New Stihl 036 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3/8x8 for small 7-spline?

glens said:
.......... I'm not currently interested enough in finding that out to get (if I can) a 3/8-8 for the 036.&nbsp.............. Glen
I doubt that you could, not easily at least. As far as I know, the 036 has the same spline as the 262xp. A while ago I started a tread, hoping that someone knew how to get a 3/8x8 for the 262xp, but with little luck.......http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=19328&highlight=262%2A+3%2F8%2A

Edit;
I have later found out that large 7-spline cluches for the 036 are easily obtainable from Stihl, and at some point became standard on some versions.

Last edited:
I have decided to get an 3/8" .050 18" bar and chain combo. This saw will probably rip through hardwoods like butter. The store I bought the other combo at took it back no problems.

ccicora said:
Justin, Have you ported the muffler on that 029? It makes it into a new saw with a muffler port job.
Could you please elaborate on what constitutes 'muffler porting'? I've got a 029 and wouldn't mind a bit more performance.
Thanks, John.....

Use the search function with the words "muffler mods" and you'll find several days worth of reading.

That sort of worked

oldsaw-addict said:
Use the search function with the words "muffler mods" and you'll find several days worth of reading.

I tried that, and you're right, there was plenty to read. Thanks. I think I'll try opening up the face a bit and maybe fab up a larger deflector or just try running without it. For now my old 028AV and the 029 are my 'big saws' as long as you don't count my old Sears monsters.
Thanks Again, John............

Good decison, I think.

bigair said:
I have decided to get an 3/8" .050 18" bar and chain combo.
I made about the same decision a while ago. ;)
However, I have trouble getting what I want over here, as even Oregon wants to sell .063 only in 3/8" for Stihl..................... :angry:
Even chain in .050 is not readily availiable.........:angry2:

SawTroll said:
I doubt that you could, not easily at least. As far as I know, the 036 has the same spline as the 262xp. A while ago I started a tread, hoping that someone knew how to get a 3/8x8 for the 262xp, but with little luck.......http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=19328&highlight=262%2A+3%2F8%2A

While I'm not arguing about the small spline 8T rim. I am arguing about the 036 being the same as the 262. I thought it was posted early on in the thread that the 036 used the large spline rim, same as up to 066.

The small spline husky is not the same as the small spline stihl. Both stihl and husky use the same large splines, but a small stihl spline will not fit a small spline husky. Been there, tried that on the way to the woods. Stop by the Stihl dealeship and got a "small spine 7T rim for my 55 Rancher. Got to the site and the rim would not fit. Went back to the dealer and told him, He didn't know there was more than one small spline. Neither did I....

Steve

ccicora said:
Stihl a drum off an 044 and put it on your 036... Just a trick to try...

Don't do it... The drum are different depths so the 044 drum pushes the oil pump drive wire into the pump housing... Put both on a flat surface and compare the heights... you'll see what I mean.

Just put on the later 036 drum kit with the large bearing (same bearing as 044).

Freakingstang said:
While I'm not arguing about the small spline 8T rim. I am arguing about the 036 being the same as the 262. I thought it was posted early on in the thread that the 036 used the large spline rim, same as up to 066. Steve
Remember that this tread is a year old, and most of us have learned a thing or two during that time. Othervise there would be little point in beeing at these forums.
One of the things that I have learned, is that the 036 were sold with both the small and the larger spline, at different times and different markets.:)
Freakingstang said:
The small spline husky is not the same as the small spline stihl. Both stihl and husky use the same large splines, but a small stihl spline will not fit a small spline husky. Been there, tried that on the way to the woods. Stop by the Stihl dealeship and got a "small spine 7T rim for my 55 Rancher.
I have also learned that the hard way - on a 024 I worked on for a friend.:jawdrop:
However, I don't think the small spline used on some of the mid-size Stihls (036, 029 etc) are the same as the mini-spline used on the 024, 026 etc.
Stihl use at least one spline size more than the others, just to confuse us. :censored:

Latest posts

Back