new Stihl!! pics inside...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
So not that exciting but thought I would share that I have 2-3 new (well new to me) 009-009L's. Pics are of the one that runs so far $50 and all it needed was fresh gas! Got 4 decent chains with it too! Need a couple new bars but that can wait for a while. I'm thinking 14in bars when I do get new ones in case anyone wants to suggest a good bar or bar&chain combo... Mostly just using them for limbing to save my forearms from my 6401... probably to cut stumps out too since i don't want to get my 6401 chain and bar into dirt.

Question..?? My other 009's are in parts and I noticed I need at least 1 clutch cover w/ chain break... Looked around on ebay and it looks like the 009-009L also have the same side cover as the 010-011-012... IS that right???? Just want to make sure they are compatible before ordering one!

Well here's the chainsaw pics... i'll get better ones next time these are the ones the seller sent to me origionally...
stihl1.jpg

stihl2.jpg

Last edited:
I got some 14" bars in Bailey's Closeouts, hobby or timber champ I think? I matched that with an Oregon chain.

k... I'll take a look.

Man... 34 views and nobody knows if the 010-011-012 clutch cover will fit on my 009's??????

Maybe I'll go ask in the stihl thread...

Where you at in Iowa, I'm near Carroll? I have a 010AV if you want to come over and try. It looks really close! Don't you just love that 6401 and the 009 mix? I run a 6401, 010AV, 670 Champ, 038 Super, and a few more.

Yes, the covers with the chain brake are interchangeable between the 009.010.011 and 012. Biggest difference is if you want a metal or composite(plastic) cover.

Do you need the whole brake assembly in addition to the clutch cover or just the cover? I think I have a cover but no brake parts.

Last edited:
Yep they are the same. I might have some brake parts and maybe a cover. PM me if your still needing one. Mine might be orange instead of white though.

Where you at in Iowa, I'm near Carroll? I have a 010AV if you want to come over and try. It looks really close! Don't you just love that 6401 and the 009 mix? I run a 6401, 010AV, 670 Champ, 038 Super, and a few more.

I'm south of Des Moines 10mins but my wife went to IKM and her family is in Irwin... Looks like I got my answer so I don't need to drive out... I LOVE my 6401! The guys on here couldn't have steered me to a better choice for a good all purpose firewood saw. I just get tired in the forearms after about 2-4 hrs of use so that's why I got the 009's. Plus my dad likes to come out and putter around... I'll trust him with a 009 but not the 6401. The 009 takes 40:1 right? I might just strart getting that Opti-1 all purpose 2 cycle mix so I don't have to worry about mixing 2-3 different ratio gases. My buddy wanted to sell me his 038 super that I had used and while it was a good saw I really couldn't pass on my 6401 for $100.

Yes, the covers with the chain brake are interchangeable between the 009.010.011 and 012. Biggest difference is if you want a metal or composite(plastic) cover.

Cool... I thought I was seeing some metal covers on ebay.

Do you need the whole brake assembly in addition to the clutch cover or just the cover? I think I have a cover but no brake parts.

Yep they are the same. I might have some brake parts and maybe a cover. PM me if your still needing one. Mine might be orange instead of white though.

Honestly not sure yet guys... I bought a box of parts from my mower dealer... he switched to dolmar from stihl and had this box labeled 009/009L in back, so I bought it for $20!

I saw 3 piston and crank cases and a bunch of other parts but noticed I'm missing the following:
1.) handle and throttle trigger
2.) two wrap around handles
3.) 2 side covers (both clutch side)
4.) one carb cover (orange I'm guessing)
5.) 2 gas caps (?? the caps closest to the carb are gone)

Other than that I'm not sure what I need. I just took a quick look at the parts but haven't laid them all out or tried to reassemble yet. Not sure how many I'll be able to salvage out of this box. Maybe only 1-2 have good pistons... I just don't know yet.

Last edited:
I'm south of Des Moines 10mins but my wife went to IKM and her family is in Irwin... Looks like I got my answer so I don't need to drive out... I LOVE my 6401! The guys on here couldn't have steered me to a better choice for a good all purpose firewood saw. I just get tired in the forearms after about 2-4 hrs of use so that's why I got the 009's. Plus my dad likes to come out and putter around... I'll trust him with a 009 but not the 6401. The 009 takes 40:1 right? I might just strart getting that Opti-1 all purpose 2 cycle mix so I don't have to worry about mixing 2-3 different ratio gases. My buddy wanted to sell me his 038 super that I had used and while it was a good saw I really couldn't pass on my 6401 for $100.

Cool, I did just buy 40 acres buy Redfield and get down your way quite often. I bought my 6401 new from Bailey's for $475 and picked up a second one for $125(gave it to my brother), but they are awesome. I run 44:1 with pure 87 and Woodland Pro synthetic in everything 2-stroke I own. If you tune it to the fuel you're running you will be fine. I know what you're saying about your Dad running your 6401, my Dad runs a MS170 and I let him have a crack with the 6401 and I couldn't watch, but he did have a smile from ear to ear! I do like my 038 Super but I gave under $100 for it too. I did look at my cover last night and it does look different but it is orange and doesn't have a break.

Cool, I did just buy 40 acres buy Redfield and get down your way quite often. I bought my 6401 new from Bailey's for $475 and picked up a second one for $125(gave it to my brother), but they are awesome. I run 44:1 with pure 87 and Woodland Pro synthetic in everything 2-stroke I own. If you tune it to the fuel you're running you will be fine. I know what you're saying about your Dad running your 6401, my Dad runs a MS170 and I let him have a crack with the 6401 and I couldn't watch, but he did have a smile from ear to ear! I do like my 038 Super but I gave under $100 for it too. I did look at my cover last night and it does look different but it is orange and doesn't have a break.

Yeah i read the early 009's didn't have breaks on them... Deer hunting in Redfield???

Last edited:
Yeah i read the early 009's didn't have breaks on them... Deer hunting in Redfield???

Hoping too! Is it any good? It is all timber oaks and hickeries. Hope to get there this year for the rut but doesn't look good for that, I will be there for gun seasons though.

Another 009 question...

these will be the first Stihls I work on so please bear with me...

I noticed that there are 2 different air cleaner/carb covers. One has a horizontal choak slide and one has a verticle choak slide. Just wondering if this might indicate which carb lies beneath the cover???? I know there are Walbro and Zama carbs that come in these. I am guessing there will be need for carb rebuilds. I'm planning on dismantling the carbs one at a time and dumping all the parts into my Berrymans 1gal carb cleaner bucket and then reassembling with new seals.

Anyone have a link to a thread that will help me identify which carb is which??? Just so I know what carb kits to buy...

Hoping too! Is it any good? It is all timber oaks and hickeries. Hope to get there this year for the rut but doesn't look good for that, I will be there for gun seasons though.

Give me the address and I'll go find out for you! LOL!

As far as I can tell the air filter covers are interchangeable. They came with vertical and horizontal choke slides and two colors, black or orange. Somewhere on the carburetor the maker and model are stamped. But i do know that if you look at the metering diaphragm cover, the Walbro will be square and have 4 screws holding it on. The Zama cover is more sculpted and only uses 2 screws to hold it on.Both manufacturers have good Web sites that give lots of information and exploded views of their carburetors. They will also tell you which kit to use when rebuilding.

Back