New stove search

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseracing

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This cold snap has put me over the edge, it's time for my Napoleon 1400 to start looking for a new home. The stove was put in by a PO in '09, I've been using it since '10. It just doesn't put out enough heat for my old house that is 1700sq ft, nor get an overnight burn once we get below freezing. The other big gripe is if I do try to heat the house right now on high, I end up with an 8" high bed of coals that takes 4hrs to burn down, and then the house is cold again.

So I am going for a bigger heater. I plan to add onto the house as well. I am looking at ones designed for 2500sqft and up but they must be a 6" flue, outside air kit, and at least 3 cubic foot firebox. Most of those have stated 10-12 hour burn times, which I would expect heat for at least 6-8hrs.

I have a broken leg right now so I haven't looked at any of the new ones in person yet. But so far I am looking at:

Lopi Cape Cod
Lopi Liberty

Quadrafire 5700?

BK Princess - low end of my scale, small firebox

I like the idea of larger wood as well. Right now with 16" lengths I can barely get 2 layers of wood in the Napoleon. Are there any dealers online of the Lopi's, I seem to have issues tracking prices down.

I like the style of the Cape Cod, the grates in the bottom have me intrigued if they are just for ash or if there is air flow. If I could get my coals burnt in the Napoleon without losing so much heat in the house I could probably deal with it for a few more years. I just can't get enough heat output from it though.

Other stoves I should look at?

I have been looking too. I am about 99% set on a pacific energy summit insert. I THINK it has a 3 cubic foot firebox, rated for 3000 sq. ft., 6 inch flue and comes in a stove model as well. The dealer is a friend so I trust his recommendation. He sells blaze king and regency as well. He has a summit in his home.

Quadra-Fire 5700 is worth a look. I love my 4300. No problem burning on the firebrick, personally grates don't hold much appeal, for that matter the 4300 has an ash drawer that has never been used, just push the coals to one side and scoop out the ash, repeat on other side, do so about 2 times a week. All night burns are no problem. With this cold weather recently, I've loaded it at 12:00pm with the house at 72 and woken up at 7am to a bed of coals and the house at 68. Not bad imho when the overnight low had been around 5 and windchill near -15. Have not used a drop of propane during this cold snap, just the way it should be.

I am interested the grates for air getting under the coals, instead of just the top. I think the ash drawer I have makes just as much dust as scooping them into a bucket.

I haven't used any propane for heating this winter either, the furnace is dead and hasn't been fixed yet. House temp has been i the 40's a few times this week.

I am interested the grates for air getting under the coals, instead of just the top. I think the ash drawer I have makes just as much dust as scooping them into a bucket.

I haven't used any propane for heating this winter either, the furnace is dead and hasn't been fixed yet. House temp has been i the 40's a few times this week.

Most of the new stoves recommend against using a grate. The secondary burn or the cat uses the smoke to burn. If I understand the concept correctly. Not saying I do.

If it's a big monster heater you are looking for, may I recommend the Enerzone 3.4? It's about the biggest plate steel stove available on the market.

It's a 3.4 cu ft firebox, therefore much bigger than the Lopi, PE & Quad.

It comes standard with a blower, heavy duty bricks, Heat Exchanger, 3/8" plate steel, Ash drawer, lifetime warranty on glass (even if the kids break it) and on secondary burn tubes. All of this for about $2,100.

And to boot in January you get a free 5-ton electric log splitter with it!

Compare the price of Lopi, PE & Quad and you're in the $2,500 to $3,000 range and you still dont have a blower, exchanger, Ash drawer, Lifetime warranty Enerzone offers.

As far as Sq Ft ratings, take it with a huge grain of salt. Wood stoves are 'Zone Heaters' and it all depends on your house insulation and how you move air around it.

It weights 550 Lbs so that's a lot of stove for the money... Check it out here: EPA certified Solution 3.4 wood stove 100000 BTU by Enerzone

We make them so if you have any questions let me know.

If it's a big monster heater you are looking for, may I recommend the Enerzone 3.4? It's about the biggest plate steel stove available on the market.

It's a 3.4 cu ft firebox, therefore much bigger than the Lopi, PE & Quad.

It comes standard with a blower, heavy duty bricks, Heat Exchanger, 3/8" plate steel, Ash drawer, lifetime warranty on glass (even if the kids break it) and on secondary burn tubes. All of this for about $2,100.

And to boot in January you get a free 5-ton electric log splitter with it!

Compare the price of Lopi, PE & Quad and you're in the $2,500 to $3,000 range and you still dont have a blower, exchanger, Ash drawer, Lifetime warranty Enerzone offers.

As far as Sq Ft ratings, take it with a huge grain of salt. Wood stoves are 'Zone Heaters' and it all depends on your house insulation and how you move air around it.

It weights 550 Lbs so that's a lot of stove for the money... Check it out here: EPA certified Solution 3.4 wood stove 100000 BTU by Enerzone

We make them so if you have any questions let me know.

No dealers near me.

Back