New splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Scrounge

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well my 20 year old splitter MTD 20 ton splitter finally died, actually I was a 1/3 owner (cousin, brother and myself) . The thing had a lot of problems so I decided to buy a new one and since my brother lets me take as much wood as I want and my cousin put in a new walk in at my house I decided I would foot the bill. I searched around and decided on a Huskee 27 ton from the TSC since it seemed to have good reviews for the price. It has a Honda engine which I hope holds up (not a lot of confidence in Honda small engines). I am going to wait and surprise my bro and cuz at Thanksgiving dinner.

nice

I got one but with the bs. engine .the honda is bullet proof just get a new plug for it for when it wont start ,it's a common problem and it wont give you any woarning.

Nice gesture Wood Scrounge.

My next door neighbor bought an MTD about 5 years ago and when he brought it home, came over and said, "come on over and see what I bought us." I split a lot by hand, but have used it quite a bit over the last few years. A couple years ago I bought a new snowblower that I got an excellent deal on. I gave my JD 726 that runs real good to the neighbor because his blower just died. It's nice to be able to help one another out.
Another thing to be grateful for, good neighbors.
Happy thanksgiving,

Kevin

Wood,

why are there questions concerning Honda engines? There GX line, I thought, were of the best quality.

I bought the Huskee 35 ton splitter and love it. That sucker will pop anything. I would advise you to go on Flea Bay and buy a work table for it. Some guy sells them under "log splitter back saver". It is.

why are there questions concerning Honda engines? There GX line, I thought, were of the best quality.

The B&S in the MTD was ran hard and put away wet and until this problem it never really had an issue, it's been close to 20 years (I think). The Honda in my snow blower was a nightmare. But I know sometimes you just get a lemon. I hope your right about the quality you probably are everyone agrees that the engine is great.

The B&S in the MTD was ran hard and put away wet and until this problem it never really had an issue, it's been close to 20 years (I think). The Honda in my snow blower was a nightmare. But I know sometimes you just get a lemon. I hope your right about the quality you probably are everyone agrees that the engine is great.

I can vouch for them. I have 3, 2 mowers and a tiller. My oldest (and most used) mower is 5.5 hp on a walkbehind self prop. Used it to take care of 1 1/2 acres for years which included chopping up ripe wheat (I planted winter wheat in 1/2 of the garden and let it go to seed each year tilling in the entire thing after chopping). That one is approaching 25 years old. I wore the rubbers off the wheels twice, replaced 1 clutch cable, one sparkplug and a fuel filter. It now smokes like a lawn fogger when first starte but that clears when a load is applied. Still starts 1st pull every time...well, it does like to sit in the sun a bit for the first time out of the shed in the spring.

Harry K

I have had this splitter now for 2 months it only has ~50 hours on it and the engine is running like crap. Barely idles and the throttle seems to pulse when running at speed. THis Honda engine worries me, I am getting ready to adjust the carb but I am doubtful that it can be adjusted enough to over come this problem.:cry:

I have had this splitter now for 2 months it only has ~50 hours on it and the engine is running like crap. Barely idles and the throttle seems to pulse when running at speed. THis Honda engine worries me, I am getting ready to adjust the carb but I am doubtful that it can be adjusted enough to over come this problem.:cry:

I wish I would have seen your first post earlier, I would have tried to steer you clear of this splitter. I sold them at TSC for 3 or 4 years and they all came back with engine problems, every single one we sold came back, and for engine problems. We ended up not carrying them in our store because of all the problems. You would have been better off with the 22 ton with the Briggs. I would try to take it back, they might replace it. If they don't get the engine fixed while it is still under warranty. Most of the ones we had fixed had some sort of defect in the cylinder, can't remember exactly what though. The 22 ton will split anything the 27 will and last longer in my opinion. I put hundreds of them together and only had problems with the 27 tons.

I wish I would have seen your first post earlier, I would have tried to steer you clear of this splitter. I sold them at TSC for 3 or 4 years and they all came back with engine problems, every single one we sold came back, and for engine problems. We ended up not carrying them in our store because of all the problems. You would have been better off with the 22 ton with the Briggs. I would try to take it back, they might replace it. If they don't get the engine fixed while it is still under warranty. Most of the ones we had fixed had some sort of defect in the cylinder, can't remember exactly what though. The 22 ton will split anything the 27 will and last longer in my opinion. I put hundreds of them together and only had problems with the 27 tons.

This is my second bad experience with Honda engines, I am done with them.

My neighbor had a pulsing lawn mower that was tres annoying.
It turned out the air filter was clogged.
At least I think it was the air filter, maybe the fuel filter, but I don't think they usually have them, do they?

I'm taking it back tonight the new 27 ton has a Briggs engine just worried that it's a Chinese Briggs; Anyone know?

Doesn't really matter, still better than the Honda. Honda has whored themselves out to make a profit off of cheap engines, just as long as they put "Honda" on it.

Good luck with the new one. If they give you grief tell them you want to talk to the district manager. They have to give you his number, and usually will get things square with you.

If you have any problems in the future with the splitters let me know, I know them inside and out.

All briggs are now made in China except for the V twin models btw Tecumseh is now owned by briggs. Oh and for all of you looking into a new Stihl saw your carbs are made in China due to the "massive" cost to make them domestically.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back