New splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honda

The Honda engine that comes on the Husky is not the GX commerical series(all black in color). It's a lesser made engine( maybe from China, I don't know). I've had a chipper/shredder with the red and white commerical 8 horse Honda with only a dirty carb in 10 years of service.

Honda Engines

Maybe it is the GX engines, thats about all I have, but I swear by the Honda Engines! Never had ONE with a problem! They are the quietest, most reliable engines I have ever operated. The 70's and 80's all I had were Briggs and one or two Techum. They ran good, but loud. Started to have problems with them in the 90's Thats when we discovered the Honda Engines.

I hope they are not going the way of Briggs.

Funniest thing I have seen was a Japanese product that said, Made in China! :laugh:

You can't think in terms of "all Hondas" or "all Briggs" being good or bad.

The good Hondas, the red and white ones, are by far the best engines out there. The cheap Hondas, the black ones, are garbage.

Briggs also has different engine families of varying quality.

Which one you ought to have on your splitter depends on your needs. If a splitter is going to be a commercial or rental unit, then the good Honda is the only way to go. But for personal use, I'd go with the Briggs. The inteks start just about as easy as the Honda, and easily better than the cheap Honda. I have the old style Briggs, on my cheap MTD 20 ton. It's not even an IC/sleaved engine, and it's 8 years old. No it won't last as long as the better Honda, but I don't need it to. If you are just splitting your own wood, you simply aren't going to put that many hours on the thing. I can do an awful lot of splitting on a single tank of gas.

I don't like the Tecumseh engine on spiltters. They don't seem to start as easy as their snow engines, and the carb/air filter with that 3" choke lever is too susceptible to being damaged by a chunk of wood falling on it. BTW, Tecumseh is not owned by Briggs. Their engine division was recently bought by some investment group and will likely be purchased by some other Equipment OEM.

The best longest lasting engine is from either GM or Ford in the V6 to V8 sizes which will power any splitter you can dream up :chainsawguy:

Well I was able to get the carb adjusted so that it would idle and run fine. I ran up to TSC to look at the ones with the Briggs and they felt and sounded even cheaper. This just stinks that you can't get a decent splitter for $1000. My old MTD was 20 years old and the engine ran fine the entire time. I only retired it because the pump went and it needed to be completely rehosed, I guess the motor was starting to blow oil too.
A $1000 splitter should be able to last 20 years for a homeowner running about 8 – 10 cord/year through it.

Don't expect the same quality out of a $1000 machine as you did out of a $800 one you bought 20 years ago.

I'm in the process of buying a splitter myself. I looked at the TSC Huskee's and thought they looked cheesey. See my thread below.

I'm leaning toward Iron and Oak,Wellenstein, Timberwolf or Spliteeze.

If you don't like the motor now, just wait till the hydraulics give yoou problems.

Good luck

No I don't own one but I know what people have told me and I wouldn't trust anything like that from harbor freight due to there track record with other items.

I don't know why the hate for HF.
I have the same model, the 91840.
I've done about 6 cords or so with it.
The cylinder had a pretty bad leak that pretty much went away.
HF sent a new cylinder which I haven't installed yet.
It took a long time to come, so that's why I continued to use it with a pan underneath.

It seems pretty well built and I love the Robin engine.

I wonder what the story is on the eBay seller though.
It's new? Why isn't HF selling it?
It cost me a grand a year ago.

Wallenstein can be found at www.embmfg.com.

They seem like a well made unit Honda GX motors. I have a farm implement store near me who recomends them. I don't like the hitch location on the vertical one, and the bed height is to low for me. Nothing I can't fix.

I'm trying to buy local, but am having a hard time finding good splitters in stock. The Timberwolf dealer wants $380 over list. I don't mind paying a little extra, but I don't want to make the guys boat payment

I decided to keep the splitter, I forgot I have a cousin that does small engine repair. He says that I should beable to get 4-5 years outta that gcs engine and when it give out he will get me a GX.

Woodscrounge,

I got the 22 ton Huskee about a week ago. It came what appears to be a really cheap Briggs. So far it runs really well and starts on one pull hot or cold.

The manual said to change the oil after five hours which I did yesterday. I did not like the color at all. Frankly, it looked metallic and that cant be good.

Otherwise, so far so good. The 22 ton has split all the nasty knotty oak and locust I've thrown at it.

JD in Southern Chester County

Back