New Stihl 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cre10

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok ok you guys are right, there is a huge huge huge difference in pro series versus homeowner.

I got my 261 last week with an 18" bar. It starts up perfect. I like the way the top cover clicks in with the scrench and I like the air filter.

Saturday I ran 6 tanks of fuel through it to break her in.

20121205_090504.jpg

20121209_115735.jpg

20121208_120958.jpg

20121209_131952.jpg

20121209_161358.jpg

Are you SURE you didn't have any trouble starting it?:monkey:

It looks like you cut and split a lot of wood.:bowdown: Did ya cut the dog's right ear off too?:msp_confused:

Are you SURE you didn't have any trouble starting it?:monkey:

It looks like you cut and split a lot of wood.:bowdown: Did ya cut the dog's right ear off too?:msp_confused:

That's what he gets for not wearing the proper safety gear :laugh: Actually I make him stay in the truck for safety. I learned that I can't leave the window down either. A couple months ago he jumped out and came running to me right as a tree was going down. It was far too close for comfort and really scared me.

Congrats on the new saw, and that's a mighty fine view from behind the grapple bucket. Does this mean that your mighty FARM BOSS has been de-throned?

Congrats on the new saw, and that's a mighty fine view from behind the grapple bucket. Does this mean that your mighty FARM BOSS has been de-throned?
I honestly never cared for it too much. It's always been heavy in my opinion so I used smaller saws whenever I got a chance. Now that I've felt the power of the 261 I would like to try a bigger saw just to see what it's like and would love to compare the 261 with the 550xp.

It looks like you were busy. 6 tanks seems like it should have been 4 hours of constant cutting.:chainsaw: I'm gettin hot and tired just thinkin' about that....where's the beer cooler?:givebeer: Did you leave the stumps high so you could push 'em over?

If the 261 is anything like the 026 or 260 it's definately a good saw. I have "gotten by" with a stock 260 and a 16" bar for about 10 years cutting firewood. I read on this board that the 261 smokes a 260 so you should be good to go:msp_smile:

It looks like you were busy. 6 tanks seems like it should have been 4 hours of constant cutting.:chainsaw: I'm gettin hot and tired just thinkin' about that....where's the beer cooler?:givebeer: Did you leave the stumps high so you could push 'em over?
Sunday I was a little sore and tired to be honest lol. I left the stumps up so I can hit them with the tree saw and have a buddy hit them with Remedy to kill the stumps right after I cut them. I didn't want to run a new chain in the ground, lose stumps, or worry about trying to spray them since I was by myself. Those stumps get hard to find when you cut out so many at one time and locust grows like crazy if you don't get it sprayed.

20120724_133807.jpg

I honestly never cared for it too much. It's always been heavy in my opinion so I used smaller saws whenever I got a chance. Now that I've felt the power of the 261 I would like to try a bigger saw just to see what it's like and would love to compare the 261 with the 550xp.

Yeah, CAD will get worse when a strong 70 cc saw yanks you into a log for the first time. A strong saw in the hand is a wonderful feeling!

You may have well put 6 tanks of gas through it, but I got news for you, it isn't broken in yet....just wait.:msp_smile: Congrats.

Nice pics.

You mean you didn't just start it in the garage a couple times? Congrats man, nice saw. You are well on your way to a proper break in. Cheers.

You mean you didn't just start it in the garage a couple times? Congrats man, nice saw. You are well on your way to a proper break in. Cheers.

Actually I picked it up before work at 7am and cut a tree down outside my office that morning :rock:

I'd advise against doing such a comparison if you own a new MS261 - just enjoy the saw as what it is! ;)

Congratulations on purchasing an excellent saw, it'll take 15 tanks or so for it to get really broke in if your using Ultra, it'll just keep getting better. We love using our two 261's. If your dealer will, after you get it good and broke in have him pull the limiters and tach tune it to 13,850 wide open throttle, it really makes them have more bottom end than you ever thought possible in a 50cc saw. New 261 rep sent!

Thats a nice skid steer! One of my buddies that I help from time to time just bought a 297 Cat. They are definitely the Caddilac of skid steers. He had two T250 Bobcats before and the Cat is a much nicer but more expensive machine. He also has a 262 Cat wheeled machine that wears the forks or the streacher most of the time. He runs the driver on the 297.

Back