Haven't split a full two cords yet but so far I am very pleased with this splitter. I have enclosed some pics of the splitter and my current wood supply.

Maplemeister

Congrats

Glad to hear the positive feedback on the American. The 24HH is on my short list. I really like the way they do the wedge backer with the 4-way option.

Hopefully I get my truck back this week and can finally pick something up.

Take Care

wow i cant believe how much some splitters cost. talk about a markup!

I know what you mean 455 believe me. I did a lot of research before purchasing this unit and decided I wanted a quality splitter that could take some serious use and had the features I felt I needed and yes, wanted as well. It seemed to me that after you left the Speeco line the next stop was somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500.00 for a solid unit without any extras. I spent $800.00 more but had the machine custom built by American with all the features I wanted. I have always tended to buy the best I could afford at the time and so far have never regretted it. Only time will tell if I made a wise decision this time or not.

Regards,

Maplemeister

Congrats

Glad to hear the positive feedback on the American. The 24HH is on my short list. I really like the way they do the wedge backer with the 4-way option.

Hopefully I get my truck back this week and can finally pick something up.

Take Care

Swamp Yankee:

I considered the 24HH myself but ended up going for the larger pump and shorter cycle time. I am just getting into firewood sales this year and figured it wouldn't hurt to go with the heavier unit.

Regards,
Maplemeister

Looks nice, long tongue for easy manuevering with tow vehicle.

How much would a log lift option have cost?

I know what you mean 455 believe me. I did a lot of research before purchasing this unit and decided I wanted a quality splitter that could take some serious use and had the features I felt I needed and yes, wanted as well. It seemed to me that after you left the Speeco line the next stop was somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500.00 for a solid unit without any extras. I spent $800.00 more but had the machine custom built by American with all the features I wanted. I have always tended to buy the best I could afford at the time and so far have never regretted it. Only time will tell if I made a wise decision this time or not.

Regards,

Maplemeister

i agree with you get what you pay for to a point. i have a cheap splitter by most standards. ive done a fair bit of modding to it to get it to where i like it. i have maybe 1k into it total. knowing what i know now i would really like to build my own from scratch. i would think i could make one super ass mean splitter and a great price if i actually went through with it.

Hello Mike,

The longer tongue was an option I definitely wanted. The standard tongue is way to short to back up with without jackknifing constantly. This splitter rides low enough behind my Dodge so I can open the back of the cap and watch what I am doing as I back up without the splitter coming into contact with the vehicle.

As far as the price on the loglift goes I cannot give you an exact quote as it wasn't on my must have list at the moment but it seems like I recall a figure somewhere around three hundred and change. I have the option of adding it
on when I get to old to hump the blocks anymore but most of the stuff I get now does not exceed 24" or so.

Regards,

Maplemeister

i agree with you get what you pay for to a point. i have a cheap splitter by most standards. ive done a fair bit of modding to it to get it to where i like it. i have maybe 1k into it total. knowing what i know now i would really like to build my own from scratch. i would think i could make one super ass mean splitter and a great price if i actually went through with it.

455:

I would have loved to go down that road myself but truth be told, I just don't have the mechanical skills to pull it off. Apparently you do, so I would say go for it. Prices today are crazy on so many things. I just got back from deer hunting in Maine and had to purchase a box of 30-06 shells at the local store. The price was $23.95. The last box I got was $13.95 a just a couple of years back. It's definitely getting tougher to get by.

Regards,
Maplemeister

New to site and love it

Hello I am new to this site. All this talk of chainsaws and splitters, I can hardly take it. This is a GREAT SITE. I my self have a outside boiler and have had if for three years. Needless to say I split a lot of wood. I own a Husqvarna 359 pre e teck, and a 288 xp lite i bought used. Both are great saws, the 288 has a 24 inch bar and not much will slow it down, the 359 has a 20 in. bar.
My brother-in-law and I actualy built a splitter two years ago. mostly from salvaged material, less the pump and cylinder. 28 gpm two stage pump and a 5x30x2.5 price cylinder. not much it wont split. I had a used 13 horse brigs engin off an old lawn mower that we used to power it. We also fabed a boom lift so no more bending over to pick up logs or spliting them on the ground. :)

Congrats on the new splitter..!!!! Very nice for sure.!!!! I'd LOVE to have a nice splitter like that one.....well, ok....I'd like to have a powered splitter period.....meaning something much better than a sledge hammer, wedges, a couple of splitting mauls, and a 2 pound hammer. I usually rent a splitter every year instead of owning one. Been ok so far, but I've also priced parts to build my own. Everything except for the steel for the whole setup and wheels would run my just over $1300 (28GPM pump, 8HP Honda engine, 2" x 4" x 24" cylinder, dual control valves for splitter and log lift, and lastly the small cyclinder for the log lift setup. The $1300 does not include an oil tank, hoses, connectors, or any of the steel to build the splitter out of.

The way I figure it....is that I can buy one cheaper than I can build one, providing I have to purchase everything new (including the steel) and then pay a buddy to weld it up for me. I used to arc weld many years ago, but I don't own a welder now and would have to get back in the practice of welding again.

Dennis:

Thanks for the comments. This is my first powered splitter and hopefully my last. I also went the rental route for years now but finally decided it was time to take the plunge. I have burnt wood for the past thirty years and plan to continue until they put me under so I like the idea of having a splitter on hand that I can make use of year around at my convenience and maybe make a few bucks on the side as well.

Regards,
Maplemeister

Back