New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 982696
First part load in the new trailer. What a pleasure it was to load with the mini giant! We had it set up so when we were done chipping, we just pulled up a little and the dump trailer was right there waiting. Very efficient for just a little bit of wood like this.

Next step is junking a couple old vehicles out behind my shop, selling (two) trailers now, then I’m going to spread processed gravel all the way out to the edges. I have a plan where I can get every square inch of this place properly utilized, then it’ll be just big enough for operations to run smoothly.

One of the big things is I want an area I can keep open to back the trailer in and dump loads like this during smaller jobs, then back the log truck in when there’s enough junk wood to make a good full load. I make out much better at the dump this way, plus it’s just more efficient for the smaller jobs bringing them home like this.
You guys will be scratching for weeks with all tha P.I. attached to the tree. We love our dump trailor for this purpose. Man the baby giant can sure load the dump trailor high. I really hope that it's working out for you guys! It soon becomes an extension of your body!

The 6" of snow is already gone. Nice job at a residential property today. Jason's trying to remember how to set up the GRCS. I think it's the first time this year we've used it... also installed the porty upside down. 0 for 2!

The tree came down nicely though. We span rigged it between the spruce on each side and took out 4' chunks at a time from the bottom.

Also cabled a couple big gnarly walnuts. Little bit of cleanup left for tomorrow. Corning, NY has treated us well.... I am still stunned at how cheap workers comp is in what I thought was a very liberal litigious state- 7.83%! We'll be working up here a lot more.

View attachment 982745View attachment 982746
Nice. That is super cheap work comp! We're kind of in the same boat for the GRCS. I think most of us are. We don't use it often but it's nice to have when you need it.

Played hooky yesterday and started phase one of the shop yard expansion project. Amazing how much land I built up around the edges (intentionally) over the years from dumping chips, doing firewood, plowing things around and letting them rot. Next step is a huge load of 1” processed around the edges (eventually finishing with 3/4”) … that and getting rid of the last of the unwanted iron once and for all. Eventually I’m gonna make a pad of processed and stick a storage container right under that 20 x 8’ chip top.

I love working around the yard. This will be the culmination of years of ongoing efforts and the finishing the tree service yard once and for all. Hard to imagine it’s finally gotten down to just this.
FCB74D6F-3617-42F6-A61F-8DB7E35A7DAF.jpeg0411BB9A-B868-4A8D-8419-83EA9F4FE5FE.jpegD30B5125-2070-453B-8B98-2F4D0233493D.jpeg598CA75A-5BC6-4040-B92E-59F9939EE6AF.jpeg

Nice. That is super cheap work comp! We're kind of in the same boat for the GRCS. I think most of us are. We don't use it often but it's nice to have when you need it.

I love my grcs and I use it a lot, but still as sparingly as possible, if that makes sense. Problem is while I feel it’s much safer for myself, it puts the ground guy (often times) right under the load. This makes me uncomfortable with the situation. I always try to position it on the back of the tree, away from the main rigging point, but that’s just not always possible… and even at that not really the safest scenario.

That said I still use it quite a bit. My reasoning/justification is that if done properly there’s almost no shock load whatsoever, just like pieces coming gently off the tree with a crane. That and I try to always keep my ropes and rigging gear relatively fresh, double check everything, etc. Tree work not being child’s play and all.

Edit: I mostly just use it for the wood these days.

kinda off topic, anyone know a good way to whiten a gas tank? im buying a 200T friday and the gas tank looks like crap on an otherwise pretty clean saw, wanna clean it up and make it look nice!
im thinking I may have to scotchbrite the whole outside of the tank, and get the outer "layer" of plastic off, thoughts?

1650847989902.png1650848002887.png

kinda off topic, anyone know a good way to whiten a gas tank? im buying a 200T friday and the gas tank looks like crap on an otherwise pretty clean saw, wanna clean it up and make it look nice!
im thinking I may have to scotchbrite the whole outside of the tank, and get the outer "layer" of plastic off, thoughts?

View attachment 983545View attachment 983546
Buy a new one to go with all the other new bits on the saw.

your right, its only $50
im sure you have a 200, how do you like it?

No doubt they are a weapon, an iconic saw & good to build a business with.

But for me personally, longevity is important & the 200's have pound for pound the worst vibration I've found, particularly for a climbing saw. Along with their noise levels & fuel inefficiency.

So with HAVS considered, will generally run with the 190's then just jump up to 261 or bigger, it's more of a novelty saw these days.

I run my 194 modded (I pulled out the deflector that holds the spark screen), it rips like no other saw ive ran now (seriously, I run it in stuff I should run my 261, it just cuts faster)
but, Im getting the 200 for a saw that I can beat on for 10 years, I know itll go through carbs, I dont mind so long as its got the power to drag a 14 or 16" bar thru some stuff maybe a tophandle really shouldnt lol

I love my grcs and I use it a lot, but still as sparingly as possible, if that makes sense. Problem is while I feel it’s much safer for myself, it puts the ground guy (often times) right under the load. This makes me uncomfortable with the situation. I always try to position it on the back of the tree, away from the main rigging point, but that’s just not always possible… and even at that not really the safest scenario.

That said I still use it quite a bit. My reasoning/justification is that if done properly there’s almost no shock load whatsoever, just like pieces coming gently off the tree with a crane. That and I try to always keep my ropes and rigging gear relatively fresh, double check everything, etc. Tree work not being child’s play and all.

Edit: I mostly just use it for the wood these days.

You could just put it on a different tree with a block above it to keep the rope straight. Or there is also the truck hitch mount available but I've never used it and I'm not sure I would care for that very much.

You could just put it on a different tree with a block above it to keep the rope straight. Or there is also the truck hitch mount available but I've never used it and I'm not sure I would care for that very much.

Yeah we’ve done that quite a bit but the problem is it’s kind of a rare situation where that’s practical. Either the rope is in the way of lowering stuff, or the tree you’re using the grcs on is a keeper, so you have to remove the cut in visor… or it’s just far enough away that now you need a 2 -300’ rope just for this scenario. You need two more pulleys, so it gets a little gear intensive… But it’s definitely a good thing keep an eye open for when that just right situation presents itself.

I could see one on a rear mount bucket being handy if it was attached differently and not just stuck in a hitch tube. That and if it had a post with its own pulley to redirect the rope into it on top, maybe something like that. Again though, it just gets to be too much.

No doubt they are a weapon, an iconic saw & good to build a business with.

But for me personally, longevity is important & the 200's have pound for pound the worst vibration I've found, particularly for a climbing saw. Along with their noise levels & fuel inefficiency.

So with HAVS considered, will generally run with the 190's then just jump up to 261 or bigger, it's more of a novelty saw these days.

I run 201 tcm’s now. They’re an acceptable enough saw. Seems like the old 200’s were easier to pull start and I miss the on and off switch on the 200’s.

Other than that, life goes on. Lol.

I was just thinking yesterday how gear obsessed the new guys are. I mean I think it’s good that things have evolved (to a certain point), but how much is too much?

I remember the old days when you got a 150’ piece of safety blue with a clip, a saddle, spikes and a short line (lanyard). Here’s how to tie your climbing knot.(taughtline hitch), now let’s get to the actual tree work. I almost feel bad for kids these days.

I was just thinking yesterday how gear obsessed the new guys are. I mean I think it’s good that things have evolved (to a certain point), but how much is too much?

I remember the old days when you got a 150’ piece of safety blue with a clip, a saddle, spikes and a short line (lanyard). Here’s how to tie your climbing knot.(taughtline hitch), now let’s get to the actual tree work. I almost feel bad for kids these days.
should see my setup, ive got 1 pair of spikes, a saddle, one climb line, and a few lanyards, I use 2, wirecore for removals, rope for pruning w/o spikes
I do use a unicender daily, but ive got a few hitchclimber pulleys, rope wrench, and what I climbed on for a long time before I could afford the fancy gear, blakes or tautline, have also used the "suicide knot" for my lanyard once, couldnt get a hitch to work (bad cord to rope combo, and it was wet)

keep an open mind, use whatever you have to

I run 201 tcm’s now. They’re an acceptable enough saw. Seems like the old 200’s were easier to pull start and I miss the on and off switch on the 200’s.

Other than that, life goes on. Lol.
Run a couple of the 201's, pound for pound, prefer my 192, usually give them (the 201's) to my other climbers.

That said, did a solid climb with a 201TCM today, wasn't terrible, multiple large leaders, so was alternating between the 201 & a 500 for each tree within the tree. For real acrobatic cutting, much prefer the lighter weight of the 192.

Latest posts

Back